Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

missjazzage

New in Town
I knew that modern hair dresser didn't know how to do a proper shingle bob.

Thank you so much, I Adore Film Noir. It looked positively dreadful when it was first done, which has been close to a month now.

Also thank you for that link. :D

Tatum

Practically Family
Yep :) I tore each piece into 4 strips, put a piece of toilet paper on the ends of the curls to hold them in place, and rolled them up in the paper towels. If you're having trouble I strongly recommend the toilet paper/end papers. They keep shorter strands from falling out and the ends from getting all kinked up. Before I got rollers I would curl my hair with trouser socks too, since my cats kept stealing my rags lol I was calling myself McGuyver all night.
Thank you so much for the lovely words, everybody!

So your strips where about an inch wide or so? I have tried doing it this way (image below), but I still haven't quite figured it out. It would be lovely to have the skill for traveling!

b180383533.gif

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Promise not to laugh!

This is the result of my first try with heated bendy rollers:

pics004.jpg

Please ignore my lack of make up and general hideousness. The curls have lasted all day even though I got rained on!

It's not really a style and there were random straight bits but overall I really like having curly hair.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
So your strips where about an inch wide or so? I have tried doing it this way (image below), but I still haven't quite figured it out. It would be lovely to have the skill for traveling!

b180383533.gif

About an inch or two, yeah. I tore 4 even strips along the short side and the measurements were about perfect, but they could probably have been a little longer. As long as it's enough to tie together. That's almost what I do, but I don't wrap the strip around like that. I just lay the hair over the middle and roll it up like a roller. Then the ends are tied together. I found this video that shows exactly what I do, with the end papers and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbgM1e6w40

rue

Promise not to laugh!

This is the result of my first try with heated bendy rollers:

pics004.jpg

Please ignore my lack of make up and general hideousness. The curls have lasted all day even though I got rained on!

It's not really a style and there were random straight bits but overall I really like having curly hair.

I'm not laughing, you did fine :) Did you spray your hair before rolling it and was it completely dry? Also setting lotion works well.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I'm not laughing, you did fine :) Did you spray your hair before rolling it and was it completely dry? Also setting lotion works well.

I bought some setting lotion yesterday as I didn't have any so I am hoping that it helps!

My hair was a little damp but I think I rolled some of them wrong as the curls were in all different directions.

Hoping I get quicker too as it took ages!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
It takes time to get your set right, lots of practice, you did fine, as Miss Rue said. I still struggle with it and have days where my barnet looks awful and the curls don't come out right. Setting lotion is a good idea or even some mousse works well too.

Tatum

Practically Family
About an inch or two, yeah. I tore 4 even strips along the short side and the measurements were about perfect, but they could probably have been a little longer. As long as it's enough to tie together. That's almost what I do, but I don't wrap the strip around like that. I just lay the hair over the middle and roll it up like a roller. Then the ends are tied together. I found this video that shows exactly what I do, with the end papers and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbgM1e6w40

Thanks for posting the tutorial! I am going to give that a shot later today...

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I agree! It's very elegant, it reminds me of the Irene Jansen style in one of LisaFreemontStreet's tutorials :)
This was taken later on last night at a history themed wedding fundraiser. It needed to be brushed by the time the picture was taken. I think it's the best job I've done so far, and I used paper towels of all things because I had used up all my rollers on my friend. I'm very oddly proud of that lol I even won a ton of Mary Kay makeup in the costume contest! Yikes, sorry about the size!
180001_10150106755857996_514012995_6279394_6151962_n.jpg

Hi Penny! Gorgeous hair. Love your dress too, is it a Stop Staring dress?
X
BD

angeljenny

A-List Customer
It takes time to get your set right, lots of practice, you did fine, as Miss Rue said. I still struggle with it and have days where my barnet looks awful and the curls don't come out right. Setting lotion is a good idea or even some mousse works well too.

My second try went a little better as I think all the bendy rollers were crossed in the same direction so I managed to sleep in them all night.

The photograph was taken this morning and I got soaked in the rain later on so I have such messy hair now and I have my first WI meeting later!

again002.jpg

Jeepers I really need to get serious on my diet too.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
My second try went a little better as I think all the bendy rollers were crossed in the same direction so I managed to sleep in them all night.

The photograph was taken this morning and I got soaked in the rain later on so I have such messy hair now and I have my first WI meeting later!

again002.jpg

That's a cute hairstyle on you.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars

again002.jpg

Wow! That's way better than my second attempt ever was! Good job!
Bendy rollers? From Poundland? Please say they are because mine are too. They're the best thing I have found for getting curls into my annoyingly straight hair.

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
xmasm.jpg

My hair from Christmas eve.. we had to visit quite a few families, so I didnt get to spend as much time as I had wanted.

Also,I just wanted to let you all know that I am now available for haircuts, styling & makeup at True Salon in Palo Alto, Ca (SF BAY AREA)

I absolutely adore vintage hair (&more) and thought I'd put the word out as I know it can be frustrating to go to a stylist that just doesn't "get" your style.
Take a look at my website for samples of my work & more info!
http://makeupandhairbyvivian.webs.com

I'd love to meet some of you! =)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Wow! That's way better than my second attempt ever was! Good job!
Bendy rollers? From Poundland? Please say they are because mine are too. They're the best thing I have found for getting curls into my annoyingly straight hair.

Thank you!

They are Nicky Clarke heated ones although I used them cold as I didn't have the patience to wait for them to heat up!
My arms ached afterwards! I didn't curl my hair last night as it was WI night and it feels strange having straightish hair today.

Tifa

Familiar Face
xmasm.jpg

My hair from Christmas eve.. we had to visit quite a few families, so I didnt get to spend as much time as I had wanted.

Also,I just wanted to let you all know that I am now available for haircuts, styling & makeup at True Salon in Palo Alto, Ca (SF BAY AREA)

I absolutely adore vintage hair (&more) and thought I'd put the word out as I know it can be frustrating to go to a stylist that just doesn't "get" your style.

So pretty, love your pink hair!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
xmasm.jpg

I absolutely adore your hair!

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Is Poundland like Dollar store?

I thiiiink so. Every thing there is one pound; it's magical.

Thank you!

They are Nicky Clarke heated ones although I used them cold as I didn't have the patience to wait for them to heat up!
My arms ached afterwards! I didn't curl my hair last night as it was WI night and it feels strange having straightish hair today.

Are they the ones in the little black bag thing? I just can't get mine to work. It's odd because I usually love Nicky Clark products.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy