Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Combatting the Greaseballs

Hey Tatum,
No problem. Yours is a good problem to have. You're sure to age slower than those of us with dry skin and scalps. I don't know how often you shampoo, if you're where you want to be with frequency or just don't like the look on day 2 or 3 etc. If its' frequency, it's proven hair and skin can be "trained" to stop producing as much sebum. Even those with the oiliest hair can get up to twice a week. If you don't like the look or feel on non poo days, try pushing your scalp to more days really than you need. So if you wash every other day, push to get your scalp used to every three or four days. We always tell people to do a model look, spritz hair with water,add gel, do a deep side part/ponytail . Like you're going for the wet look. Within a month you're hair will stop producing so much sebum. Of course that may still be too much. Yours is the perfect head for color to improve managability(sp?) Avoid brushing your hair as much as possible. This is true of everyone, should only be brushed for styling and prior to washing to loosen dead skin and oil. Even then lightly with a natural bristle brush. Also you want to use gently products with as close to hair's ph as you can. You want an effective yet gentle shampoo. Use a moisturizing shampoo and your hair will be weighed down. If you use a clarifying or deep cleansing (alkaline) shampoo and your scalp will react strongly producing sebum to protect itself=.Pureology is great though pricey. Believe it or not Garnier products are very close in ph to hair. Dove products as well. Most large companys should have the ph available on their website. If not you could buy litmus papers and test yourself. Keep in mind, the water will raise the ph of the products when washing. You could even just adjust the ph of shampoos by adding a few drops of lemon or lime juice. Or just do an apple cider vinegar rinse following your shampoo. It really does work. You may find you don't even need an instant conditioner. If you do apply a minimal amount to ends only. Hope I helped, let me know.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
This is me... today...
5076850164_58f85c9b8e_z.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
Lolita, pretty! I have always envied your color...

dmoran, thanks! I will try all of the above and let you know. Darnit, I thought clarifying shampoo was the best.... Usually it is the "too greasy the day I will wash it (that night)" issue. I will try the Garnier products, I always did like them. And I shampoo (most of the time) on Wednesday or Thursday nights and then Sunday or Monday night.

To quote a post, go to the relevant post and look for the "quote" button. It's on the bottom right :)

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Lolita, pretty! I have always envied your color...

dmoran, thanks! I will try all of the above and let you know. Darnit, I thought clarifying shampoo was the best.... Usually it is the "too greasy the day I will wash it (that night)" issue. I will try the Garnier products, I always did like them. And I shampoo (most of the time) on Wednesday or Thursday nights and then Sunday or Monday night.

To quote a post, go to the relevant post and look for the "quote" button. It's on the bottom right :)

thank you very much, I appreciate your kindness. I know what you mean, I wash once a week but day before is sometimes bad. I just can't train any further because I need to do it on the weekend. It could work for you, though push it to 5 days for a few weeks. You've got a lovely color, suits you well. Lolita Haze, you do too. Platinum is not an easy color but you are wearing it! I just don't have the creamy skin needed to pull it off.

alexthegirl

New in Town
Alright I have been reading this thread in particular forever because I am fascinated by the vintage hairstyles and makeup looks - Here is my proudest creation as of yet!

I didn't take pics during, only the end result, but here is kind of how I did it:

I have long thick/rough textured hair but I think you could do this with any hair, really. The nice thing about it being long is it makes it easier to get volume, but as you all know, there are lots of little tricks for making hair big.

I parted the front section and divided it off (bangs down to top of the ear). I also divided the section on the other side to the top of the ear to in back later. I then divided a section on the top which would later become the "smoothed" hair that would cover the bump. Make sure this area is thick enough and wide enough to cover a large area or you will have spots that show through your bump.

That leaves me with one last section in the back. To get height here, you could use bump=its, hair rats, teasing, etc.. however what I did was to make two ponytails, one on top of the other one, and loop them under and pin them so they aren't floppy. The ponytail gives volume as well as the hair pinned over it, and two ponies makes sure your look will be "rounded". So after that, I lightly teased and sprayed the "smooth" section and draped it over the ponies/buns and pinned underneath. Don't worry about the ends right now. Make sure you have all the areas covered well.

Remember on the bags side you have portion of hair clipped? Take about half of that (so it is the same amount of hair as on the other side) and clip the bangs back to work with later. So now you should have two sections of hair, one above each ear. You will use these to help cover the clip in back. Take one section and wrap it around a curling iron so you have the curl formed. Then pull it back and pin it under the bump to conceal the pins back there. Do the same for the other side. Then you can do one more curl from the ends sticking out from the smooth section if you have any. So now you are left with your bangs, which you can do however you are used to! I have a lot of bangs, so I did two curls in front. I always tease a bit but I didn't as much as I'd have liked to here.

I LOVED it! My inspiration was Jane on Mad Men.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ndtGLdqEAUWi4lF3sSz1Qw?feat=directlink
ndtGLdqEAUWi4lF3sSz1Qw

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dm5Bkr9bcZaxKvWEbrf89Q?feat=directlink
Dm5Bkr9bcZaxKvWEbrf89Q

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qYb3eFu0UzWbA2OmiE5gVw?feat=directlink
qYb3eFu0UzWbA2OmiE5gVw

PS - I'd welcome tips on haircolor suggestions as I am getting bored, lol.

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
I posted these in the middy thread too, but this was me last night. I was hopped up on pain pills so please excuse the expression and the flash. LOL

Photoon2010-10-13at0723.jpg

Photoon2010-10-13at0708.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
Does Picasa not work to embed photos on this forum? My albums are public. Maybe it is because I'm new?

phone%20153.jpg
phone%20152.jpg

phone%20151.jpg

Here they are!
Just right click on the image, select copy image location, come to the reply box and click on the box with the little tree, delete the http/: line then control v.

I love how the back of your hair looks! A friend of my mother"s wore her hair that way in the 60's. , I always thought she was so glamorous!

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That does it. I'm hopping on a plane to Houston! With a vintage valise full of painkillers! (Just kidding, of course. I don't have any painkillers.)

You look lovely.

:)

Tatum

Practically Family
alexthegirl, adorable!

Kamikat, yay for putting your hair up again! You look so gorgeous as always.

Lenore, I love the cut and style. So flattering! How did you get those great curls around your face?

dmoran, thanks for the compliment! Lolita makes me want to go lighter, but I promised the hubby I'd stay natural, so no bleach for me. Thank goodness I get sun streaks!

Lenore

Practically Family
Tatum, I have a middy cut that allows the curls to sit on top of each other rather than beside each other. This was just a pincurl set, rolled under, with the curls about 1 inch in diameter. I wasn't being tooo specific though. Check out The Middy Thread here on the lounge and it'll go into some more detail about the cut and why it does what it does. :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Tatum, I have a middy cut that allows the curls to sit on top of each other rather than beside each other. This was just a pincurl set, rolled under, with the curls about 1 inch in diameter. I wasn't being tooo specific though. Check out The Middy Thread here on the lounge and it'll go into some more detail about the cut and why it does what it does. :)

Lenore, I have a long middy cut... I meant to reply to your post in the middy thread, but thought appropriate here too :)

Those curls are just perfect. Thanks for sharing how you set it! Did you use standing pincurls or flat?

Lenore

Practically Family
Lenore, I have a long middy cut... I meant to reply to your post in the middy thread, but thought appropriate here too :)

Those curls are just perfect. Thanks for sharing how you set it! Did you use standing pincurls or flat?

:) Sorry about that. I'm a bit on autopilot these days. I used flat pincurls, and actually ended up keeping the set in over 24 hours as my social engagement was canceled due to my bum tooth. To form the curls I actually used my curling iron to keep my curls uniform and the pinned the curl after I curled it. (Wow, that sentence was convoluted, wasn't it!) Truth is I tried to make it seem as complicated as possible to get my mind off my tooth pain. Realistically, it wasn't all that complicated and I ended up with a great set.

Rachell

New in Town
Please do pardon the less-than admirable quality of the photo, as it was taken quickly using my webcam through a website that snaps photographs and allows you to save them.
69869_1656677383833_1444075132_31753997_5815278_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael