Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
First "Ginger-do" attempt...

Ok...so....nervous drumroll...I attempted the Ginger hair style...this is the pic of what I was trying to recreate...

ginger3.jpg

So here's what it looks like...sorry for the sketchy bathroom photos at work...LOL it has the best lighting and big mirrors! :eek:

gingerhair1.jpg

gingerhair3.jpg

and here is a top of the head glance at my attempt to do a finger wave...

gingerhair2.jpg

It doesn't have as much volume as Ginger's...she either has thicker hair than me, or more layers. I got my hair cut recently into a "modified middy" not so many layers so that it would look good when I wear my hair casual and straight...anyway...any suggestions for improvement?

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
These are for the ladies who asked to see my set. I'm using my new Mervin clips, but since I only have 2, you can see the regular clips on my left side.

Kamikat: your set looks great! I loved the finished look too - I have a bunch of these clips actually, along with these:

http://www.taste-t-vintage.com/hairdo/hair159.htm

So, I am going to try them out and see which ones work best!

Was there a major difference in appearance between the one clip over the other?

Mary

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
crwritt said:
I just saw a set of 7 on ebay for $170. How much did they cost back when?
They can't have been that rare.

If you feel like being patient, buy only a few at a time - I've seen them go really cheap (like $10 for two kind of cheap) because there has only been one or two in an auction. You can slowly build up a collection. That is what I did anyway, but it took me over 6 months to have a complete set!

The more you find in a collection (like 6 or 7) the more money it will go for, because everybody wants them.

FaintlyMacabre

MaryMary said:
It doesn't have as much volume as Ginger's...she either has thicker hair than me, or more layers. I got my hair cut recently into a "modified middy" not so many layers so that it would look good when I wear my hair casual and straight...anyway...any suggestions for improvement?

Mary, that wave is gorgeous. You def have that down and I'd love to know how you did it! The only thing I could think of to make it more Ginger-y would be a deeper side part and a bigger chunk of hair from the heavy side, too. Might help with the volume and it would take that awesome wave go clear across your head like hers in the photo. (maybe?) But you def got that wave down and great side/back fkuff!

FaintlyMacabre

kamikat said:
The thinner clips are still being made today, but don't do all the work. You still need to form the wave, then attach the clip to the wave. The wider clips are very old. I got them on eBay for a ridiculous price. I've been searching eBay for nearly a year for them. $65 is not unheard of for them.
Ack! And now there's several of us who will be searching for them! I'll be scouring ebay, craigslist and thrift shops for them. But in the meantime I will buy some of the cheaper easier to find wave clips.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
MaryMary said:

Kamikat: your set looks great! I loved the finished look too - I have a bunch of these clips actually, along with these:

http://www.taste-t-vintage.com/hairdo/hair159.htm

So, I am going to try them out and see which ones work best!

Was there a major difference in appearance between the one clip over the other?

Mary
Oooo, I've never seen those clips before. What I have noticed between the Mervin clips and the "fingerwave clips" (is there another term for them?) is that the Mervin clip waves are smaller, so I can fit a full 3 waves on my part side. The manual fingerwaves plus the wave clips gives a larger wave, but the ridge is more defined. I like both, however, the manual waves with wave clips last longer, 3 days vs 2 with the Mervin clips. I get a lot more comments on my 'do with the Mervin clips, but the other clips tend to look more natural on day 2/3 and can be worn with jeans and a tee shirt without looking out of place.

crwritt

One Too Many
28680_1120250383493_1744062716_221902_7261975_s.jpg

I just got back from the hairdresser's. She did a great job, managed to help me lose that lingering
inch or so of old dyed hair, and worked with my natural curls.

FaintlyMacabre

adiscountbeauty.com

If anyone is thinking about ordering from this site -
I have ordered form them before and would do so again. They had a great selection of hair bobs and had all the ones that I wanted - gotta love one-stop-shopping. They were a little weak in the communication department but they were super nice and very helpful when I phoned them for answers.
*I hadn't gotten any email response to tell me if my stuff had been shipped. So I called them, they said they had called me and "left a message" to tell me that part of my order was on back order and did I want to split the order or wait till they had everything. I got no msg and they could have emailed me to let me know. But, like I said, they were really nice on the phone and took care of the order promptly once we were in touch.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
The thinner clips are still being made today, but don't do all the work. You still need to form the wave, then attach the clip to the wave. The wider clips are very old. I got them on eBay for a ridiculous price. I've been searching eBay for nearly a year for them. $65 is not unheard of for them.
I just won one along with a bunch of metal rollers, old pin curl bobbi pins, a few marcel clamps and some plastic roller I don't care for. :D

FaintlyMacabre

deadpandiva said:
I just won one along with a bunch of metal rollers, old pin curl bobbi pins, a few marcel clamps and some plastic roller I don't care for. :D
What's a "marcel clamp"? Different than the "marcel clip" that Kamikat is using?

Antje

One Too Many
Well finally a new pic of me.

I was a little inspired with Audrey Hepburn
I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's yesterday and here is my do today!

Don't mind my not nude face and my ugly, I'm so cold vest

2ylv1xi.jpg

29ojzpg.jpg

xfcocg.jpg

ZoetteVDT

New in Town
Posting Photos

I'm new, so this might sound incredibly stupid, but how do you post your photo on here? so proud of my hair today for once and wanted to show you all to see what you think, but I'm not sure how!

FaintlyMacabre

ZoetteVDT said:
I'm new, so this might sound incredibly stupid, but how do you post your photo on here? so proud of my hair today for once and wanted to show you all to see what you think, but I'm not sure how!

I had the same question a few posts back. From what I understand, you have to have the photo posted elswhere first - a photo sharing site, such as Flikr or Photobucket. I opened a Photobucket acct just so I could post pics here.

Once they are posted there you can embed (or copy and paste) the code into your post here. And then you'll have your picture.

If anyone knows another way to do this, I hope they'll share.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Antje said:
Well finally a new pic of me.

I was a little inspired with Audrey Hepburn
I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's yesterday and here is my do today!

Don't mind my not nude face and my ugly, I'm so cold vest

2ylv1xi.jpg

29ojzpg.jpg

xfcocg.jpg

Love love love it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou