Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Claireg

One of the Regulars
MaryDeluxe said:
Years ago at an auction I found in a box i bought a bunch of what I will call girl scout hats. I call them this because one of the hats had a Be Prepared girl scout pin on it! I just curled my front bangs, did two pig tails and stuck my hat on at an angle! Probably not the proper girl scout hat position! lol

4238973840_ee04159664.jpg

4239079516_3bb22d76cc.jpg

4239054294_d27b7804dc.jpg
Wow now that is SUPER CUTE!! I wish i could get my curls like that.

Here is my attempts.
Day one after a wet set:
301005.jpg
[/IMG]
then Day two, after sleeping with a couple of well placed pin curls to preserve the waves;
301049.jpg
[/IMG]
Im pretty pleased with the result.
Im getting better slowly!!

Antje

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Years ago at an auction I found in a box i bought a bunch of what I will call girl scout hats. I call them this because one of the hats had a Be Prepared girl scout pin on it! I just curled my front bangs, did two pig tails and stuck my hat on at an angle! Probably not the proper girl scout hat position! lol

4238973840_ee04159664.jpg

4239079516_3bb22d76cc.jpg

4239054294_d27b7804dc.jpg

Lovely berret and a lovely do

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
WOW I love what everyone has been doing! I am envious of long hair...sigh.

I decided to go 1930s last weekend. I think it was a pretty good attempt.

19440_1236793773195_1629776159_6-1.jpg

the pin curls got a bit frizzy, but from what I can tell from movies, frizz is part of being authentic, hehe

19440_1236792933174_1629776159_6-1.jpg

19440_1236792813171_1629776159_6-2.jpg

I set the large side in deep waves ending in pin curls going away from the face.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
~Psycho Sue~ said:
WOW I love what everyone has been doing! I am envious of long hair...sigh.

I decided to go 1930s last weekend. I think it was a pretty good attempt.

19440_1236793773195_1629776159_6-1.jpg

the pin curls got a bit frizzy, but from what I can tell from movies, frizz is part of being authentic, hehe

19440_1236792933174_1629776159_6-1.jpg

19440_1236792813171_1629776159_6-2.jpg

I set the large side in deep waves ending in pin curls going away from the face.

Wow Sue that is such a lovely look on you, it really really suits you

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Smuterella, dear, thanks!

I went really heavy on the setting lotion and combed it in really well. (which later on makes your head ichy....hmmm)

Part your top and side hair on the side creating a large part on one side and a smaller one on the other side. Find the hair on the crown and back sections ans pin them back out of your way so they don't get sucked into the wave.;)

Then, I comb straight down from the part on top, and put one of those big alligator clips across the section of hair. The kind that is curved like this one. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Pinces-Clips/SBS-292605,default,pd.html

After the clip is in place, I comb all the hair under it all towards my face, then place another clip about 2 inches under the first. Then take all the hair and comb it all away from the face, then place another clip 2 inches under the second one.

Keep forming waves by changing the direction you are combing the hair and clipping into place until you have only 3 inches of hair left. With the last 3 inches make a few pin curl ringlets.

Oh I want to see if it works for you! I have a Middy cut and even with shorter bangs I can pull this off.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Mary...Your hair always looks smashing! btw I love reading your blog!!!

Claireg...You are so good at this! Everything is turning out really great.

Sue...OMG, you are absolutely smoldering in that first pic, nice lippy too!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Inky said:
LOL - amy jeanne you are so funny! Not even close to the flock of seagulls guy (and even at that time his hair was ridiculous!).

I agree with Lisa, try smaller bits of hair - that Rachel McAdams pic is lovely - and keep practicing. It was over a year and a half before I had rolls even remotely worth a trip out of doors and so far that has only happened ONCE, lol.

Most of the time I look like this guy when I try:

Dracula6.jpg

You are too too funny! btw I love Gary Oldham as Drac even if his Victory Rolls sucked. ;)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MaryDeluxe = I can only dream of curls like that! Maybe one day...

Claireg = I've been watching your attempts at vintage hairstyling and you are improving with every one! Have you tried pincurling your whole head and then styling/rolling it? I find it easier to manage when I do that. And just a little bit of constructive criticism here: work on taming those flyaways ;)

Sue = You do look 30s in those pics. What colour red is that? I'm going to dye my hair an unnatural red once my roots get too unbearable.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
Sue = You do look 30s in those pics. What colour red is that? I'm going to dye my hair an unnatural red once my roots get too unbearable.

NO WAY! You lOVE your platinum! But I do think you also have skin tone for reds! I have been both, but reds are much less damaging I found out.

It is a salon color. Made by Wella. It's number is 43 or 41, a intensive red with a 20 developer and an extra red "kicker" as the colorist calls it. Totally volcanic and I am in love with it! But if you can't get salon color, then I would suggest Manic panic that LFS uses, it is very vibrant. And your hair is already bleached so manic panic would seriously take hardcore.

Inky

One Too Many
If you're going to go red and really want vibrant then use Special Effects instead of Manic Panic. It lasts much longer and has a better selection of reds.

Nuclear red - orange based - bright, does not fade nicely.
Devilish red - pink based - VERY bright - fades nicely.
Blood red - blue based red - darker and fades beautifully.

I am using a combo of devilish and touch of blood red right now. I wash my hair once a week and the color does not fade between visits to the salon for root touch up (every 6 to 8 weeks but I have a great deal of gray to cover). You can buy this color yourself, you don't have to go to a salon to get it done.

I think red would be fun for you to try and then you could always go dark over it down the road.

Smuterella

One Too Many
~Psycho Sue~ said:
Smuterella, dear, thanks!

I went really heavy on the setting lotion and combed it in really well. (which later on makes your head ichy....hmmm)

Part your top and side hair on the side creating a large part on one side and a smaller one on the other side. Find the hair on the crown and back sections ans pin them back out of your way so they don't get sucked into the wave.;)

Then, I comb straight down from the part on top, and put one of those big alligator clips across the section of hair. The kind that is curved like this one. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Pinces-Clips/SBS-292605,default,pd.html

After the clip is in place, I comb all the hair under it all towards my face, then place another clip about 2 inches under the first. Then take all the hair and comb it all away from the face, then place another clip 2 inches under the second one.

Keep forming waves by changing the direction you are combing the hair and clipping into place until you have only 3 inches of hair left. With the last 3 inches make a few pin curl ringlets.

Oh I want to see if it works for you! I have a Middy cut and even with shorter bangs I can pull this off.

I am definitely going to try this when I next do a set, its been a few days, I'm having a lazy spell. Thanks!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
If you're going to go red and really want vibrant then use Special Effects instead of Manic Panic. It lasts much longer and has a better selection of reds.

Nuclear red - orange based - bright, does not fade nicely.
Devilish red - pink based - VERY bright - fades nicely.
Blood red - blue based red - darker and fades beautifully.

I am using a combo of devilish and touch of blood red right now. I wash my hair once a week and the color does not fade between visits to the salon for root touch up (every 6 to 8 weeks but I have a great deal of gray to cover). You can buy this color yourself, you don't have to go to a salon to get it done.

I think red would be fun for you to try and then you could always go dark over it down the road.

I actually chose MP over SFX because of the color selection...I like how many reds MP has...mixing and matching them is so fun. But it doesnt wear as long as SFX, that's for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran