Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Blondie

Practically Family
LisaFreemontSt said:
I just wanted to say hi. A subscriber of my videos sent me here to look at her hairstyle pictures and i am so happy to have found this board. I hope to contribute some of my trial and error stories as well as learn from all of you!

I'm Ashley. But on Youtube, I'm known as Lisa Freemont Street.
http://www.youtube.com/user/LisaFreemontStreet
I do vintage hair and makeup tutorials as well as product reviews. I hope some of you will visit my channel but that's NOT why I'm here. I just enjoy exchanging tips w/ my other vintage enthusiast friends!
Welcome fellow Tennessean ! Am off to look at your tutorials.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
argh sorry LJers! Didn't realise there were so many here. lol

No worries, it looks so nice that I enjoyed seeing it a second time!

Violeta, your hair is amazing; you're totally making me want to go out and get pillow rollers!

Lisa/Ashley, I just discovered your YouTube channel on this board recently and it's so inspiring! I particularly love the classic pinup series.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
To stand by the original topic at hand, I did a typical pincurl set w/ my middy haircut on Monday. It turned out quite authentic, though not exactly what i had in mind w/ the tutorial I was filming-that of Ginger Rogers.

index.cfm

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Super!!! GREAT to see you on the Lounge LisaFS, I've seen your youtube tutorials. Please post the link for us as your signature or whatever you can do so we can find them readily:)

LisaFreemontSt said:
To stand by the original topic at hand, I did a typical pincurl set w/ my middy haircut on Monday. It turned out quite authentic, though not exactly what i had in mind w/ the tutorial I was filming-that of Ginger Rogers.

index.cfm

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
haileygh, this looks looks very nice and sweet! I need to try foam rollers. GREAT to see a pic from you here, yippee another freckle face! BTW, you have gorgeous skin my dear:)

hailey greenhat said:
i did a simple set of foam rollers brushed out and pinned back
Photo12.jpg

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey, thank you very much haha freckles used to be the bane of my make-up life >_< i wanted a flawless cream complexion but i've come to accept them and sometimes like them :p
Btw foam rollers so easy to use.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My perm is very grown out now, leaving the crown uncurled. I actually really like it that way! For day to day, its lately been a faux-quasi vintage idea without a set or anything. Lately I've been working on wearing my hair with a far left side part and getting the front of my hair off my face. I still crunch the curly section and fluff it a bit with a metal pick. I do wear my 40s style makeup everyday though whether I have on vintage clothes or not. The last couple of weeks I've been trying false eyelashes and I really like them! Still doing the long pointed oval nails in 40s red. Here's a good pic of how I'm wearing my hair right now with my modern eyeglasses:
372163302.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Violeta, it's cute anyway.
Chanteuse, I like the crown straight too and most vintage styles I've seen have had straight/completely combed out top.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Great Set today!

So i set my hair last night with some of my pillow rollers (i am always one short!) and decided that i would take Fleur's advice and try brushing them out. I started brushing them out, and was like "crap, i look like a poodle" but i kept brushing and it turned into this great 50's do! It's wavy and looks great! I'm so happy i kept brushing it out. I am going to do my hair like this more often.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Okay dokey....my two cents. I went to my original stylist and he cut the "middy" out of my hair. He chopped off the back--bobbing it a bit--and blended/fixed the layers as they were very choppy and tapered poorly. He showed me large sections of hair that were totally uneven. In fact, when I sat down his first words were, "Uhhh...I did *not* do this to your hair." :)

My hair is SO straight, heavy and fine, that the haircut (from Ivan of Hollywood's book) just did not work for me without modifications. Granted, the gal that cut my hair was not totally sure of what she was doing....and sadly, it showed. If I'd just had my guy do it in the first place, we would have avoided all this.

HOWEVER....Had I originally taken that diagram into my official stylist, he would have patted me on the head and said, "Now Amy, that haircut is going to require a lot of maintenance and commitment...I think we should talk about this as your hair doesn't hold curl very well." And he would have talked me out of it and cut my hair in something comparable, but doable and awesome. Because he's cut my hair for *5 years* and knows what he is working with. (which is probably why I went to someone else...when I insisted she cut it like the diagram, she did as she was told.....and then I waited too long to go back and ask her to change it.)

Modern texturizing techniques help put some life into it. Without them, it just sits there in heavy clumps. :) And I could not get a pincurl or roller to stay in it, for the life of me---the ends were too short and straight. It would just fall right out. Now I remember why I always keep my hair a little longer.....my hair has not been this short in a looooong time, and I had forgotten.

So I have started over. And I promised my stylist I would grow it out and embrace the fact that my hair is straight---not curly. There are plenty of nice soft vintage inspired styles for those of us with super straight hair. :)

Next time I will take a photograph of the finished style that I want, instead of a diagram.
I just wanted to do something vintagey. Something different.
I am glad I tried it, but will never do it again. It cost me 90 bucks and 5 inches of hair.

hair_fall_2009.jpg

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
MissAmelina said:
Okay dokey....my two cents. I went to my original stylist and he cut the "middy" out of my hair. He chopped off the back--bobbing it a bit--and blended/fixed the layers as they were very choppy and tapered poorly. He showed me large sections of hair that were totally uneven. In fact, when I sat down his first words were, "Uhhh...I did *not* do this to your hair." :)

My hair is SO straight, heavy and fine, that the haircut (from Ivan of Hollywood's book) just did not work for me without modifications. Granted, the gal that cut my hair was not totally sure of what she was doing....and sadly, it showed. If I'd just had my guy do it in the first place, we would have avoided all this.

HOWEVER....Had I originally taken that diagram into my official stylist, he would have patted me on the head and said, "Now Amy, that haircut is going to require a lot of maintenance and commitment...I think we should talk about this as your hair doesn't hold curl very well." And he would have talked me out of it and cut my hair in something comparable, but doable and awesome. Because he's cut my hair for *5 years* and knows what he is working with. (which is probably why I went to someone else...when I insisted she cut it like the diagram, she did as she was told.....and then I waited too long to go back and ask her to change it.)

Modern texturizing techniques help put some life into it. Without them, it just sits there in heavy clumps. :) And I could not get a pincurl or roller to stay in it, for the life of me---the ends were too short and straight. It would just fall right out. Now I remember why I always keep my hair a little longer.....my hair has not been this short in a looooong time, and I had forgotten.

So I have started over. And I promised my stylist I would grow it out and embrace the fact that my hair is straight---not curly. There are plenty of nice soft vintage inspired styles for those of us with super straight hair. :)

Next time I will take a photograph of the finished style that I want, instead of a diagram.
I just wanted to do something vintagey. Something different.
I am glad I tried it, but will never do it again. It cost me 90 bucks and 5 inches of hair.

hair_fall_2009.jpg
I'm sorry the diagram didnt work out for you.:( It sounds like your stylist cut your layers bluntly instead of tapering them. Tapering is absolutely essential. I am really pleased w/ how well all my styles have worked with the actual 'middy' but I feel pretty sure that a basic layered cut would work equally well. Your haircut is adorable, regardless.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Thank you so much....Like I said, I wanted to try something different anyway, so I am glad I did the middy thang--no regrets. I could tell things were going poorly when she said, "Oh, I see...now that I am doing this, it is just like a shag!" :eek: And it was too late. haha!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24