Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

BOOMBEBE

New in Town
ohairas said:
I hear ya sister, and don't even get us going on SHOES!:p
Nikki
plsr2sm.jpg

plsr1sm.jpg

ldyshoes.jpg

lol SHOES!
Daddyos.com

Nashoba

One Too Many
OMG I went BLONDE!!!!

Ok so it isn't platinum but for someone who's been as dark haired as I've been all my life (see my avitar!) it's pretty danged blonde. It's photographing darker than it actually is, it's a bit lighter ash than this with more caramelly highlights, but you get a bit of an idea. It is a bit blonder in person, but holy smokes. I'm still in a bit of a shock state. I can't believe I actually had my stylist do it! When I asked her how she felt about me being a blonde I thought she was going to go giddy on me. My husband is going to freak (but in a good way I think...) It's in a completely non vintage style today since she didn't have time to fix it up but what do y'all think????

me1.JPG

me2.JPG

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nashoba,
That is super cute! Your hubby is going to go wild!
You know what they say about blondes...they have more fun!
And I'm speaking as a former mousy brown haired...
I can't wait to see your hair styled vintage.
Great haircolor! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nashoba

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:
Nashoba,
That is super cute! Your hubby is going to go wild!
You know what they say about blondes...they have more fun!
And I'm speaking as a former mousy brown haired...
I can't wait to see your hair styled vintage.
Great haircolor! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hey thanks! I sent him some pics but I havn't heard back from him....
I'll post some pics when I get around to actually styling it!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Nashoba it looks fantastic! I love it!
Welcome to the world of color maintenance, lol! I bet you will get more comments being blond tho, that's the story from my clients! ;)
Nikki

Nashoba

One Too Many
Ok so the husband's response.
'Wow, that's really blonde. It looks fine'
I didn't particularly like that answer. So I asked him if he liked it, and he asked if I liked it. He has this ridiculous habit of answering a question with the same question. So he said he thinks he likes it but it's not a very good picture of me and he wants to see it up close. hmmm he's never been very good at compliments. lol. When I first started dressing vintage I did some of the more elaborate hairstyles. I asked him what he thought, he said he loved the clothes and hated my hair lol. sigh. 2 more months.....

Nikki: Yeah I know. I've had highlights for years but was pretty lazy about the upkeep and since they blended pretty well I never really paid too much attention. I don't think I'll have that luxury now. I actually might go back in this week because I think that towards the front of my face the color didn't quite go high enough up to the base. right around my forhead kind of looks like my roots are coming in. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't wear my hair up so often. I'll have to go in and see what my stylist thinks. It could just be me.

Goldleaf you're just too sweet!

Goldwyn Thanks! I've already gotten some comments from my neighbors, one of whom didn't even recognize me! :) She said if I hadn't had Maverick with me she wouldn't have known me :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
...So he said he thinks he likes it but it's not a very good picture of me and he wants to see it up close. hmmm he's never been very good at compliments. lol. When I first started dressing vintage I did some of the more elaborate hairstyles. I asked him what he thought, he said he loved the clothes and hated my hair lol. sigh. 2 more months.....

I would keep the hair color for now and when hubby gets back and "sees it up close" and then if he still isn't thrilled with it, you can always color it back or at least a few shades darker. Just my 2 cents...

Sometimes photos don't show how we really look here on the internet. And the camera angle and lighting can make a big difference. I've posted a few of my own here on the hairdos thread and when I asked hubby if he saw them (he's also a FL member) he told me that one of them made my nose look big and he hardly recognized me and we've been together over 26 years! I still haven't figured out if he was just being polite about a terrible photo of me or not. :eusa_doh: Hubbys! You got to love 'em!

Nashoba

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:
I would keep the hair color for now and when hubby gets back and "sees it up close" and then if he still isn't thrilled with it, you can always color it back or at least a few shades darker. Just my 2 cents...

Sometimes photos don't show how we really look here on the internet. And the camera angle and lighting can make a big difference. I've posted a few of my own here on the hairdos thread and when I asked hubby if he saw them (he's also a FL member) he told me that one of them made my nose look big and he hardly recognized me and we've been together over 26 years! I still haven't figured out if he was just being polite about a terrible photo of me or not. :eusa_doh: Hubbys! You got to love 'em!

Yeah that's kind of my take on it. My self-portraits are never terribly flattering and the lighting really does make it photograph darker blonde than it really is. add the distortion from the internet and I can see why he said the pic isn't very flattering. It also makes me look a bit heavier than I really am. I had an appt for Sept 10th for a touch up / partial foil but he told me I'd better move that appt up to late August if I wanted to get it done before he came home....that made me VERY happy :). My hair stylist talked about maybe bringing it to a more auburn shade for the deep winter months and then back up to a more blonde shade in the spring and summer. I'm definately going to keep it for a while, I'm going back home to California next month and the shock factor is just going to be too much fun to pass up ;) I think he'll like it, he just can't make a very good decision from a picture and a not a great one at that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one lol

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Bonnet dryer or hot rollers?

Nashoba- Your new hair color looks great; it complements your skin tone very well and that's always the hardest to achieve. You may find your hair responds differently to styling now. You may need hotter or colder rollers or more or less setting lotion, nothing drastic.

Does anyone use a bonnet dryer regularly?
I usually go to the gym in the morning, so it’s useless for me to set my hair overnight. I’m considering purchasing either a bonnet dryer or a set of Clairol benders, (hot sticks if I can’t get benders.) What do you gals think would be the most efficient? I like the bonnet dryer because I can curl my hair any style. I can use big rollers, bendable foam rollers (super rollers), barrel curls, pin curls… But I don’t know how long it would take to dry. Should I just get the Clairol benders?

Also, has anyone seen the Christina Aguilera ‘Candyman’ music video. In the video there are three Christina Aguilera’s, a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead. This looks to me like the Andrews Sisters’, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.” Well I was wondering if anyone knows how she has her hair done in the video. It’s clear the blonde has rolls and a pony tail. But the redhead and brunette have really nice hair do’s also and I can’t tell how they have it done. It looks like some sort of back roll. I really like their lipstick too. It’s a very low-key orange-coral-red. It would be perfect for everyday wear. Does anyone know a shade of red similar to this one?

Here are some pictures I’ve found:
http://www.universe-of-luxury.com/piaget/bijoux/2007/aguilera.html

You can view the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WAT8oSvdVI

missmelly

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
Also, has anyone seen the Christina Aguilera ‘Candyman’ music video. In the video there are three Christina Aguilera’s, a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead. This looks to me like the Andrews Sisters’, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.” Well I was wondering if anyone knows how she has her hair done in the video. It’s clear the blonde has rolls and a pony tail. But the redhead and brunette have really nice hair do’s also and I can’t tell how they have it done. It looks like some sort of back roll. I really like their lipstick too. It’s a very low-key orange-coral-red. It would be perfect for everyday wear. Does anyone know a shade of red similar to this one?
MarieAnne - when I had long hair I used to roll it like she did in that video. I used to just start with a section of hair near the forehead on the side and start twisting it away from the face (like twisting it into a crown or halo). As I twisted, I pulled in smaller chunks of hair from under the roll (much like a french braid) and just worked my way towards the back. As you get to the neck, I stopped twisting and I secured each roll on the sides with a million bobbypins since my hair was so heavy. Then I'd take all the loose hair in the very back and just roll it upwards on itself then secure it with another million bobbypins at my neck. A friend of my parents used to put cotton strips (like hairdressers use to protect your forehead for perms) inside the rolls. You can also rat the starting sections so you get some lift in the first part. You can start with a part down the middle or side just as long as you twist both sides first.
Does any of this make sense? I hope so. It was exhausting just to write.:p Good luck!
.:Miss Melly:.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Nashoba, I'm just new here but I think it's great. Take heart, he'll love it in person. I've been coloring red for a loooong time, and I thought recently about going back to my natural, blonde. Well, I asked the hubby, figuring that he'd love that as he hadn't jumped for joy at the red to begin with. It knocked me over when he said he wanted me to keep the red! LOL He'd come around in the end :) He just likes you - the hair is secondary

Nashoba

One Too Many
ShortClara said:
Nashoba, I'm just new here but I think it's great. Take heart, he'll love it in person. I've been coloring red for a loooong time, and I thought recently about going back to my natural, blonde. Well, I asked the hubby, figuring that he'd love that as he hadn't jumped for joy at the red to begin with. It knocked me over when he said he wanted me to keep the red! LOL He'd come around in the end :) He just likes you - the hair is secondary

Aww thanks Clara, that's sweet! I'm not too worried about him liking it :) He just drives me crazy with the way he responds to things lol. We've been married and together long enough that I know he only wants me to be happy and if I like it he'll deal with it. lol. It's just really really different since my natural color is pretty dark brown. He's got a couple of months to get used to the idea anyway before he comes back.
And Welcome to the Lounge!!!!!

Bunno

New in Town
First Attempt at Pin Curls and Rolls

last night I gave pin curls a try for the first time ever. It was fun! Is it weird to feel glamorous just putting the pin curls in? I slept in them over night woke up this morning and finger combed them out and went "wow! curls! what am I supposed to do now?!"

So I flubbed my way into some very sloppy rolls.

_IMG_2306_2a.JPG
_IMG_2309_5a.JPG

Ignore the fact that my part is crooked and I desperately need to touch up my roots and I promise next time I won't take the pictures with the bathroom door as a backdrop because you can't even see the hair without nasty auto-correcting the pictures!

Anyway, how'd I do? I'm very nervous that I did it all wrong for my first time. Any tips for the bangs? I'm due to trim them up and wanted to incorporate anything to make them a little more Bettie.

Thanks!
-Bunno

((edited to correct my mind-numbing lapse of spelling Bettie Page's name wrong! ugh))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy