Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Red your bangs look fab!

Short Clara, love your rolls, they are perfect on you!

Faythe and Pink, great job on the waves. I'll have to try those one of these days. Be sure you're puting in one clip scooting it slightly one way, then the next row the other way, ect.

Serenity thanks for the scans. They didn't have all that in our book. I've tried the waves with the iron years ago, but a small one. The larger barrel should do the trick!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Laura I think your hair looks devine, and perfectly vintage! I wouldn't even worry about the pins, they wore them then too! Are you using black ones? The net looks great, your hair is perfectly set in it! I think you looked like you just stepped off a movie set!
The nets are called snoods. I think that one is just fine, but by all means get you some more because you wear them well! I just bought a cream crocheted one this weekend at a reenactment.
Your bangs look good, no one's hair looked exactly like anyone else's back then, so just enjoy the process of each length as you grow it out.
Nikki

Front%201.jpg

Nape%201.jpg

Nape%202.jpg

Side.jpg

Side%202.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Laura I think your hair looks devine, and perfectly vintage! I wouldn't even worry about the pins, they wore them then too! Are you using black ones? The net looks great, your hair is perfectly set in it! I think you looked like you just stepped off a movie set!
The nets are called snoods. I think that one is just fine, but by all means get you some more because you wear them well! I just bought a cream crocheted one this weekend at a reenactment.
Your bangs look good, no one's hair looked exactly like anyone else's back then, so just enjoy the process of each length as you grow it out.
Nikki

Thank you, Nikki. I'm trying to work with this length as good as I can, it's a nice challenge, anyway. :) I really love hair nets, they are so practical! I have to get me a nice snood in a contrasting color, I think my mom can make one for me. I would love one with small pearls or beads in it...

I use brown pins, but I think black ones would suit my hair better. The problem is (and it's really a silly problem because you'd think they made decent bobby pins these days, but I guess Denmark is not so big on these), the only black ones I have found here in Copenhagen are the kind that is covered with a sort of black plastic coating that crumbles off so I get black crumbs on my neck and back... Therefore, I just bought the brown ones, they are metal that is colored dark so no coating. I am looking for some proper made black ones.

Where do you get your snoods? I had my hair done at Nina's Vintage Parlor in London and her assistant Julie makes beautiful snoods, but a bit pricey though. Her website is Retro l'Amour.

Serenity, you asked what they are called, and they are called snoods when they are very visible like mine. They are also called hair nets, here in Denmark anyway. There are several versions, some are practically invisible.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Laura that's a shame about the black bobby pins. Might be worth your while to order a box off of ebay or sallybeautysupply.
You can get snoods on ebay too, along with 40's patterns to make them.
Nikki

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Just playing around today, unfortunatly it was a bit windblown by the time I got home and decide to photo it. Anyway, not perfect by any means but I am getting closer to the look I want with this general type of thing now.

experhair.jpg

Dracca

One of the Regulars
ClaraB said:
Very nice Dracca :eusa_clap

Thanks so much Clara, I just realized I forgot to upload the front picture. I had some major layers in the back and am trying to grow out the front again. So, experimenting as it gets longer again.

hairfront.jpg

SerenityAshes

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:
I use brown pins, but I think black ones would suit my hair better. The problem is (and it's really a silly problem because you'd think they made decent bobby pins these days, but I guess Denmark is not so big on these), the only black ones I have found here in Copenhagen are the kind that is covered with a sort of black plastic coating that crumbles off so I get black crumbs on my neck and back... Therefore, I just bought the brown ones, they are metal that is colored dark so no coating. I am looking for some proper made black ones.

Where do you get your snoods? I had my hair done at Nina's Vintage Parlor in London and her assistant Julie makes beautiful snoods, but a bit pricey though. Her website is Retro l'Amour.

Serenity, you asked what they are called, and they are called snoods when they are very visible like mine. They are also called hair nets, here in Denmark anyway. There are several versions, some are practically invisible.

Thank you very much for the information, especially for the site... I'm checking it out while writing this note :p

• Can I ask you a silly question ladies? What difference there is (or is there any difference?) between a snood and a normal croshet beanie??

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Actually this post answers two question!

To Laura Chase, I get my snoods from an ebay seller called aine06, if you check back often she has loads of colours and they can be very reasonable.

And Serenity Ashes, if you look at the above seller's items, she does beanies and snoods and you can see the difference!

SerenityAshes

Familiar Face
Fluer you are my hero :)

The problem that I have is that I'm in an urgent need of a snood for this saturday.. I can't order one from ebay coz it wont arrive and in Malta it's almost impossible to find.

This saturday I have this private party between a bunch of friends and we have to wear a kind of costume. I decided to wear something from the World War II era, but as a zombie kind of thing.. not much heavy makeup though... like a deceased wife, my boyfriend will be wearing a deceased soldier :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have some hairnets from just the drugstore that I wear too. You can get invisible ones or slightly thicker. I have no idea if it's authentic (probably not) but it helps keep my hair all neat and page-boy ish when I have rolls in the front. Something like might be worn by elderly Maltese ladies and be possible to find??

SerenityAshes

Familiar Face
I should check out a drugstore just in case, though the one I managed to find up till now is a very thin one which isn't visible.. the one you have in the beginning of this thread Fleur, the red one, that's gorgeous!! Even with the roll looks amazing, I would go out like that definetly coz I love doing rolls a lot.. though I was gonna opt for a bit of fingerwaves for a more dramatic look lol

Have you ever heard that Maltese woman used to wear like this massive hat/veile called Ghonnella (the gh is silent so you read it Onnella')?

http://www.geocities.com/frans311/ghonnella.html

:) Just for your info.. I have no idea if somewhere else used to wear this "hat" coz even the name is only found in Maltese.. Have no idea how to translate it in English!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart