Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

kizarny

New in Town
Hot Roller Heaven for me. I've since cut about 18 inches off of my hair. It's been a pleasure looking at your pictures and reading how you accomplished your gorgeous looks. I can't wait to try pincurls again (the last time was a not exactly a roaring success. I have my fingers crossed that this picture thing will work. If it doesn't, it's just a larger version of my avatar.

Jody

Jody.jpg

Maria

New in Town
I love all the pictures you girls posted here! Everyone's hair looks so beautiful!!!

I found some pictures of me, but they're not the best ones, since I took them myself...

5 months ago I had my hair cut like Clara Bow's.

My hair is now shoulder length, and I often make pin curls, using pretty much the same method as Vanessa (lovely hair you have Vanessa, by the way :)

A 1940's inspired hairdo :)

The first time I attempted to make marcel waves, two years ago or so... I had to use a lot of setting lotion, for I didn't know the right way to make the waves.

Too bad I don't have any picture of me with 'real' marcel waves... But here is a nice tutorial on how to make marcel waves :)

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
I actually went to get my hair cut today and told my hairdresser that I want to be able to do my hair up in 1940's styles. And she got all excited. She loves the 1940's she says! She watches just about nothing but those movies, studies the fashion and hair styles and everything. How about that? Here I was thinking I'd get laughed at but instead she thinks it's a grand idea. And as she's studying my hair, she goes, "Have you ever seen the movie Laura?" Silly question! So she says, "Well, you've got the right kind of hair, so if you want, I can cut it so that when it's a longer you can do Gene Tierney's hairstyles from that movie." Cool!!! She said later this year, when I've got a couple more inches on the length she'll show me how to do stuff.

In the meantime, I did my first pincurls the other night... I can see that's going to take a lot of practice! My problem is more figuring out what to do after you've got the pile of curls... how do you get it to sweep up just so? I know, practice practice practice and keep reading up on how you all are doing it until something clicks! I'll get there! If I turn out something halfway decent, even with my hair short like it is now, I'll post a picture here.

In the meantime, I'll just admire all of you who can turn out such awesome hairstyles!

Von Dee

New in Town
RetroModelSari said:
I wanna contribute some photos of my hair, too...

Here I had used small rollers and worn them over night. Afterwards I just pinned them all in place and I was done!
c758.jpg

Here I was using my curling iron to do on roll in the front and two at the sides. For the hair in the back I used one of those foam rolls and rolled my hair around it and pinned it afterwards.
5398.jpg
OMG, Sari... I missed seeing your face. How are ya dollface? I hope your good!' Well since I'm not on myspace any longer, maybe we keep chat on here from time to time, Keep in touch, & hey if you see Kat, pull her hair for me... haha... Luv ya!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Maria, your red hair is gorgeous!
I've tried rag curls on my oldest girl (I'm glad she doesn't mind being the guinea pig!) I got halfway through with her hair and gave up...this thread is good cause it'll get me motivated again!...a friend of mine did that with her daughter's hair and it turned out beautiful, I wish I had a picture of it to show you!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Dixon's Dame said:
I actually went to get my hair cut today and told my hairdresser that I want to be able to do my hair up in 1940's styles. And she got all excited. She loves the 1940's she says! She watches just about nothing but those movies, studies the fashion and hair styles and everything. How about that? Here I was thinking I'd get laughed at but instead she thinks it's a grand idea. And as she's studying my hair, she goes, "Have you ever seen the movie Laura?" Silly question! So she says, "Well, you've got the right kind of hair, so if you want, I can cut it so that when it's a longer you can do Gene Tierney's hairstyles from that movie." Cool!!! She said later this year, when I've got a couple more inches on the length she'll show me how to do stuff.

In the meantime, I did my first pincurls the other night... I can see that's going to take a lot of practice! My problem is more figuring out what to do after you've got the pile of curls... how do you get it to sweep up just so? I know, practice practice practice and keep reading up on how you all are doing it until something clicks! I'll get there! If I turn out something halfway decent, even with my hair short like it is now, I'll post a picture here.

In the meantime, I'll just admire all of you who can turn out such awesome hairstyles!

You've been blessed to find a vintage-minded hairstylist. And don't forget the pictures!

Nora Charles

New in Town
Vanessa said:
You've been blessed to find a vintage-minded hairstylist. And don't forget the pictures!

You are blessed! I asked my hairdresser if she would do my hair in pincurls just so I could see once what it should look like, and she looked at me like I had asked her to shave my head! She said that if wanted to book that appointment, she would be out of the country!

I did talk her into showing me one, so I could see, and I definetly have my work cut out for me! Although she did show me how to do a finger wave and that looked great on my shorter layered hair. Oh well...practice, practice patience!

Maria

New in Town
mysterygal said:
Maria, your red hair is gorgeous!
I've tried rag curls on my oldest girl (I'm glad she doesn't mind being the guinea pig!) I got halfway through with her hair and gave up...this thread is good cause it'll get me motivated again!...a friend of mine did that with her daughter's hair and it turned out beautiful, I wish I had a picture of it to show you!

Thank you very much, Mysterygal! :)
Try rag curls again on your oldest girl, and show us the pictures, I'd love to see them!

And Dixon's Dame, you're SO lucky to have (as Vanessa said) a vintage-minded hairstylist! I wish mine were vintage-minded too, but he's not (he actualy told me the other day that he loves those bizarre 1980's hairstyles :confused:)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I just tried a new stylist yesterday. I asked her if she does 40s styles. She doesn't but another girl in the shop does and specializes in fingerwaves and she can do rolls and pincurls to boot. I may have to splurge one day try for a fun style.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
First try ever

so check it out.....I was goofing around with the hot rollers and and trying to figure out what to do with with hair for this hat in my avatar. Suggestions for more defined rolls? I tried to squash up a nylon knee hi with some of my hair in it but it didn't work well for me. I ended up putting a baby hair pin on the ends then using it as a mini curler.

c8a4aaae.jpg

e78ee342.jpg

08aa8c91.jpg

Dang my hair looks so redish????

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Looks good to me! For tighter rolls try rolling it wet and then drying the rest of your hair. That worked well once for me. But I really like how you have it styled there.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
ITG said:
Looks good to me! For tighter rolls try rolling it wet and then drying the rest of your hair. That worked well once for me. But I really like how you have it styled there.

OH! Thanks, that's a good idea, I need to pick up some other kinds of hair product to attempt a smoother look. I will try again next weekend, seems I have zero time during the week.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Barbigirl...I also think your hair looks great. Your hair looks like the kind that curls easily....mine is so straight, I'll curl it and a half hour later it's flat. I guess the cure for it is to goo it up...I"m wondering though...if there's something out there that holds the curl yet lets the hair have that 'touchable' look

Barbigirl

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
Barbigirl...I also think your hair looks great. Your hair looks like the kind that curls easily....mine is so straight, I'll curl it and a half hour later it's flat. I guess the cure for it is to goo it up...I"m wondering though...if there's something out there that holds the curl yet lets the hair have that 'touchable' look

My hair is naturally wavy and it does curl well initially but then it relaxes quickly (Seattle moisture perhaps?) But I tried this once and I will try it again soon. I had put some curling gel in it then let it dry. Then I had this sculpting wax stuff that I used to use when my hair was really short. (I will have to look for what kind) So, then I put the hot rollers in and when they came out, the curl lasted for 2 days!

Irena

One of the Regulars
Hello!

Does anyone have ideas or pictures of 30s or 40s hair that isn't short and doesn't involve many rolls? My hair is a couple of inches past my shoulders, and takes a curl pretty well. I very picky about how I do my hair - I think I prefer to have it up off of my neck. I'd appreciate the help.

Irena

Dis

New in Town
My hair is literally four feet long and thick. I would love to come up with a vintage looking style that is not school marmish. Anyone have any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto