Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
no recent hair pics, but today went to three beauty shops local to me to see if they have a gal that would do my hair in 40s vintage styles, wet roller sets. One more place to check out that I was told has a lady there who is 84yo. At least she'd remember the 40s! I love what the gentleman in SF has done for me- but the gas cost, drive time (an hour each way ) and the garage parking costs add up to be so much...

I'm going to try a couple of gals out here for test runs, but I need to bring some pictures to show them what I want done.

Blondie

Practically Family
Violeta said:
Thank you ladies for your wonderful comments! That hairstyle was achieved with pillow rollers. I purchased them at Target for $9.99 for a pack of 24, I have ALOT of hair so I had to get 2! I'm thinking of getting another one, because sometimes it still isn't enough!! Well I rolled everything down, let it set overnite, then combed it out with various brushes and combs as I'm still figuring what comb/brush works for me. Maybe I'll post tutorial pics....:)
I looked at those pillow rollers today, they seem so small, did you like them ?
Do you think they work as well as foam rollers ?

jenbacca

New in Town
Feedback please :)

Hi ladies (and gents!)...

I've been silently reading the forum for a while, happily learning about hair and makeup :) I ordered some hair rats (american discount beauty supply) and decided to finally sit down and try to do my first victory rolls!

Here are a couple shots of my very first attempt :) After taking the photo, I realized how much the hair rat was poking out the top - woops! Otherwise, what feedback do you have? I have a lot of super thick hair, so I am unable to hold a curl - thus I have straightened it (better than frizzy with a slight misshapen wave!)

Front: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29262680@N04/3824646595/

Back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29262680@N04/3824646959/

cecil

A-List Customer
I FINALLY have something post-worthy!!

Apologies if you're on Livejournal as I've posted there with this hair already. I'm just pleased, I had almost lost faith in pincurls until now. I figured out that because of the natural texture of my hair I get a much better result if i blowdry my hair straight first and then set the pincurls in dry hair dampened with a bit of undiluted Lottabody. It's far from perfect, but unlike my other attempts it's actually wearable! :D

Side:
P1010329.jpg

Front:
P1010313.jpg

Dicking about making pouty glamourpuss poses. Ha! Drama queen.
P1010314.jpg

Yaaaay.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Blondie said:
They generally give a different type of curl than the foam curlers, more of a, ummm, spirally wavey type I guess you could call it, then the more formed foam rollers. I just used mine the other day on my shorter hair and it gave it a nice body wave effect. My piillow curlers are also deflated and I sooooo need new ones lol. But they are very comfy for over night sleeping.

cecil

A-List Customer
Lusti Weather said:
I saw this post on there too. :) Great hair, Cecil, it really looks fab!

argh sorry LJers! Didn't realise there were so many here. lol

hailey greenhat said:
you look rather studio 54 (btw nothing wrong with that seriously, sometimes I'm really into disco esp after watching swingtown)
its lovely.

Nothing wrong with that at all! I think it's the long curly hair + halter top. thankyou!

Caity Lynn said:
Very pretty!!! I'm sure you get this alot, but you remind me alot of :
http://bluemoviereviews.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/pfeiffer.jpg

Nope, never! Thankyou!

Also ladies, I'm going to the Sydney '50s fair on Sunday but have no idea what to do with my long hair. I'm wearing a black sheath/wiggle type dress and a black hat so something youthful like a ponytail is out, but i think my hair is maybe too long to just wear down and curled. Any ideas?

V

Violeta

Blondie said:
I do like them, theyre small but it guarantees good even curls throughout all the hair. I think they work the same as foam rollers, I believe they contain the same sponge/foam. With the pillow rolllers you can create loose or tight curls, it all depends on the tension you use.

V

Violeta

Heres my hair today. This is my usual style. Normally the back is curled, I didn't have time to do so...
3827720395_012340da6c.jpg

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
cecil said:
Also ladies, I'm going to the Sydney '50s fair on Sunday but have no idea what to do with my long hair. I'm wearing a black sheath/wiggle type dress and a black hat so something youthful like a ponytail is out, but i think my hair is maybe too long to just wear down and curled. Any ideas?
I know this might be a bit played but you could do a veronica lake, it would go well with or with out a hat and would look nice with a wiggle dress.

Blondie

Practically Family

I don't know what sort of hat you intened to wear so it makes it hard to offer advice.
I would set your hair and maybe have a low ponytail with a cute barrette if going casual, if not , how about a french roll at the back ?

V

Violeta

Blondie said:
Thanks for the pillow rollers info
You look AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're very welcome!! I always enjoy sharing my hair knowledge, I've come across alot of girls who have great do's but are real snobby when asked how they did it, it's almost as if they're selfish and want to be the only ones with that style. That's why I love FL, everyone is so positive and supporting, a round of applause to all of you!!! :eusa_clap

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Hello Darlings!

I just wanted to say hi. A subscriber of my videos sent me here to look at her hairstyle pictures and i am so happy to have found this board. I hope to contribute some of my trial and error stories as well as learn from all of you!

I'm Ashley. But on Youtube, I'm known as Lisa Freemont Street.
http://www.youtube.com/user/LisaFreemontStreet
I do vintage hair and makeup tutorials as well as product reviews. I hope some of you will visit my channel but that's NOT why I'm here. I just enjoy exchanging tips w/ my other vintage enthusiast friends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass