Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Antje

One Too Many
Lauren said:
okie dokie, here's my first successful set with my new hairdo :) I think, in retrospect, I'm going to start the curlers higher up in the back next time. It was a little tricky trying to curl short hair! I'm so used to lots more to have to wind around curlers! I used sponge rollers but there were strays so I had to use a curling iron. I sprayed the heck out of it, so hopfully it will stay for a few days. lol
newhairs3.jpg

newhairs5.jpg

newhairs6.jpg

Totally cute :eusa_clap youre new do is great
once you get used to the short lenght it will be easier to set i gues

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Woah, Lauren, you did go short - but it looks good! Fantastic! :eusa_clap

If you want more body/wave higher up, you'll need really small rollers and then give it a good old brush through.

Only way to keep those curls in for a few days is to 1) Not brush it, just give a gentle smooth over with a comb and 2) Sleep with it pincurled up and with a glorious hairnet over it!

Yes, you'll look like a 90 year old, batty lady, but it's worth it! :D

Gotta get mine cut now.... you've set the bar high!

Antje

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I did victory rolls today for the first time in ages, and it took me quite a few goes to get them right, I am out of practice! But they turned out ok I think. :)

3678201510_f2ba3b6256.jpg

youre rolls are great, I did have the same problem with rolls, I thank you have to keep practicing them.
It takes a long time to do them with untrained hands

Lenore

Practically Family
Lauren said:
okie dokie, here's my first successful set with my new hairdo :) I think, in retrospect, I'm going to start the curlers higher up in the back next time. It was a little tricky trying to curl short hair! I'm so used to lots more to have to wind around curlers! I used sponge rollers but there were strays so I had to use a curling iron. I sprayed the heck out of it, so hopfully it will stay for a few days. lol

Whoa, Lauren! You look like my grandmother! Totally in a good way; she was always the most fashionable woman I've ever met. Your hair looks spiffy!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lauren said:
newhairs3.jpg

newhairs5.jpg

newhairs6.jpg

Wow, Lauren! Your new haircut is soo cute. I'd like to go that short but I don't think I could handle the increase in maintenance. That length is perfect for pin curls. I wish I could play with your hair and experiment! I just think your length would be the most fun for setting and styling. Great job!

Antje

One Too Many
OK my collegue cut my hair and now it is so weard layered that instead of doing a set in 5 minutes it takes me 15 minutes now

I hope the brush out wil be fine but I have the most interesting layers on my head :eek:

I'm a hairdresser so my collegue is not just a office girl or so, but as a hairdresser she should be cutting nice layers

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
newhairs3.jpg

newhairs5.jpg

newhairs6.jpg

Lauren, i like your new cut, it really suits you to have your hair cut short, reminds me a bit of norma shearer :eek:fftopic:[/IMG]
Shearer.jpg
NormaShearer.jpg
norma_shearer___leading_lady_of_metro_goldwyn_mayer.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks, gals! It's funny you say that, glamour-girl, that's what my mom said yesterday! I thought it might have been because of my plaid shirt- looked like I was being Reno-vated lol
renovated.jpg

Shirin

A-List Customer
fleur.jpg

Very Lovely Indeed. Those rolls are fantastic! I like the flower added, it makes you even more glamorous. Funny thing, I used to have a blouse just like that when I was younger. I think my mom still has it.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Lauren, that is so cute! I love it.

Almost makes me want to try short hair again. But then i remember that my girlfriend might not forgive me...and i'd look like Bob Dylan, not Norma Shearer!:eek:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
hairdo for seeing "Public Enemies"

This time I had the vintage hairstylist try a 1930s look similar to pics in my "Screwball Comedies" book, like Irene Dune often wore. He deliberately did not do any small curls on the crown of my head because of the vintage 30s hat I'd be wearing later. I especially LOOOVE the couple of big waves in the upper back! Still doing a wet set roller set, then lots of brushing and then creating the curls rolled over fingers

Here's the front with hat, this pic was taken at 12:45am and I was really tired...
368599807.jpg
back, I really like how the home done color came out this last time
368599804.jpg
head tilted back to be able to see the wave section a little bit better
368599814.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
2nd day hair

The sides of yesterday's hairdo got smushed with sleeping on the set. So I basically sorta "combed" it with my fingers, fluffing it up and shaking my head while bending over. Does that make any sense? It seems these sets look better if I do very little in the way of combing at all.

I really like the front today, so much that I made it my avatar! Here is front and both sides pics.

I'm so enjoying having the vintage hairstyles and doing the vintage clothing, I think it is the "real" me. YIPPEE!!!

A very sweet gal friend of mine from choir was VERY demonstrative at choir practice tonight about how wonderful she thought my hair looked! :)
368614990.jpg

368615005.jpg
368615014.jpg

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Carey, your new style looks great on you and I can tell by your face that you love it. Very soft and youthful. :eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic: But something else caught my eye: is that a duette I see on your polka-dot dress? Dress clips make me swoon and I have quite a collection of rhinestone and bakelite clips and duettes (and one bakelite victory pin), so my eye was just automatically drawn to it.

Rhian

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
You look lovely - this style really suits you! May I ask what size of roller you used? (I've just had a shorter cut than usual and am looking to buy some new sponge rollers, as I think all of mine are too big.)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lily P! Yep, if I'm willing to make it my avatar on FL , I must really like the hairstyle. And just the other day, a hairstylist my Dad's wife sent me to that I had a consult appt with told me I should give up the vintage hair thing altogether, that its taking over my life. She said I should get a short modern look (especially with my looking for a job right now) and to color it darker- my sister thinks I should recolor darker too.

This stylist said even the messy hair clipped loose modern style you see alot around here looks good and that I should do that! EEK- what's next then, hoodies and sweats with logos on the butt? I made an appt with her to have her work on my hair, but thought more about all she said on the way home. When I got home I promptly called to get an appt with the vintage stylist instead. This color stays too.

Yes, its a small duette. I wore both pieces hooked together last night for the first time. Today I wore just one half. I got it on evilBay. I have a gold tone Coro duette too, but it is not a left and a right! One of these days I 'm going to take pics of all my vintage little bits and pieces; the jewelry and accessories. I'd love to see pictures of your collection!!

Lily Powers said:
Carey, your new style looks great on you and I can tell by your face that you love it. Very soft and youthful. :eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic: But something else caught my eye: is that a duette I see on your polka-dot dress? Dress clips make me swoon and I have quite a collection of rhinestone and bakelite clips and duettes (and one bakelite victory pin), so my eye was just automatically drawn to it.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Rian! I think this is my favorite set of all that I've had him do for me. And it looks pretty good for being on the second day of it.

I have four different sizes of this roller that he uses for my sets. I'll have to look at the pics I had taken of the set and get back to you on the sizes. I had him get me them from his beauty supply place so I can learn (or DD and/or DH can) to do this at home.

They aren't foam rollers, its those ones with the stick-out prickly things on them. If you don't unroll them just like you put them in, you rip your hair out. He used end papers on this set too. And LOTS of gel to make the wet set.

Rhian said:
You look lovely - this style really suits you! May I ask what size of roller you used? (I've just had a shorter cut than usual and am looking to buy some new sponge rollers, as I think all of mine are too big.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany