Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'll take Rosanne Cash as a compliment. Funny though my father and uncle could have been spitting images of Johnny back in the day. So there must be something to it.

I am so very jealous of the redheads on here. I tried the bright reds
(antje's!) and I just look a bit off - it must be my coloring - I tend to look yellow. Those reds are so cute and striking! The deeper reds like Josephine's look nice on me and I may go back to that eventually. (just dyed it dark black brown 2 days ago). Josephine - such a siren. I love the dark red/burgandy on you.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
I feel your pain there. My super straight hair rejects curls and falls flat usually by the end of the night. Hard rollers and setting lotion and some Excedrin PM usually do the trick for me. ;)

What is Excedrin PM? Josephine and Hillock, what beey-utiful hair you have!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I cut my hair very short, this is a cold set with sponge rollers. Came out great!

hair.jpg

hair1.jpg

I love this new cut on you Bella, it's so cute and really suits you to a T.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Still going strong with Hot Sticks

Not to be outdone by you lovely young ladies, I thought I'd post a picture of myself and show my hairdo done with Hot Sticks. Since my hair is very fine and thin and I don't like to sleep in curlers, this method works very well for me. I think I'm more of a 30s gal in hairstyling than 40s. I've been wearing my hair like this for some time and its almost 2nd nature to me to set.
DSCN1383.JPG

The secret I "discovered" was to comb out my hair with a wide tooth detangling comb.

Hubby (Harry Pierpont on the FL) and I attended a wedding this past weekend and we were dressed in our usual vintage-styled clothes. He wore a suit and fedora and I was in a nice dress, gloves, seamed stockings, etc. We've since learned that people were asking the bride, "Who are those sharp dressers?"
I guess 'class' never goes out of style and it helps one to age 'gracefully'.

Josephine

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
The deeper reds like Josephine's look nice on me and I may go back to that eventually. (just dyed it dark black brown 2 days ago). Josephine - such a siren. I love the dark red/burgandy on you.

Thank you! Today was a rough day and that makes me feel all fuzzy inside. :) I use henna which I like as it combines with your own color to make something unique to you.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Josephine, your cut looks FAB on you! This is the exact cut I've been toying with for months. You're really inspiring me to go ahead and do it. Like you, I just don't know if I'm ready to loose the length. But I also know my natural curl will fluff back up.
Hmm, perhaps next week!

Welcome to all the new ladies! Some great hair going on here girls, keep up the great work!

I see some of you have just mastered rolls, WOOHOO! :eusa_clap
Nikki

Snookie

Practically Family
BonnieJean said:
Not to be outdone by you lovely young ladies, I thought I'd post a picture of myself and show my hairdo done with Hot Sticks. Since my hair is very fine and thin and I don't like to sleep in curlers, this method works very well for me. I think I'm more of a 30s gal in hairstyling than 40s. I've been wearing my hair like this for some time and its almost 2nd nature to me to set.
DSCN1383.JPG

The secret I "discovered" was to comb out my hair with a wide tooth detangling comb.

Hubby (Harry Pierpont on the FL) and I attended a wedding this past weekend and we were dressed in our usual vintage-styled clothes. He wore a suit and fedora and I was in a nice dress, gloves, seamed stockings, etc. We've since learned that people were asking the bride, "Who are those sharp dressers?"
I guess 'class' never goes out of style and it helps one to age 'gracefully'.

Love it, BonnieJean! And those starlet pics behind you are just too cute!

Can I ask, how do you set the very front so that it gets that nice wave? Do you have the roller facing forward or sideways (perpendicular or parallel to your nose)? Do you have bangs? How long? If you can't tell, I struggle to get such a wave!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Snookie said:
Love it, BonnieJean! And those starlet pics behind you are just too cute!

Can I ask, how do you set the very front so that it gets that nice wave? Do you have the roller facing forward or sideways (perpendicular or parallel to your nose)? Do you have bangs? How long? If you can't tell, I struggle to get such a wave!

Snookie,
Those are just pics I grabbed off the net and printed out on card stock and just stuck up on the doors of my armoir/vanity. They're great for inspiration!

Yes, I do have bangs, kind of long-ish ones--they're down to my nose. I always roll my bangs downward toward my nose and its mostly parallel to it. (Its not an exact science when I roll my hair.) Sometimes I won't even part my hair and just grab the bangs and roll it. For a little more lift I'll set the curlers like I'm going to part it on the opposite of what I want and then I'll part it afterwards on my regular side. (I also have a darn cowlick!) There isn't any magic, its just how my hair goes. But I remember I had to practice a bit before I got the curl to do what I want. I think the key to getting those curls is layers and not having your hair all one length. The hair in the back is getting kind of long and the curl sometimes falls out at the bottom. So its probably time for a trim there. That's the only place my hair grows fast. The rest grows very slowly.

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Every ones hair looks so good! in still learning how to do pin curls so i hope some day mine will look as good as every one on here, maybe some one can answer this question for me....does you hair look a lot different when you use hot sticks VS. pin curls, if any one has any pictures of the difference in the two i would love to see.

Hillocks

New in Town
Well I tried another one.
Since my hair is a bit to short in the front I take a piece of hair, put the end together with elestic and than roll it op to create a roll. This one turned out much better then the previous one!

sorry for the lousy pic. but well webcam-quality [huh]

Bonnie I just love your hair! All those curls!
I have to admitt I have the 1940s hair book but can't really figure out the pincurls yet..

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Hot Sticks are the easy way to get that pin curl look. I learned about it on the Fedora Lounge. But there are many other gals here that are very adept with "real" pin curls. (Look back through this thread.)

I think it all depends on your hair type, the amount of time you want to spend on your hair, etc. Its about finding your own *style*.
Whether it's a 40s hairdo or 30s or whatever decade you prefer. The most important thing is to have fun, and practice, practice, practice. Modern women are used to the wash-and-go type of hairstyles and the hairdos of the Golden Era take a little more time. And it always takes a little more time when you're learning something new. Pretty soon it will become second nature to you!

I loved to play "dress up" when I was little, now I can do that every day if I want!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
DSCN1383.JPG

You look just fantastic BonnieJean, your hair looks really elegant and is a really beautiful warm shade. You're definitely not being outdone by any of the other ladies here!:eusa_clap

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Fantastic hair ladies!!! Oh I wish I had more time to just try around!!! But it´s just impossible right now *sigh*

I posted a little video on how I set my hair with rollers for the hairdo I wore on my Pin up Shooting Making of and thought I might as well share it here, too.

If you wanna see more views of the hair-do you can just check out the "Pin up Shooting Making of" on my youtube channel :) I hope you´ll enjoy it and might even get some use out of it. I plan to do more how tos, but as I just started a new job I don´t have that much energy right now...

Anyway the next day I was basically just brushing the hair out and adjusted the rolls on my head with pins. I was going for a sort of "casual look" that goes with most outfits I planned to use and wouldn´t be too "strict" for a mainstream-audience.

Here´s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtoVEI4LUJ0

Hillocks

New in Town
Bonnie Jean, thanks for the advice!
I hope to try the pincurls soon. Or the Hot sticks. But got to find those first..
I practiced alott with a rat in the back for when I'm wearing my uniform. So I know how long some things can take.. But masterd it a year ago! (after 2 years of hard trying)
But practise is indeed the only way to master it! When I tried the hot sticks or pincurls I will post the result.

And Sari, that's a great video! Would like to try that one aswell.

So many things to try, so little time..

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sari thanks for sharing your video! It was so fun to "hear" you from across the miles. I enjoyed your pinup shooting video as well, tho I don't know what y'all are saying, lol!
Gorgeous pics!!!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok girls, I always talk about the clip on fake pony that I do updo's with but never get any *good* pics, so here ya go!
Even tho my hair is very long, I don't wanna spend forevah on it! I can do this do in about 10 mins.
The front rolls are all that is mine,
Nikki

1828447399_2da78d814b.jpg

You can barely see some of dark pink hair from Pink Hair for Hope in the large front roll, lol..
1829262424_6b4e6aa539.jpg

1828435013_c12a7e7319.jpg

Oh, and here's the pink hair,
1573220610_11a318b721.jpg

1574476452_bd52ce8569_m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany