Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Rosie

One Too Many
I was telling my mom about all of the pin curl discussing here and she PROMISED she would teacch me how to do pincurls this weekend, she and her sister, my auntie, used to do them ALL of the time. She also told me when they didn't have hair pins on hand, (there were five sisters, all with long thick hair) some of them would use rags or get this, brown paper bag rippings. This I've got to see. She also said she would give me pictures of her mom (my gram) and her twin all dolled up in their 40's best. As soon as I try out the methods my mom and auntie give me and if I get the pictures of my gram and her twin, I'll post here.

Thus far, I've been learning so much from all of you. Thanks!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
And if you want volume, I have two new products I've been using lately that I absolutely love, plus they smell great :D
1. Sebastian Body Double
2. Sebastian evokativ (curvaceous volume mousse)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That is fabulous!! What a great idea doing pics! We should take pics of every hair "process" and make a sticky! Anyone else wanna donate photos for "hair tutorials"? :)

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I dont mind doing another one... I did that roll in like 3 minutes, so its messy. If I took my time, I could make it look neater and take a few more photos. I think a sticky with photos of our hair process is a GREAT idea. Maybe when I do my hair this weekend before going out, I'll take some pictures to get it started.

Good thinking Lauren!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that is a great idea...it seems there's a few of us in here who need to be shown how you guys do your hair..I know for me, pictures help me understand more of what you're talking about than just reading it on a thread

Barbigirl

Practically Family
AtomicBlonde said:
hahaha... I snapped the picture and realized what a stupid face I made. Eh well. Glad the pictures helped.

Hey! The backcombing thing didn't even occur to me. I have to try that next time.

I was being an imbecile yesterday and when I went to get my roots colored I told her to make the whole this a tad lighter! I totally look like a brassy haired Barbie 8-/ I think she should definately have gone with an ash shade instead!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I hate hair disasters! I've had plenty of them :) I've finally figured out to use the ash shades as well, since it best compliments my skin type...I just colored my hair not too long ago a dark brown (it's a little scary going that dark when used to being a blond!) anyways, it's the best my hair has looked in a long time...no matter the cost, it's worth it to go to a good hair salon

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I had one hair disaster... when I was about 13 I got my hair cut really short and the lady did an awful job of it... being less than well endowed at the time, I looked like a boy! :( for years after that I never let anyone come near my hair, ended up growing it about midway down my back... a few years ago I finally cut my hair short again, decided I didnt like it as I have a round face that doesnt take well to short hair, in my opinion. I've been keeping it a little longer than shoulder length since then. I'm scared to death to get my hair colored... which I dont think I really need since my hair has natural highlights anyway. I've always wanted to try being a redhead, but I'm so freaked out about having a botched color job that I wont do it! :( Maybe one of these days I'll grow some kahunas and try it out... especially since I'd really like to do pin curls and try some really cute shorter 1940's styles!

mandolynn

New in Town
You'd probably look very good with at the shoulder length hair or just past the shoulder length hair. You can do shorter 40's style hair-dos but your hair will still be long.

And I just dyed my hair black because I was tired of it being red. I think it looks much nicer with my current haircut than the red did. I have a round face and I made the terrible mistake of cutting my hair just past my chin so all I can really do with my hair is fingerwave it and do small rolls. I still can't do pin curls very well, everytime I do it I think I wind them too tightly because my hair always looks like an afro :(.

maisie

Practically Family
I absolutely love Rita Hayworth's hairstyle's! Whether she was a redhead or blond or had long or short hair she still looked amazing.

rita_hayworth_gallery_51.jpg
RitaHayworth.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
AtomicBlonde said:
I had one hair disaster... when I was about 13 I got my hair cut really short and the lady did an awful job of it... being less than well endowed at the time, I looked like a boy! :( for years after that I never let anyone come near my hair, ended up growing it about midway down my back... a few years ago I finally cut my hair short again, decided I didnt like it as I have a round face that doesnt take well to short hair, in my opinion. I've been keeping it a little longer than shoulder length since then. I'm scared to death to get my hair colored... which I dont think I really need since my hair has natural highlights anyway. I've always wanted to try being a redhead, but I'm so freaked out about having a botched color job that I wont do it! :( Maybe one of these days I'll grow some kahunas and try it out... especially since I'd really like to do pin curls and try some really cute shorter 1940's styles!

Grey hair standing out like beacons of light on top of my head gave me kahunas

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
when dying hair, go to a professional! I had the great idea of dying my hair red, the hair didn't quite take and turned a bright pink! I"ve learned the hard way that the color on the hair color boxes isn't necessarily what you're gonna get :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21