Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

zaika

One Too Many
shebagrl - cute cute cute!! i love your curls! they look great to me. :)

laura - my fringe is really short too...about three inches? i can't estimate, but they are a nusiance! i'll have to experiment this weekend. :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
Thanks! I've always been hesitant to try anything with height...it makes me feel weird. What do you think...pomp? Rolls?

This cracks me up as I was a teen in the "big mall hair" days. You young gals probably are afraid of any height, and bangs/fringe.
Zaika I think it would be beautiful on you, just try it and take some pics. Your curls turned out wonderful!

Shebagrl your curls came out wonderful as well. I'm jealous!!

Serenity, I agree with Laura.. just keep brushing and smoothing around your hands. You may need to put in a serum such as Biosilk Silk Therapy.

Josephine your henna is gorgeous. How often do you do it?

Welcome to all the new ladies!
Nikki

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Thanks so much for the compliments! My little sister the hair stylist sure was impressed. She said that pin curls are one of the most feared things about the state cosmetology board exams! So, just when we feel like throwing pins and combs across our boudoirs and opting for something mundane, just remember that even the professionals have jitters about curls!

Blondie, I LOVE your red/blonde in that first photo. What a lovely color!

BeBopBaby, That updo with the rolls and flower is such fun! I think I may have to try that myself ;)

zaika

One Too Many
ohairas said:
This cracks me up as I was a teen in the "big mall hair" days. You young gals probably are afraid of any height, and bangs/fringe.
Zaika I think it would be beautiful on you, just try it and take some pics. Your curls turned out wonderful!

LOL. I was Jr. High during the last days of big mall hair (late 80's/ealry 90's??), and even though I tried for the huge bangs I was rather shy to really go for it. hehe. My mom kept telling me to go bigger and bigger (she was on the mall hair train), but I didn't want to attract any more attention than I already did for being taller than everyone else!
I just have to remember that pomps and rolls are NOT considered mall hair. lol

Josephine

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Josephine your henna is gorgeous. How often do you do it?

Thanks! :) I do my roots (from the ears forward) every two weeks as I'm near 90% grey around my face, then do a whole head application every two months or so.

shebagrl your curls look very cute. :D

Miss Chase

New in Town
Hi everyone I'm new. Just wanted to say you all have such beautiful hair I'm so jealous! I have a big thick frizzy mane that just wont work with me!!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Mall Hair! I love it...I remember wearing too much denim and having veryyyyyy big hair which I teased and sprayed to death.....I looked like Tiffany, not a good look!

Ah, happy memories!!:eusa_doh:

(Welcome Miss Chaise!)

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Miss Chase said:
Hi everyone I'm new. Just wanted to say you all have such beautiful hair I'm so jealous! I have a big thick frizzy mane that just wont work with me!!

Hi Miss Chase! I'm new too! We can be newbies together ;) I bet your textured hair would be good for rolls -- give 'er a try and see how it comes out! I bet it will look great :)

Josephine

One Too Many
Miss Chase said:

Hello and welcome! You might want to consider washing only with conditioner. Frizzy hair is usually curly hair without enough moisture, and washing it with conditioner instead of shampoo will moisturize it and bring out the curls and tame the frizz. :)

leaette

A-List Customer
shebagrl: really pretty curls! i like your hair color. i'm a blonde too but mine is a darker.
if you take a brush and brush out your curls, it will make pretty waves. you should try that too. you could have the veronica lake look. your hair is long enough.

SerenityAshes

Familiar Face
Oh thank you so much for you tips... I'll have a try once again and see how it goes. I really appreciate your suggestions Laura Chase & Ohairas.. Infact I never tried to brush it for several times.. I always tried to brush it once and that's it :eusa_doh:

What I'm looking for is a similar style to Pigeon Toe, the one she has in her Avatar, though wanted a bit more waves on my fringe. I dont want my hair to look curly

Johanna - if you read this message, I just wanted to inform you that there are specific dyes for people who are allergic to the normal dye that is used in salons.. I've learnt this in my hairdressing course. So I am sure that if you check your local salon and tell her with your problem, they will help you. Though always make sure that they do an allergy test before putting the colour on you. Oh and P.S. You are lovely girl!!! :p

Miss Chase & Shebagrl - Welcome to the Fedora Lounge.. as you can see I'm new here as well :)

For the "washing only with conditioner", I just want you to be extra careful or your hair will come a bit dull especially if your hair is blonde (lighter shades are very difficult to get the shine as ppl with dark hair). Nowadays you'll find a lot of good products at reasonable prices which are specifically for frizzy hair. I would suggest the Tresseme' products, especially their Treatment Mask which should be a must-have for everyone!! Also, what I love to use is Gloss Spray (instead of serum), coz it gives that wonderful gloss without weighing the hair (for fine hair, you should spray on the brush and brush your hair, instead of putting it directly on your hair.. it will work wonders!)

Sorry for the long post :eusa_doh:

Josephine

One Too Many
SerenityAshes said:
For the "washing only with conditioner", I just want you to be extra careful or your hair will come a bit dull especially if your hair is blonde (lighter shades are very difficult to get the shine as ppl with dark hair).

If you use a lot of products, your hair can get dull as the conditioners you use to wash with (less expensive kinds, not the expensive ones) aren't stripping your hair of the product like the shampoos do, so your hair can get dull. All I use is aloe vera gel, but I know of others who CO wash and they do a baking soda wash/apple cider vinegar rinse to get rid of product build up.

SerenityAshes

Familiar Face
I dont know! I would still opt for washing hair with a shampoo.. there are so many products nowadays that help combats the frizz that there's no need to wash your hair with conditioner only..

What I found really good, especially on my sister whom used to bleach her hair all the time, is investing on an intensive conditioner or treatment mask, wash your hair in the morning, towel dry and put on the conditioner/mask (plenty).. comb it again to distribute the conditioner, put it in a pony tail / braids / whatever... and go to work! You can leave it there as much as you want, if you leave your hair down, it will get a bit hard or dry up (depends on the amount you use and brand).

Though if you are going to blow dry it or set it... re-wash your hair with shampoo & conditioner (as usual)..

Believe me, this method did wonders to many who I suggested this.. you'll see it yourself as well... Imagine your body needs a lot of water to drink... your hair needs as well ;)

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
to join in on the frizzy hair treatment conversation. I too, have naturally curly, thick frizzy hair. The best methods I found to tame it are: shampoo (only the scalp and let the water rinse it through the rest of the hair) condition and deep condition every 2-3 days. Apply gel/mousse while wet for natural curl (dry naturally and don't brush) or set w/ rollers overnight and brush out for smooth waves. A calming or smoothing cream does wonders for this hair type too.

Serenity, I swear by shine sprays too. They're great on day 2 or three of a wash when your hair needs a shine boost.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
leaette said:
shebagrl: really pretty curls! i like your hair color. i'm a blonde too but mine is a darker.
if you take a brush and brush out your curls, it will make pretty waves. you should try that too. you could have the veronica lake look. your hair is long enough.

pigeon toe said:
Shebagrl, your hair is gorgeous! Is it your natural color? It's such a pretty shade of blonde.

You ladies are just too much! Thanks for all the compliments...it's enough to make a girl blush :eek:

Leaette: Great idea about brushing it out to try out waves. I'm going to do just that! If it turns out, I'll post more pics. Thanks for the idea!

Pigeon: Thank you! I can assure you it's about the furthest thing from natural :) I have a dark dirty blonde naturally. This was an all-over bleach weave. After the stylist rinsed out the bleach weave, she did a bleach rinse all over to lift the color more evenly, with a little more time spent on the regrowth. From what I gather, it's a pretty easy process, if you want to have your stylist give 'er a try! Just give yourself a lot of time at the salon -- I was there for the longest time!

Johanna

One of the Regulars
SerenityAshes said:
Johanna - if you read this message, I just wanted to inform you that there are specific dyes for people who are allergic to the normal dye that is used in salons.. I've learnt this in my hairdressing course. So I am sure that if you check your local salon and tell her with your problem, they will help you. Though always make sure that they do an allergy test before putting the colour on you. Oh and P.S. You are lovely girl!!! :p

Thanks a lot for the information!

Josephine

One Too Many
SerenityAshes said:
I dont know! I would still opt for washing hair with a shampoo.. there are so many products nowadays that help combats the frizz that there's no need to wash your hair with conditioner only.. Imagine your body needs a lot of water to drink... your hair needs as well ;)

The reason why I wash with conditioner only is that shampoos strip the hair of natural oils, which then my scalp goes into double time to replace. In addition, most shampoos and conditioners have -cones (dimethicone, other silicones) in them that coats the hair shaft, making it shiny but preventing any moisture from entering the hair. Plus it masks damage, it's like a coat of varnish on the hair. Adding in all the product you use to combat the frizziness, to me it just seems overkill when you can CO. Yes, hair does need water like your body does, and mine gets it from the conditioners I use to wash it and the deep treatments I do every so often.

Now some people's hair like -cones, and do very well with them, mine and other's I know don't. We tried CO on my DD's hair and it did not work. She's 11 with stick straight hair, so it may have been her hair type or going into puberty. Other's mileage may vary, but I want other to at least know about just washing your hair with one third $1.10 bottle of V05 every five days instead of washing every day using a small fortune on shampoos, conditioners, and anti frizz serums. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes