Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

PicklePod05

New in Town
Hi everyone, I've been looking through the thread, and gotten a pretty good idea of how to do my hair, but I have a couple questions. I have very long (about to my waist), very curly, very thick hair. I'm looking for fairly quick, simple things I can do on a daily basis (having a 5 month old baby doesn't leave much time for the more complex, time consuming do's everyday). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this with my hair? Also, I'm not sure what to do with the back of my hair once the rolls are done. (I'm very new at this) [huh] Any suggestions or tips would be very much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Naama

Practically Family
PicklePod05 said:
I have very long (about to my waist), very curly, very thick hair.

Ok, since I don't know much about 40's hairdos, rolls and things.... I only have one little suggestion for you, you really should cut your hair a bit! It'l be very, very hard for you to work with so long hair, trust me! You should really think about it.

Naama

PicklePod05

New in Town
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I love having my hair the length it is, but I'll take your word for it that it will be too hard to deal with. I figured it would be, but I was hoping there would be a way around it. Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess:p Now to find a hairdresser that knows how to cut it so I can style it right... lol

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Pickle, you might try doing rolls in the front, and then rolling the remaining hair into a large roll across the back of your head at the nape of your neck. It might look a little big because your hair is so long, but it's worth trying it to see. If you like it, you might be able to get by without a major chop.

PicklePod05

New in Town
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try as soon as I get enough time. My daughter's at the point where she'd rather stay up and play and look around than sleep lol She fights it until she just can't keep her eyes open any longer, but still only sleeps for about 30 min. lol Hopefully I'll get the chance to give it a try soon, I've gotten so many good tips from here, I can't wait to try! :) I hope it works :)

WoeSis

New in Town
Pickle,

Have you tried snoods? Granted, you'd need one with a lot of room, but a snood at the nape is quite lovely. Try the style Queenie suggested and put that roll in a snood, perhaps add some flowers to the side or back of your head, too.

Good luck!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I had a photoshoot today... I had my hair a la Veronica Lake. Here are a few photos. I hope they aren't too big.

4-06028g.jpg

4-06043d.jpg

4-06003e.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
humblestumble said:
I absolutely love your hair, Woesis! OMG! And Lolitahaze!

Hehehe Thank you. This was the first time I had my hair in a nice smooth (flat) Veronica style. Usually when I set my hair I let it sit longer and the curls are bigger and fluffier giving me more of a Rita look.

I want to start doing more pin-uppy shoots, but I always end up with vintage movie star/Burlesque glamour photos. I do have a few pin-up shots, but they include me in undergarments (tastefully like you would see in pin-up art), but I think it is against the rules to post those. I will have to ask Lauren for sure.

Lauren... May I post my pin-up style photos that include me in undergarments (think Vargas and Elvgren)?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lolita, if the pics are done tastefully (not erotic) and there's no nudity with certain body parts showing, it should be fine. If you want to send the photos or a link to the photos to either Lauren or I in the event that you're not sure, we'd be more than happy to preview them. My email is:
wickie7@earthlink.net (I'm not sure of Lauren's email.)

PicklePod05

New in Town
I looked up some snoods on Ebay yesterday, and found some very pretty ones. However, I have no idea how to go about putting it on right, all the pictures have them over the model's whole head :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
LolitaHaze said:
Lauren... May I post my pin-up style photos that include me in undergarments (think Vargas and Elvgren)?

Hi! Either message them to me or to ITG and we'll take a look and let you know if they're suitable for posting. Thanks so much for asking first!! :arated:

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
Hehehe Thank you. This was the first time I had my hair in a nice smooth (flat) Veronica style. Usually when I set my hair I let it sit longer and the curls are bigger and fluffier giving me more of a Rita look.

I want to start doing more pin-uppy shoots, but I always end up with vintage movie star/Burlesque glamour photos. I do have a few pin-up shots, but they include me in undergarments (tastefully like you would see in pin-up art), but I think it is against the rules to post those. I will have to ask Lauren for sure.

Lolita,

Your hair is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Tin Pan Sally said:
LolitaHaze said:
I had a photoshoot today... I had my hair a la Veronica Lake. Here are a few photos. I hope they aren't too big.
Never looked better! Was this a Matilda's Closet shoot?

Thanks Sally! It wasn't a "Matilda's Closet" in the way of it was for Matilda's Closet, but it was shoot at Matilda's Closet! LOL My girlfriend and I wanted to do a fun quick little shoot, but she wasn't feeling well so it was just me.

Amapola

Familiar Face
rolls

I have enjoyed reading all about hair. I have tried pin curls--my avatar shows them. They came out really frizzy!

In the pictures, I have curled my hair all over with a curling iron, then brushed out the back a little to make it more wavy. For the rolls, I used a John Amico hair product called curling iron texturizer. It sprays on, then the heat activates it. It holds a curl but keeps it shiny. Anyhow, I rolled the curling iron up and left the whole curl intact. while the curl was still hot I rolled it onto one of my daughter's hot sticks and pinned the ends to hold while the curl cooled. Then, I slid out the hot stick after I sprayed the roll into place.

I do have roll questions, though. For the bangs, should they be included in one of the rolls? I felt that my bangs were lackluster, and I wasn't sure what to do with them! The rolls weren't very big, either. I should try the back-combing thing again. I tried once and it was a disaster!

Also, for what activities/events did women wear their hair in rolls? Or,any hair style, for that matter? For example, were rolls every day, or only for evening activities? I would like to come up with a hair style that would be a bit more glamorous on me than the rolls. What do you ladies think?

Here are some pictures of my rolls. I apologize if the images are grainy. I cropped them out of bigger pictures so you could see my hair better.

carrie roll.JPG

carrie roll 2.JPG

carrie roll 3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy