Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

pamina

Familiar Face
this is me today

b7kthy.jpg

20s9928.jpg

and that was me yesterday, going out ( cinema ^^ )

1230f8z.jpg

2ql93ba.jpg

bye, pam

SarahLouise

Practically Family
CassD said:
Hi, I'm new to the Fedora Lounge and I've been kind of glancing through this thread. All the pictures look fantastic. You're all very beautiful. I've run into a slight snag while attempting some 40's looks with my hair. I've been told by a stylist that my hair is four times as thick as the average person. In addition to that, it's really wavy and tends to get super frizzy no matter how much moisterizing I do (I just found out that naturally wavy or curly hair is also naturally dry). I've attempted pin curls, but my hair just poofs out like an 80's hairstyle gone horribly wrong and the victory rolls turn out more like victory flops because my hair is too heavy. Is there a setting gel or cream that someone might be able to recomend that might help a bit? Also, I live in the UK right now, so I was wondering if anyone might know where I would be able to get those pillow rollers out here.

~Cassie

It will just take lots of practice and finding out what methods/products work well for you but having thick hair is in my opinion much better for vintage hairstyles than fine hair. Most pictures and actresses I see of women from the 30s through to the 50s seem to have lovely thick hair which holds well. Whenever I attempt a curly or wavy do it never looks as full as I would like it to. I've never seen pillow curlers in the UK either and had to order them from the US. They are cheap and produce good results. Oh and welcome to the lounge! :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
SHOOSHOOBABY1: So super cute!!! All 3 styles are very well done!

PAMINA: I love your bangs..are they faux bangs? (In the sense that you don't have real bangs, they are your long hair made into a forward roll bang?)And you make cute faces.. hee hee!

CASSD: I have some massively thick hair as well, although not wavy, so you IMHO, you lucked out. ;) Thick hair great for 40's styles, because you have the built in volume for rolls. Like the other gals said, it's all a matter of perfecting your technique, and going through the trouble of finding out what works best for your hair through trial and error. I don't have any of my pictures scanned of my first rolls, but they weren't all that pretty. They often looked like horns, and very uh...amatuer. hee hee!! We all have to go through it. But you are in the best place to find a wealth of information and support, and in no time you'll be rockin' some fabulous 'do's!

Every era (20's 30's ..etc) has a different "best" type of hair to recreate those 'do's. Your's is great for 40's. Good luck and have fun expirementing!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I think my thin, super straight hair would be best for a nice twenties bob. Shame the clothes are too expensive and don't really flatter my figure!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
color pulse

Kimikat I've seen color pulse at Walgreens and at Big Lots (Pic & Sav, McFrugals which ever it is called in ur neck of the woods). I've bought some of the cherry to use on my daughter but haven't had the time to get around to it, nice to hear good things about it.

plumdearly

New in Town
I'm new here too and have thick curly hair. I just checked out the curly girl page, but I've got a question... I have an oily scalp, so if I don't shampoo every other day, I get a bit itchy and quite oily. Could that be a result of overshampooing? My hair tends to stay on the dry side, but about a 2-3 inches from my scalp stays oily after the 2nd day. I have to shampoo just to keep the oilyness down. Anyone have the same experience and maybe a solution? [huh]

Josephine

One Too Many
plumdearly said:
I'm new here too and have thick curly hair. I just checked out the curly girl page, but I've got a question... I have an oily scalp, so if I don't shampoo every other day, I get a bit itchy and quite oily. Could that be a result of overshampooing? My hair tends to stay on the dry side, but about a 2-3 inches from my scalp stays oily after the 2nd day. I have to shampoo just to keep the oilyness down. Anyone have the same experience and maybe a solution? [huh]

Yes, it sounds as if it could be overshampooing. Our scalp produces sebum, and when we shampoo we strip that off. Our scalp them goes "Sebums gone! Need more!" and produces more. Which we then strip off again. It become a vicious cycle. :)

I would getting some V05 or Suave conditioner, and wash your hair Wednesday or Thursday night. I recommend those two brands as they are cheap (you'll be using a lot at a time) and do a good job of cleansing. Get your hair sopping wet, and work handfuls of the conditioner into the hair right at your scalp. I use a handful on the back of my head, a handful at the top, then split a handful on the sides. You might have to scoop some water onto your head to help "lather up" (though it won't suds like shampoo) the conditioner some (I often cut the conditioner with water when it's still in the bottle, about 2:1 ratio).

Let the conditioner sit on your scalp while you wash, soak, do whatever else it is you do in the tub, then splash some more water on your head and "scrub" at your scalp with the pads of your fingers. Rinse your hair, then use your regular spiffy conditioner, however the bottle says to use it, to treat the length your hair, from the ears down. Then over the weekend you can see how your hair is, hopefully you won't need to wash Friday or Saturday. If you do, continue using the CO method every two days, then the next weekend stretch it to three days. Then to four days. I only wash my hair about once a week, unless I use setting lotion.

That reminds me, if you do use product like hair spray, setting lotion, mousse, you'll have to wash more often as the product will attract dirt, etc. Also, in the shower, use a wide tooth come to get out the tangles after you rinse, squeeze your hair to get out most of the water, and don't touch your hair after!! Messing with curly hair as it dries is a sure way to get frizz. If you'd like to help define your curls, get some clear aloe vera gel (not the green stuff, I use Fruit of the Earth) and scrunch a couple/few (depends on how much hair you have) grape sized blobs in your hair, then don't mess with your hair!

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

missmelly

One of the Regulars
IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

My company had a bowling night so I did an early 60s beehive type of do. All my co-workers thought I was a waitress in a greasy spoon and my name should be "Flo".lol
.:Miss Melly:.

plumdearly

New in Town
Josephine said:
Yes, it sounds as if it could be overshampooing. Our scalp produces sebum, and when we shampoo we strip that off. Our scalp them goes "Sebums gone! Need more!" and produces more. Which we then strip off again. It become a vicious cycle. :)

This is great info - thank you so much! I'm going to try this method starting tomorrow (hubby uses the cheap stuff, so I have plenty on hand!). I'm looking forward to seeing how my hair turns out in the morning. :)

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
plumdearly said:
This is great info - thank you so much! I'm going to try this method starting tomorrow (hubby uses the cheap stuff, so I have plenty on hand!). I'm looking forward to seeing how my hair turns out in the morning. :)

The CO method has worked wonders for me--I used to have terribly frizzy hair, and oily at the roots to boot, plus psoriasis. And now, lovely! My current favorite conditioner is Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey conditioner. No buildup, my hair is soft, and it smells luscious to boot! A bit on the expensive side, but I only wash my hair twice a week, with very little product, so it lasts and justifies the price!

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
Ada Veen said:
I think my thin, super straight hair would be best for a nice twenties bob. Shame the clothes are too expensive and don't really flatter my figure!

I got my hair cut in a 20s bob the other day. I love it. I have quite fine hair too, and this style is great it makes my hair look thicker. I too am not a fan of the 20s clothes, but who cares huh, noone where I live can tell that I'm mixing up my vintage styles!!

I just need to know how to do FINGERWAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eusa_doh:

pamina

Familiar Face
~*Red*~ said:
PAMINA: I love your bangs..are they faux bangs? (In the sense that you don't have real bangs, they are your long hair made into a forward roll bang?)And you make cute faces.. hee hee!
!

yes, they're fake. my hair is growing sooooooo slowly, so i don't cut it =)

Belaqua

New in Town
The Golden Compass

Hello everyone! I read this particular thread from beginning to end while waiting for my account to be accepted, and now I can finally post! Everyone's hair looks great, it's nice to know there's others out there that like vintage looks!

Have you girls seen Nicole Kidman's hair in the move The Golden Compass? It was absolutely divine!

Nicole.jpg
Nicole2.jpg

Nicole3.jpg

Nicole4.jpg
Poster2.jpg

And this is what I did to my own hair for a fashion show I was in... Please disregard my makeup, the "makeup artist" was just garbage! I don't wear foundation, and this is the exact reason why!

2006Part2017.jpg
2006Part2023.jpg

:eek:fftopic:

Bartender comment: Let's please keep things on Livejournal over there, there is a comment system over there for this question. Thanks!

- Belaqua

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Belaqua your makeup is great!! You don't need to apologize lol lol lool!!! Great curls!!!!!!!!!! I'm green of envy lol!!! Do you use hot sticks or wet set??

Antje

One Too Many
Belaqua, your curls look nice and smooth,
indeed the look of Kidman in the colden compas is great, I've tried my own hair to pin it like hers but it won't work on my hair :(

Belaqua

New in Town
Thanks! I did a regular pin set, and slept in it over night, then shook them out and separated them with my fingers. All the other girls were gluing (gluing!) hairpieces to their heads, so I wanted to do something different with my own hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou