Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I have pretty short hair with "bettie" bangs, and I'm thinking about growing all of it out, it's really, really layered right now, and the front is way longer than the back. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I can do while it grows out. Or a good tute for finger waves.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
growing bangs out is a pain! believe me I know from personal experience! I've always waited until my bangs were getting into my eyes before worrying about what to do with them...when they get to that point, invest in some cuye headbands and hair clips....your gonna be stuck wearing your hair up for awhile until you can actually do something with them, so hopefully your hair grows fast!

Tin Pan Sally

You gals are so gorgeous, I hesitate to post anything here. Oh well, I'm just here to make you all look good. :eek:

05flowersnood.JPG

Up-do

06HAIRFLOWER.JPG

The typical hair flower (yawn) worn with vintage crystal rhinestone screw-back earrings and vintage brass button bolero.

This looked better before I'd been out in the wind, but you get the idea. I'm wearing an inherited mink stole w/matching clip-on earrings.
MinkNov05.jpg

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Beautiful! ;)

Im going to be having a friend over soon to redo my hair retro/ vintage style, and also I'm bleaching a stripe (like rogue from xmen) cant wait to see how it turns out! And I'll be posting the results ;)

Vanessa

One Too Many
Hi there. They're doing a show this month at my University (set in the late 30's & 40's) and I think I've been more excited about it then anyone in the cast. :D
Anyhow - they've asked me to do several of the actress' hair. Here's a few pictures from yesterday's hairstyle test-run.

Jenn's Hair Test

Tin Pan Sally

Vanessa said:
Hi there. They're doing a show this month at my University (set in the late 30's & 40's) and I think I've been more excited about it then anyone in the cast. nyhow - they've asked me to do several of the actress' hair. Here's a few pictures from yesterday's hairstyle test-run.

Will you do mine? ;)

Maria

New in Town
Barbigirl, I envy your hair colour, it's so beatiful!!! And lovely curls, too :eusa_clap

And thank you very much Kari, I'm glad you like my pictures!!! =)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Maria said:
Barbigirl, I envy your hair colour, it's so beatiful!!! And lovely curls, too :eusa_clap

Gosh thanks :) Sweet of you to say, I wish it was natural. I was very blonde to my mid 20s.

I go in and tell the color girl to make it look like a natural match to my eyebrows. And make sure she overs ALL the gray!

betty_cherry

New in Town
Hello,

Here's my first attemt at rolls. A little more practice needed methinks!

I also invested in a "rat" to do a hollywood roll :D

rolls.jpg

mandolynn

New in Town
I tried rolling for the first time yesterday, and I did a horrible job at it. Does anyone have any tips? I looked at the nocturne site and read the instructions and I did alright, but my roll was so um...lumpy. :(

I also have short-ish hair (it's between my chin and shoulders, but almost to my shoulders. My hair's no longer the length it was in my avatar, which was a big mistake :(), could that have been the problem?

oh and ps. I'm new. Hi! All of you gals' hair looks so lovely, I'm so jealous :D.

Vanessa

One Too Many
mandolynn said:
I tried rolling for the first time yesterday, and I did a horrible job at it. Does anyone have any tips? I looked at the nocturne site and read the instructions and I did alright, but my roll was so um...lumpy. :(

Make liberal use of anything that is round when doing hair - toilet paper rolls, hairspray cans, turkey basters - to make smooth, even rolls.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yup, and if you give it a quick spritz with the hairsray when you are combing it straight before you do the roll, and let it dry for a few seconds it makes it more manageable if your hair's really fine.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
mandolynn said:
I tried rolling for the first time yesterday, and I did a horrible job at it. Does anyone have any tips?

Hi Mandolynn!

I'm by no means a hair expert... especially considering what I've seen coming from the other ladies here! My hair is too long to do pin curls, so I've had to made do with rolls, since thats all I've been able to figure out! This is what I've discovered.

First, I find that you need LOTS of volume to do rolls... well, at least I do as I have very fine hair... its thick, but baby fine. So, I curl my hair first. Then, I backcomb the bejesus out of it. I look like bride of frankenstien when I'm done. :) I've found that if you curl your hair then tease it up a whole lot, you should have plenty of "fuzz" to roll your hair around. I use a comb to make sure that the hair that is covering up my newly made rats nest is nice and smooth, and I usually smooth on a bit of pomade too to help. I wrap the ends around my finger and then very slowly, and very carefully roll it up... then, I pin it to death!

The picture in my avator is from this weekends hairstyling before going dancing. Just keep practicing, you'll figure it out!
-Jess

mandolynn

New in Town
Do I keep the hair I'm rolling around the rats nest of my hair smooth? Or do I just tease the bajeebers out of everything?

(I can't wait to try this again.)

Thank you all so very much :). And your hair looks lovely in that avatar, Jess.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I'm really bad at trying to describe things! Lets see if I can do this again, only better... take the section of hair you want to roll, and tease the bejezus out of it... but, you want the underside to be smooth, otherwise you'd just have a big frizzy roll... make sense? it doesnt matter if the top side is all frizzy, because thats going to be the foundation of your roll. Maybe I should take some pictures......hmmm.... I'll get back to that...

EDIT: OK, so since I apparently have way too much time on my hands I just did a really quick roll and snapped some pictures to better illustrate what I'm talking about. My hair isnt curled, and the final product isnt as neat as I would usually make it, but I guess it does the job.
Maybe I'm making my rolls wrong, but its the best way I've found to do it, and it only takes me a few minutes. maybe someone else has a better way?!?!

Here you go: No laughing at my funny faces/messy apartment/non makeuped self. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessicagracewise/detail?.dir=/1984&.dnm=1a81.jpg&.src=ph

mandolynn

New in Town
Ah, okay, now I understand. Haha, I know what I did wrong now! I teased everything so the hair I rolled around the rats nest was frizzy and therefore made my roll lumpy. I'm such a goof :D

Ooooh and pictures would be nice, though. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see them.

Raegan

New in Town
Atomic Blonde, those pictures are great! I have been trying for sooo long to get a nice roll and I can never do it. I used your pictures for a guide and yipee! finally got them right. I'm so happy, at least if I can't figure out pincurls I can have rolls now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko