Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I always use a setting lotion (whichever is the cheapest!) and rollers. I can’t really recommend anything to use with hotsticks as I’ve never used them.

As for the clown hair I always get that:mad:- it takes me an age to brush the curls back in and I never seem to escape it when in the brushing out stage- a real nightmare. I have fairly thick hair so maybe that’s the problem- any help with the brushing out to make it a lot quicker without getting the frizz would be gratefully received!
tups x

Miss sofia

One Too Many
'Clown hair' - i love it! I saw on a tutorial somewhere that it is better to brush the hair out slowly, since i get terrible clown hair and tend to attack my hair as i'm always in a rush i'm going to give that a whirl tomorrow.

Rocketblast - I have the same hair issues as you amd setting my hair at night seems to be the way forward. I use mainly medium sponge rollers or take about an inch and a half section of hair for a pincurl and i get better defined pincurls or curls, as before i was using the small pink rollers which gave me too much frizz. Setting lotion diluted half and half with water, or mousse is what i use and it seems to work ok on my lank old barnet. I also let my hair dry naturally until it is dampish whiich helps cut down on the clown hair look too!

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
I will have to get myself some sponge rollers for sleeping in and give them a whirl. Can't believe how many different curling products I am accumulating trying to find the right one - I won't have room to move soon! The other thing that I always seem to get with my clown hair is one bit of hair that just wants to flick out in the wrong direction and won't be tamed. Maybe one day I'll perfect this hair styling lark..

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Meanwhile, here is my hairdo from New Year's Eve, my first attempt at finger waving, which I was quite pleased with, and it still looked good the next day, although no-one got to see it as I was so very hungover!
nyejpg-1.jpg
nye3.jpg
nye2jpg-1.jpg
nye4jpg-1.jpg

You can see the Mad Hatter was impressed ;)

Your fingerwaves are perfect and I ♥ the spit curl!

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Tups, have you tried brushing over the back of your hand? I mean taking an area of hair and brushing with your dominant hand while your other hand is under the hair? I found it gave me a much sleeker look quite fast once I started doing it. I had never realized I could practically avoid the puff altogether just by doing that.

As for the clown hair I always get that:mad:- it takes me an age to brush the curls back in and I never seem to escape it when in the brushing out stage- a real nightmare. I have fairly thick hair so maybe that’s the problem- any help with the brushing out to make it a lot quicker without getting the frizz would be gratefully received!
tups x

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I haven't checked in for a while and I was very inspired as usual looking through the recent posts!
It's been a while since I did anything particularly interesting with my hair, due to not really doing anything interesting coupled with bad weather! But I'll share today's reasonable effort just because I've never tried this before. It's a back roll done with a head scarf (it's in Lauren Rennell's vintage hairstyling book).
1.jpg

3.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That looks beautiful! I'm not great at updo's of any kind, but you've spurred me on to have a go! It would make a change from my usual Rosie headscarf look.

I don't have that book - could you give me a rough guide as to how it's done if it's not too much trouble. xx

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
That looks beautiful! I'm not great at updo's of any kind, but you've spurred me on to have a go! It would make a change from my usual Rosie headscarf look.

I don't have that book - could you give me a rough guide as to how it's done if it's not too much trouble. xx

thank you miss Sofia!! It's a good one for days when you can't be bothered to curl! :). Here's a little how-to, it's very simple:
put your hair in a loose ponytail (pull the hairband down as far as you can without hair slipping away), then place the scarf over the bottom of your ponytail, turn the hair over the scarf, then keep rolling up until you hit the nape of your neck, then tie the ends on top of your head! très simple!

Tatum

Practically Family
I haven't checked in for a while and I was very inspired as usual looking through the recent posts!
It's been a while since I did anything particularly interesting with my hair, due to not really doing anything interesting coupled with bad weather! But I'll share today's reasonable effort just because I've never tried this before. It's a back roll done with a head scarf (it's in Lauren Rennell's vintage hairstyling book).
1.jpg

3.jpg

Good show, Lina! I always goof that one up when I try it. It looks great on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24