Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
SaraBell,
LOVE your hair! How hard is it to get your hair to behave like that? Got any good pointers? Very 30-ish looking and a very striking hairstyle for you. I'll bet you're turning heads with that hairdo!

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Thanks! I didn't actually do this myself...too difficult. I had another girl from the school do it and she used water and lots and lots of wave set, also, the bottom 2 rows are pincurls. Then I went under the dryer for a while and after had it combed out and styled.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BonnieJean your hair looks incredible! Your curls are so perfect, I am envious!!

Fleur your hair looks incredible too, you are so lovely!!

Pink congrats on finally finding a Pink Dahlia:eusa_clap It looks beautiful in your hair, and your hair looks wonderful!

SaraBell your waves are amazing!! Really, they look amazing.

Lolita your new avatar is great, you look so pretty with your hair pulled back. Don't get me wrong, you look great with it down too!! It's just so very nice up too:)

I'm so very jealous of all of you gals. Your hair always looks so wonderful. I've been setting my hair a lot lately, but nothing ever comes out the way I want it to, so I haven't been taking any photos.
I did finally get a hair cut. Not too much, just about 5 inches:eek: But it's still pretty long. I've talked to my new stylist about thinning my hair a bit, but I ended up not doing it. It would be good for vintage styles. I have a lot of hair and when I do it curly it just ends up getting really big. But, I don't do it vintage every day, so on the days when I'm modern Daisy, my poker straight hair would look too thin if I wore it down. I am thinking about it a bit.
I'm also not happy with the Lottabody. I know a lot of you gals love it, but it just doesn't seem to hold a set the way the other stuff I was using does. I can't think of the name at the moment, but I got it from Sally. I went to Sally the other day to buy a new bottle and they either were all out of it or they don't sell it any longer:( But, it seems that I got bouncier curls that lasted longer than when I use the Lottabody. The Lottabody seems to make my hair dryer than the other kind. When I comb out my hair after I take out a set I do get waves, but on the days when I want curls it's just no good. Also, by the end of the day even my waves lose their wave. It's so frustrating to take the time to set my entire head in curlers, sleep in them, take them out the next morning and not have curls[huh]

I have been using a curler that I'm happier with than the Sassy curlers. After I had used the Sassy curlers a couple of times they got all bent out of shape. Also, they absorbed a lot of fluid, so the bottom half of my curls weren't drying, even after sleeping in them and sitting under the bonnet dryer. I found these http://www.hairproducts.com/products.php?page=2&cat_id=14]Hair Art Super Rollers. They come in all different sizes so the above link is to a page with a few different types, just scroll down to the bottom to see the different sizes they offer. I got mine a while back from American Discount Beauty Supply but I couldn't seem to find them there anymore:( But the above site had the best price for them out of all the sites I found when I googled the product. At $6.95 for a package of 10 or 12 depending on the size of the curler, I think that's not a bad price. Half the price of the Sassy Curlers.
I've been using the largest and the second to largest to get more of a wave. They are really easy to use, and because they are so big and bendable I can use a large amount of hair or a small amount in each one, thus there are more options for different styles of curls. I didn't have that option with the Sassy curlers. I've found that if I use the largest size I get a very nice Veronica Lakeish style curl/large wave (at least I wish they were like Veronica's). Warning though, these curlers are very large. They are bendable, soft, foam rods. Being that they are so big they aren't too comfortable to sleep in. The thinner ones might be better to sleep in, I have yet to try them. I have been using them in the morning. I dampen my dry hair with setting lotion, set, then sit under the bonnet for about an hour. So, if you have time to do something like this, it's totally worth it. I just have to get my hands on that other setting lotion I was using, since it dries incredibly fast. I have slept in these curlers. Although not the best sleep I've had lately, I did wake up with a very nice set of curls.
I also really like the tighter curls I've been getting out of the smaller size rods. I like too that since they are bendable, I can make my curls as tight or as loose as I want, yet not worry about the rod falling out. Did I mention they are super easy to use:) At least they seem that way to me. I like that they are longer and more solid than the Sassy curlers. I just feel like I have more control when putting them in. Also good since to close the ends you just bend down the sides, or you can twist them, instead of having to pull one end through a whole in the other. With the Sassy curlers I had to pull the end through very tight, or they would come undone. I don't have that problem with these.
Well, I'll see if I have a chance to set my hair tomorrow with them, that is if I can find that other setting lotion that works better for me.
Here's a pic of the largest size, but again the link above has 4 different sizes including a very slim one, just scroll down to the bottom of the page:)

May I also just add again that all of you gals are so incredibly lovely!! I am envious:)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Daisy,
Regarding the setting lotion at Sally's, did you ask the sales clerk about it? The gals at my local Sally's are pretty informative and seem to know their products. Also, the Sally stores don't always carry their entire line of products and what they do carry varies from time to time. The product you used before may have changed their container look/colors too. Have you been to Sally's online? You can go there and look up their products and then they might be able to get it for you if they don't have it on hand or maybe you can find the stuff elsewhere.

I'm also not as impressed with the Lottabody, because I've noticed the drying problem too, so I'm on the lookout for something else.

Best wishes, and show us some recent photos with your new haircut. Cutting 5 inches off can still give a different look when you style it. I wish I had 5 inches that I could spare to cut off--my hair grows very slowly. :rolleyes:

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's been a week since my haircut. She cut off 4 inches and no one noticed; not one person mentioned it was shorter, just that my hair-do looked beautiful. Now it only takes one day to dry naturally instead of one and a half. ;)
Lolita, thanks for the name of the hairspray. When I use up all of my Breck I'll get some. Somewhere around I even have a coupon! :)
Everyone's hair looks so nice.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Pink, welcome back! Love the dalhia!

Sara, your waves are simply wonderful! You look gorgeous!

Bonnie, love the new shade on you. Looks perfectly natural!!

Fleur, I agree with the others.. new avatar!!

Lo, thanks.. I'll check out the Pantene. I used to love their others sprays and then they changed it.

Nikki

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Pink, I'm glad that you found your dahlia because it looks so pretty and now you really can be PINK DAHLIA!!!!

Sara, your hair looks great and I love the color of your eyes-very beautiful.Is wave set a generic term or an actual product?I've been trying to figure that out for ages:eek:

Daisy, don't fret.You are just as cute as you can be:) I have really thick straight hair also.I've had it thinned before and I liked it(it made my head feel so much lighter).Of course I'd gotten Marilyn Monroe's haircut from How to Marry a Millionaire .I curled it every morning-it literally took me about 5 minutes.So, I guess our situations are a little different.Anyway, I would say that if you are looking to loose a little bulk for the summer you could thin it a little and you could always curl the ends under with a curling iron (about 5-10 minutes) and that would give it more body.It's just an idea and please, don't think that I'm trying to pressure you about it!Also, thanks for posting the information about the curlers.I thought that you said ,somewhere, that they were very easy to use.If I could only put my finger on it....lol

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Small Town Girl: Thanks, I'm pretty sure that wave set and setting lotion are the same thing...it's just what everybody calls it at my school.[huh]

bombchanelno.5

New in Town
The one i'm most proud of was Senior Prom hair!
l_def5e45dc1504cf9b8598e06a0bb16b5.jpg

My everyday do is usually a Elvira-esque bouffant or a Brigitte Bardot voluminous mess.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Ladies for the comments on my hair. :) I have to say, I am really impressed with the way the gals have been wearing their hair! Yay!!

Here is how I wore my hair today. I am wearing my black 40's-50's topper/saucer (?) hat.
IM000106b.jpg

LH4Loungingb.jpg

bombchanelno.5

New in Town
Rica Chez said:
OMG SOOO GORGEOUS!!!
Thank you kindly, doll!!
I was going to Jean Harlow meets Cleopatra.
Our theme was 1930s Hollywood.
My date had a fedora with a peacock feather and a zoot suit with a golden pocket chain to match the chain attached to the back of my dress.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
bombchanelno.5 said:
The one i'm most proud of was Senior Prom hair!
l_def5e45dc1504cf9b8598e06a0bb16b5.jpg

My everyday do is usually a Elvira-esque bouffant or a Brigitte Bardot voluminous mess.

Gasp, please tell me this was taken years ago and you aren't in high school.............Yowza

Nashoba

One Too Many
Sigh. Lolita how do you do it? I can't ever seem to get my rolls to look quite like that. You just look so stunning and the way you carry it makes it look so effortless....back to the practicing for me I guess!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Kind of finger waves with Hot Sticks...

Nicoletta,
Back in the "old days" women went to beauty parlors to have their hair waved. With a good set, a woman could get it to last almost a week. These days, you need to have a knowledgeable beautician or be one yourself to manage a true finger wave or else be extremely talented.

I'm always looking for the easiest way to do things and hot sticks work for me! When I first got on the FL, Jitterbug Doll mentioned using hot sticks to get a pin-curled look. Well, I've been working with them for some time now and I'm getting a lot better at it, I think. Today, I got a more finger wave look with my sticks--
hair.JPG

Hint: I usually don't let the sticks heat up until the ready dot says its ready--they're way too hot for me. I usually plug them in while I put on my make-up and when I'm done with that, the sticks are usually plenty hot.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Lovely hair ladies!

Since I've started growing out my bangs (they are down to my upper lip now!) I haven't been able to do anything but curls. It's just too hard to do this when the majority of my hair is a good 6 inches longer than the front pieces. I wish I could do rolls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff