Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
deadpandiva said:
Black Dahlia- I like your victory roles but I think your natural curls are beautiful.

Thank you deadpandiva! And, I must say the hair and clothes of the ladies in your pic are amazing...I assume one is you. Wonderful style!

Cheers,
X
BD

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
Black Dahlia said:
01%200162sm.jpg

I love your natural hair, I wish I had natural curls. My hair is straight as a poker and very difficult to style.

Smuterella

One Too Many
swinggal said:
Thanks DPD. It's the water wavers! I have had them for 8 years and never knew how to use them. But now that I do it's made things so simple!

I don't suppose you would be able to share the instructions (if they are already on here somewhere I can't find them...sorry). I'd love to give it a try myself.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I have ridiculously straight curl-resistant hair and a long face. As much as I love curls on other people, they're not going to happen for me. Same with victory rolls...even if the roll comes out well, it just doesn't work with my face shape. My brilliant friend Bettie found a vintage-flavored style that will work for me without fighting my hair's natural straightness too much and without elongating my face. I'm also competely inept when it comes to styling hair, so the fact that this is easy rules.

hair.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
swinggal said:
From my adventures in LA and on the Queen Mary. Best wingerwaves EVER! All done with Lottabody and my vintage 'Water Wavers' in about an hour.

31512_394004871575_717536575_4647564_3625710_n.jpg

Hi Smutterella,

These are almost the same as the water waver combs I use. I have rarely seen them anywhere but I found a pic here:

hair212.jpg

They curve to shape of your head and I use bobby pins to hold them in place.

1. So, what I do is part my dry hair on the side as I normally would and dampen it with Lottabody setting lotion. You could use mouse I guess or any other setting lotion - even hair spray, as long as it's damp.

2. Start from the part on the long side, smooth the hair flat then take comb and push it into the hair - pushing the hair into an arch (or wave). You can see this clearly in my pic. Then I use pins to hold the comb flat and in place. It's important the the comb is held flat to the skull. Spray with hair spray.

3. Repeat with the rest of the combs. I usually do 4 on one side now and 2 or 3 on the shorter side then curl the back. Once everything is in i sit with a blowdryer and dry the hair completely. The hair should only be damp when you style it so it can be dried.

4. When the hair is dry I pull the combs out and the waves are usually pretty much set, with just a few adjustments and pins to hold them firm. Sometimes I dont even need pins at all and I just spray them. What I like about these combs and my system is that the waves are smooth, rounded and soft unlike clipping them which can clip them a flatter sharp ridge.

5. Spray waves with a strong hairspray and pin your rolls in the back as you like once out of the rollers.

This usually takes about an hour as the hair is not wet, but damp. The waves have lasted 2 days for me using this one hour method so i can imagine ho long they would last if I set them overnight :)

Hope this helps. now you have to find some water wavers ;) Now here are some disgusting pictures of me.

hair1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0298.jpg
[/IMG]

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mrs Beattie said:
I love your natural hair, I wish I had natural curls. My hair is straight as a poker and very difficult to style.

Thank you Mrs. Beattie. I use to have straight hair..then wham when I hit 30..a mass of curls! I always preferred my hair straight, so battled it. Finally gave up. Funny how one always wants the opposite, straight wants curly, curly wants straight! ;0

swinggal

One Too Many
bellabella327 said:
SwingGal, I really LOVE that "tutorial" or achieving water waves.

Thanks all. It's basically what I found in an old book re using the water wavers. Revamp have another explanation but its a lot more complex and this does job too. Amazing to think I had them for 8 years and had no idea how to use them until about 6 months ago.

I have all sorts of 'waving clips' like the metal clamp ones that everyone uses and some others similar to the 'Mervin wave clips' (the really complex torture device looking ones) but none give a smooth wave like you see in old movies and photos. The metal clips tent to give a sharp point to the wave, which i don't like.

The really complex 'Mervin clips' give a lovely wave too but I am still trying to find some to buy!!

hair117t.jpg

but apart from wet setting by a professional hairdresser combing the waves or the water wavers I haven't been able to achieve a smooth, rounded wave before.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
My hair currently, naturally curly.
01%200162sm.jpg

^^ Black Dahlia, i absolutely LOVE this pic! your hair looks beautiful, if i didn't have a massive double chin i would definitely cut my hair to that length.

just to add it has taken me ages to type this, i can't seem to spell today!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Jasmine Jolene said:
^^ Black Dahlia, i absolutely LOVE this pic! your hair looks beautiful, if i didn't have a massive double chin i would definitely cut my hair to that length.

just to add it has taken me ages to type this, i can't seem to spell today!

Jasmine, thank you for that! ;) Massive double chin, doubtful hun! Actually, I find that shorter hair makes the double chin less apparent (one me anyhow)! *lol* I'm thinking of getting the back trimmed, it looks a little shaggy!

X
BD

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Antje, your hair color is stunning, too - I wish I could get mine that red!

I love seeing all the different pictures here....gives me all kinds of ideas.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Scarlet Belle said:
Have you ever tried to do them with a triple barrel tong?

I have and I think those things suck. For one, they make the curl go the wrong direction - curls made with tongs go away/toward your scalp. Finger waves tend to lay flatter and I find that tongs just can't give that lovely kind of S wave. Every time I tried the tongs I ended up looking like I was straight out of the 80s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou