Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
Johanna - I love your hair! I am so close to cutting mine even more because of how fabulous yours looks.

lady faythe - That scarf is a kind of snood. it is also worn as a snood it just doesn't cover all of the hair like the crocheted kind usually do. It is like a little pouch that the ends of the hair go in to keep it out of the way and off the neck, the ribbon at the top is probably fastened with bobby pins as are some other areas to hold it in place. Hope this helps. I have long hair so I LOVE snoods and hair accessories such as these!

Antje

One Too Many
Thank you all for your comments,
I use a very cheap hairspray i don't even know what brand it is, it comes from a local supermarket, and I'm luckily blessed with hair that sometimes waves in the front.

I got that from my grandmom who also had the same wave, the rest of my hair was set because i have to grow out my perms, (without a set i would look like a floor mop:eek: :eek: )

And for the earings, they where a gift from my sis, I just love them and most of the time wearing them

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Pigeontoe, by chance were you in the Target store in Eagle Rock this evening (Feb. 4, Monday), in the music section. Someone who resembled you from afar caught my eye. I was in tan and brown, carrying my brown fedora. Let me know! Thanks. -Widebrim :)

Miss Pigeontoe is currently in Holland somewhere....doing an exchange thing, so unlikely she was also in Eagle Rock...hmm maybe she has discovered time travel....

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Meggan_Lane said:
Johanna - I love your hair! I am so close to cutting mine even more because of how fabulous yours looks.

Thank you! :)

New hair picture:
2247063274_b9a919667b_o.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Very pretty, Johanna! I love how your curls frame your face. :)

My everyday hairstyle is two rolls in front, with the rest curled/waved. I'm not sure that "they" ever did rolls going back instead of sideways, but I really love how it gives my long face some width. Best of all, it keeps my hair off my ears. I've always hated the feeling for some reason.

Front.
DSC00634_crop.jpg

Sort of top and back.
DSC00640.jpg

Back and side.
DSC00649_crop.jpg
DSC00650_crop.jpg

I took these Monday night, third day after setting. I "set" my hair with hot sticks and a light spritz of diluted setting lotion on Saturday morning, tried to tame the ensuing craziness, and then brushed every morning since. The curl leaves fairly fast, but the wave lasts until I wash it.

(And no, my hair is not red. It's between brown and blonde, ashy at the scalp and glinting golden/red further down.)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, ladies, I did it again. I got my first cut in 6 months. I think hairdresser must be the worst clients! I thought I explained myself and even had a picture. She gave me a bi-level cut. When I walked out of there, it was up to my chin in front and several inches below my should in back (I asked for a below chin length bob with long layers). I went home and cut off the back so at least it wasn't bi-level. There's no helping the big holes on the right side. So this morning, I gave myself and perm and curled it with a curling iron. It looks awful with the perm, but for the first time ever, it held the curling iron curls for more than an hour. What do y'all think? I'm still upset that I got it cut, but the split ends were so bad, I couldn't put it off.
2246460631_b611a13348.jpg

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
First of all, I don't know how you can cut your own hair in back, so bravo for that. And for the perm.

I personally think it looks healthy and full of body and is a very classic cut and shape.

The end result outweighs the horror story you had that went with it. :D

TessTrueheart

It's very cute, Kamikat! It really is one of the bigger mysteries in life: why it should be so difficult to find a hairdresser who understand you...

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Kamikat, I don't know how your stylist got a bi-level from "long bob with layers", but I think you did a great job fixing it. It looks just like my favorite picture of my mother when she was in her late teens (c. 1955), and I've always coveted that style.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, ladies, thank you so much! I know hair is a silly thing to be upset about, but it's been bothering me all day. Y'all have made me feel so much better about it!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Kamikat,

how did you manage to cut the back of your hair? I cut my hair once, (granted it was below waist length and I cut while I had it sitting it in my lap to cut it) and it looked like a badger knawed away at it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Kamikat,

how did you manage to cut the back of your hair? I cut my hair once, (granted it was below waist length and I cut while I had it sitting it in my lap to cut it) and it looked like a badger knawed away at it.

Well, I've been doing hair professionally for nearly 15 years. Other than that, I had hubby hold up a mirror so I could see the back while I checked it, but for the most part, I did it by feel.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Well, I've been doing hair professionally for nearly 15 years. Other than that, I had hubby hold up a mirror so I could see the back while I checked it, but for the most part, I did it by feel.

You freakin' go girl.........

texasgirl

One Too Many
Sunny, glad to see you back! I think your hair looks fab!

Kamikat, I think it looks great! My hair is similar. Try using some combs on the side too- KimB I think gave me the suggestion and it looks cute. I also pull up the top part and barrette it over to the side :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
S
Hair310108C.jpg

Hair310108B.jpg

..and I also wanted to show you this monstrosity:
BadHair.jpg

That is my hair in its natural, unfettered state. And I mean state!

Wow you look fabulous MissHannah! I love the polished look you have and that's one of my favourite lip colours too!

I think you look lovely in all of your pics and your hair is not a monstrosity at all it's lovely and thick and a beautiful colour. I really admire your bravery in posting a pic of yourself before you do the glamour thing I certainly don't think I'd have the nerve as I look just terrible with my morning hair lol lol

If I see you around London I'll be sure to say hi!:)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
kamikat said:

Lovely! I really want my hair this length too but it's just too frizzy and untamed you have such lovely hair Kamikat and you look beautiful (just like you always do!:) )

MissHannah

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
Wow you look fabulous MissHannah! I love the polished look you have and that's one of my favourite lip colours too!

I think you look lovely in all of your pics and your hair is not a monstrosity at all it's lovely and thick and a beautiful colour. I really admire your bravery in posting a pic of yourself before you do the glamour thing I certainly don't think I'd have the nerve as I look just terrible with my morning hair lol lol

If I see you around London I'll be sure to say hi!:)

You'll notice I wasn't quite brave enough to post a photo sans make-up though! But thank you anyway, you're very kind.

Oh and I know a few ladies were asking which hair dye I use and I just bought some more so I can nowconfirm that it is Scwarzkopf Live XXL in Hypnotic Red.

Have a look on the events thread AAE, we're trying to organise a London Ladies tea and cake outing. I would love to meet some more 'vintage' friends in London - I am rather lacking in that department.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
RetroBabydoll said:
Have any of you ladies heard of women....back in the day......using socks to achieve the pageboy look? Has anyone tried?

My Mom used to use socks to curl her hair in the 70's and her hair always looked pretty.You do it pretty much like curlers.Hold the sock horizontally and roll the hair onto it (in this case under) and then tie the ends of the sock together to secure.You can do this with either a wet/dry set.I hope this helps!

I also wanted to add that everyone's hair looks so lovely! Kamilkat, your hair is a very becoming length for your face and I am amazed that you cut the back yourself!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Kami I think your hair looks great, and woudn't have thought anything was wrong with it without your story. I was wondering why it wasn't red anymore, lol... PERM!
I know how upsetting it is to not be able to get a stylist to understand you, that's why I'm always cutting my own. Even right now, every day I go to work craving a "good cut", thinking, I'll just ask one of the girls. Then I chicken out. I figure I don't want it messed up before my anniversary trip![huh]

So, even tho it's not what you wanted, it's still very cute. Just embrace it.. try some 20's and 30's looks with wave clips, ect.
With your new perm you should be able to comb the finger-wave look in and set with some duckbill clips (thanks for that tip RED!) and bobby pin the curls under for the bottom. I don't know if you like that era, but I could definitely see it on you!

BTW, do you work with the stylist? That's always hard to go in the next day after you've "fixed" their work!

Everyone else's hair looks great too! Sunny your hair is such a pretty color, and great robe!
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic