Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

alexandra

Practically Family
Well they're wonky in more than one way- lopsided and also messy and gross from slave labour around the house >(

but I know the latter isn't what you meant.

In any case, I love doing this hair just because I have to do zero prep for it and it's pretty stable so I can muck about without being too worried of chunks flying around.

Adele

One of the Regulars
How glad am I to hear that my tutorial was understandable! I truly am terrible at explaining things. I think photographs help me a great deal.

MissHannah said:
How wet is your hair when you do it?

I would say that it's pretty wet, but not so much that it's actually dripping wet. I usually do my hair in between five to ten minutes after jumping out of the shower (during that time, I do have my hair in a towel).

do you think your technique might work on long-ish hair?

Did you want to make the waves go all the way down? I don't know if it's because I'm half asleep, but I'm kind of confused. Do forgive me.

shamrocq

New in Town
hepkitten said:
Shamrocq, thanks for the tip on hairspray at the base of the roll. I'll definitely try that next time. I loved all your 'dos, especially the last one with the shorter hair and rolled bangs. Adorable! :eusa_clap

Thank and no problem.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Holy Snot! There's been a lot of good hair posted in here!:D Great job ladies!! Keep it coming!! I'm too busy to fool with hair these days ( although I did have my sis color my brownish ends dark for me, finally!) I think once the hubs goes on deployment, I'll have time to play with hair again. ;)

But more beautiful hair pics please!!!

And Miss Hannah, you go girl! rockin those hot roller do's! You're a pro already! Another pic that I am going to have to frame...the bowling hair one...Man, who needs pin ups when I have you ladies!! :D

TessTrueheart

Woke up this morning and wanted Kim Novaks Vertigo hair.

vertigo34.jpg

Failed miserable, since I am crap at doing my hair :eusa_doh: , but ended up kinda liking it anyway...

Bild46.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

(sorry about the last picture not being upright, the photobucket editing takes forever...)

MissHannah

One Too Many
I love Kim Novak's hair - especially in Pal Joey - it's sort of grey blonde and the french twist she wears is so small and neat that I suspect it's actually short hair just combed in to look like a pleat.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
TessTrueheart said:
Woke up this morning and wanted Kim Novaks Vertigo hair.

vertigo34.jpg

Failed miserable, since I am crap at doing my hair :eusa_doh: , but ended up kinda liking it anyway...

Bild46.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

(sorry about the last picture not being upright, the photobucket editing takes forever...)

Great hair Tess, Kim Novak's look in Vertigo is one of my main inspirations, I love that polished pinned up look. You've done a really great job!

I do something similar and have found that it's all MUCH easier if you haven't washed your hair for a few days!!!!

TessTrueheart

AllaboutEve said:
Great hair Tess, Kim Novak's look in Vertigo is one of my main inspirations, I love that polished pinned up look. You've done a really great job!

I do something similar and have found that it's all MUCH easier if you haven't washed your hair for a few days!!!!

Thank you! It was a first try. My mother (who used to wear this style all the time when she was young), told me to curl my hair first and use hair rats. I wish she had told me that before I pulled it back lol lol lol. I love the Kim Novak look, it's super elegant, so I'll keep practicing.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
TessTrueheart said:
Thank you! It was a first try. My mother (who used to wear this style all the time when she was young), told me to curl my hair first and use hair rats. I wish she had told me that before I pulled it back lol lol lol. I love the Kim Novak look, it's super elegant, so I'll keep practicing.

It's great for a first try!

It depends on how long your hair is and how much you want it to stand up or out from your head as to whether you need hair rats. I just did a similar style on my step daughter who has pretty long hair and if you stuff all the hair into the pleat as you go it is a mighty solid construction by the end :)

I usually separate off the front part of my hair first ( I don't have a fringe like you do) and then put the back pleat up. I then take the two front sections back and pin them into big curls at the front of the pleat. I'll get my man to take a pic next time I do it.

Oh I'm so pleased that there's another Kim Novak fan here!! I'm a big fan of the mid to late 50's look!

TessTrueheart

AllaboutEve said:
I'll get my man to take a pic next time I do it.

Yes! A picture would be great. your method seems a lot better than mine, I flipped all hair over to one side and put a row of bobby pins in, and then folded the hair over to the other side and pinned it in place. Well, sort of in place...lol

I remember watching Kim Novak in Vertigo and Tippi Hedren in The Birds when I was a child with great fascination. What an impact childhood experiences have!

alexandra

Practically Family
alexandra said:
this is my "Spring Cleaning Housework" look because it's so easy haha.

10xbj4m.jpg

Dear Smuterella

We are pleased to inform you that you have won a poorly explained tutorial on the Wonky Rolls!

The Management.

Basically how I do this is...I use something (whether it be a hair stick or a pencil or whatever pointy thing I can find. I'm not very professional) to make an upside down 'U' shape going from behind one ear to behind the other ear.

You can make the upside down U go up as high as you want, depending on what you want to do with the back of your hair.

As you can see, I have bangs in the picture because I have a huge forehead so I like to make a V or a U shape a the front too to get some hair up in there to hide the alien forehead. You don't have to do this, but if you do, i just take the hair and sort of fold it over and pin it to the side.

The wonky rolls part is pretty simple. Do a side part on a bit of an angle, comb over the fat chunk like an old bald man and then roll it so it's up nearer to the top of the head, making sure you stuff the tail end in there to keep it poofy. Obviously then pin it to your head. I used about 2 or 3 pins for it to keep it secure. Then on the skinny chunk, roll it but keep it straight back and pin it.

I think that's it...there's not too much to explain. I usually pin the back under or pop a snood on there but I think it looks pretty nice curled as well.

There is the possibility that what I just wrote makes no sense. If so, tell me and I will...I dunno. Video tape myself doing it OR SOMETHING.

alexandra

Practically Family
The thing I always find with hair is that people are too dainty with it. I find you need to jump in and just mush it all around.

I also have no feeling in my scalp so I can be really rough with my hair and not care about it so that might make a difference. I don't know what your rolls look like though so they might be both fabulous and be made properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran