Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
A little off topic but cute none-the-less...

:eek:fftopic: The past 3 weeks, i've been battling a nasty chest/lung infection. FINALLY feeling back to my old self, i decided to take yet another stab at foam rollers. I did my set at my boyfriends place last night. I always put a little satin cap over my rollers to battle the frizzies, and when i came downstairs after i was done, i didn't want him to see me looking like an ol' lady so i told him not to laugh...he didn't laugh but told me i looked cute. I told him that he was crazy and i looked funny, but he still insisted i looked cute...one day i'll take a pic of my funny cap to show you. :eek:fftopic:

Just wanted to share my little story about my man...i think he's cute too. ;)

Shirin

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
368599814.jpg
[/CENTER]

Lovely color and curls. Your hair is so perfect it looks like a wig! That IS a compliment by the way. Its difficult for me (at least) to get the back of my hair looking good but you've mastered this I see.:eusa_clap

Rhian

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
I have four different sizes of this roller that he uses for my sets. I'll have to look at the pics I had taken of the set and get back to you on the sizes. I had him get me them from his beauty supply place so I can learn (or DD and/or DH can) to do this at home.

They aren't foam rollers, its those ones with the stick-out prickly things on them. If you don't unroll them just like you put them in, you rip your hair out. He used end papers on this set too. And LOTS of gel to make the wet set.
Thank you for this! I own some of those prickly rollers, but have yet to use them. I don't have a hood dryer and my (very thick) hair takes forever to dry, so I think I might try putting them in damp hair with some setting lotion. I'm still at the experimenting stage with this cut... :)

Antje

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
This time I had the vintage hairstylist try a 1930s look similar to pics in my "Screwball Comedies" book, like Irene Dune often wore. He deliberately did not do any small curls on the crown of my head because of the vintage 30s hat I'd be wearing later. I especially LOOOVE the couple of big waves in the upper back! Still doing a wet set roller set, then lots of brushing and then creating the curls rolled over fingers

Here's the front with hat, this pic was taken at 12:45am and I was really tired...
368599807.jpg
back, I really like how the home done color came out this last time
368599804.jpg
head tilted back to be able to see the wave section a little bit better
368599814.jpg

wow what an excellent wave at the back, how on earth did you comb this in place I always find it soo difficult to do the back

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The answer is that Carey had a Hairdresser do it for her! It's always harder to get the back right on yourself - I know my arms are always sore by the time I get to the back bits.

I keep threatening my boyfriend he'll have to learn how to do it for me but he always runs out the room when I mention it. lol

Carey, nice to see your perm is settling down and you are getting nice sleek waves now. I'm wanting to get mine re-permed but definitely not too tight. I had it done very loosly and want to go down a rod size or so to get a little more curl.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
3rd day hair...fake 40s rolls

Today I used the metal pick to comb it a bunch. Later in the day I thought I'd try fake rolls with combs. Kinda messy but it looks cute! I'm still learning with the combs, the left side came out better than the right. I've got a fan hiding my face, cuz' I was too lazy to put on makeup!

showing the bangs rolled up
368693052.jpg
showing the very top for the bangs roll, you can see the comb peeking through a little
368693070.jpg
left side
368693090.jpg
right side
368693103.jpg
back, still lots of soft wavy curls
368693029.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ladies for all the encouraging and positive comments. Remember how stressed/distressed I was when I first joined in March about my hair?? It was that last piece of the vintage puzzle for me, and the most challenging. I cannot tell you how liberating it is to have found someone that could do something good with my hair!

The last two or colorings have been done by my sister at her house, leaning over her bathtub to rinse it! Grocery store brand bought color.

With seeing what CAN be done with a set, I'm going to have to hunker down and find a portable rigid hood dryer (I think ClaraB has one that you see in her tutorial) and maybe I'll work with our daughter Sarah to learn to roller set my hair. She can french braid her own hair pretty well, and has done mine recently too. I told her that maybe Mommy could pay her for it. The big downside of seeing this hairstylist is that he's in SF- an hour drive each way...

The OTHER hairstylist I did the consult with (told ya what she said on another post) said that if I can't use a curling iron, I cannot do a wig, etc. etc. that I should consider getting my hair set every week. Gosh, I just wish I could find a local stylist to take the pics of these sets to -like maybe a max of 15-20 minutes away.

Oh, by the way I told the SF stylist all what the other stylist said- about the color, the curls, swimming, and cutting it into a modern cut. Needless to say he did not agree with her. He also thinks the lighter color is fine as it is, he's seen me with makeup on and off and doesn't think I need to go darker. He suggests when I home color it to leave the color on for 45-50 minutes instead of the usual 20-30. I also thinks having the perm is good for what I want to do with the sets. He'll do a body wave with large rods next time, but said I don't need one yet.

He also disagrees with the other stylist opin about giving up on the vintage hair idea, and going with a modern look. He does vintage looks for lots of ladies in the Art Deco Society for their events. There is one lady in the Art Deco and BAWMHRS group (she lives in SF) that he sets her hair every Saturday in a 30s to 40s vintage style. He said she loves wearing her hair vintage every day. She is very happy and comfortable with that kind of look, and doesn't care what anyone else may think about it.

I'm starting to feel that way myself. I love these kind of looks whether I'm wearing vintage attire or not! No one has said anything negative about the wet roller sets, most people are amazed with how it looks! I must say after having 4- 5 rounds done of vintage hairdos, that this has truly been the best thing for me for many reasons. I really feel so good about my hair at last. Who-da-thunk it was possible for me to have soft, pretty, curled hair (at last!) at 50 years old. Certainly not me. I just wish I'd discovered this all years ago...

Forgive me for babbling on... but one last thing I wanted to mention that I'm learning with these hairstyles. In past years I always used to have my hair get completely smushed (still do) when I slept on a fancy hairstyle with tons of hair spray. Figured there was nothing to do than just wash it out the next morning! NOW I can finger comb it, fluffing it up (no brushing -yet) and play with shaping the curls a bit- and voila' it looks nice the next day, and the net after that. Unbelieveable-I can enjoy a set for more than one day! Truly I had NO idea I could do that... I can't tell you how many expensive salon set hairstyles over the last 15+ years I've washed away down the shower drain the next morning...:rolleyes:

gee- color me happy!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Its the little paper stick fan the local Art Deco Society sells. Great for use when at a dance event. Or hiding an unmade up face during pics! Nest time I think I'll try the fan trick ala' Anne Hathaway in the film Princess Dairies...:)

Antje said:
nice rolls Chanteuse, and i also like the thing youre hiding your face with

Lily Powers

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Thanks Lily P! Yep, if I'm willing to make it my avatar on FL , I must really like the hairstyle. And just the other day, a hairstylist my Dad's wife sent me to that I had a consult appt with told me I should give up the vintage hair thing altogether, that its taking over my life. She said I should get a short modern look (especially with my looking for a job right now) and to color it darker- my sister thinks I should recolor darker too.

Well, that just goes to show you, one can never be too old to be annoyed by one's sibling and parents (or their parent's spouse). :D Good for you for standing strong on what you feel is best for YOU! If the trip to SF for hairstyling get to be too much, you could always ask your vintage stylist if he could recommend someone closer to SJ. I'm sure he wouldn't be offended.

One of these days I 'm going to take pics of all my vintage little bits and pieces; the jewelry and accessories. I'd love to see pictures of your collection!!

Careful what you wish for! lol When it comes to my dress clips, I'm like my dog when another dog comes over to visit - he brings out all his bones and toys to show off. I'm going to have some free time to take photos, (thanks to the state budget - 20-days furlough from work! Yikes!) and will send you pics.:)

Lillemor

One Too Many
You're not babbling, it's so frustrating when someone doesn't respect or understand your dedication to a certain style and try to find practical, modern sollutions to make you fit in or whatever...they're just totally missing the point. *Ough!* I don't know why it's winding me up. I'm still trying to find out what works for me.

Lets for the sake of it entertain the idea that your vintage hairstyle quest is "taking over your life". Well, if that's what you want, then that's no one else's business!:mad: I also hate it when someone tries to impose certain hair lengths on ladies of a certain age. You could really get me on a rant here...

Shirin

A-List Customer
@chanteuseCarey; I think life is too short to compromise happiness for the sake of others opinions.
In reference to that stylist (in SF) that said you should get a modern cut, she obviously doesn't respect (even though she understands) the look you are going for with your hair. Or maybe she didn't feel confident in her abilities to give you what you want, therefore tried to change your mind [to go for a look shes able to produce]. Does that make sense?
It sounds to me like your current stylist really knows his game, and if he is producing results you are happy with and as long as you can afford it, it might be worth that hour drive to get what you want.People that "get" you on a personal level can be somewhat difficult to find and when you find those people, its really hard to break away even out of necessity because who knows when somebody like that will come along again.
A bit off topic but, I used to take dance lessons an it was an hour drive each way but I knew I was getting the best of the best instructors. To me, that was more important than finding somebody closer or cheaper.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got my hair cut again (it's the cycle - let it grow too long, chop it all off, repeat). Please excuse FL reflection in glasses. This was after a pincurl set - my hair is much harder to curl when short, at least for me.
0705091657.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
5th day hairdo...

The back is amzing but true still wonderfully curled! That's cuz' I sleep on the sides of my face/head:) -TMJ issues. No pics taken today. Had a hat on part of the day, and no makeup. Shoulda at least worn my sheer tinted sunscreen out at the Alameda Flea Market today- I got wind and sunburned! Bummer- worse than my face, I also ended up with my upper chest sunburned too. I wore a scoop neck tank top.

Rhian

New in Town
Miss Bella, you look wonderful (and those specs are to die for!). I also suffer from the cycle of long-to-short hair, and find that the first week after a cut is the hardest time to get my style right, but yours looks perfect. The wave around the face is lovely.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Miss Bella, with glasses like that you don't need to excuse anything. I guess I'm a cycler too. When my hair is long or I'm trying to grow it out, I won't hear of having it cut and I get a strong knee jerk reaction when I've had my hair cut and people think it's a shame that I've lost my long locks. "It's just hair" and "but what's the point of cutting it off if you're just going to grow it out again?". Don't try to reason with me!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou