Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Antje

One Too Many
Just a simple double rolls do. However, the detachable bow from Arthelia's Attic's snoods makes a perfect alternative to a hair flower. You can find Arthelia's Attic and her snoods on etsy!

29b.jpg
31b.jpg
DSCN3117b.jpg

Stunning as usual!

Heather

Practically Family
I set my hair between every 5 and 7 days, and I have this issue too. I find it's bearable, but I think if the itching is bad enough to distract you then you probably ought to sacrifice a day or two of your set. Are you using a good cleansing shampoo to really get rid of all the buildup when you wash?

Thanks so much for the response! It's bearable but I guess I wasn't sure if it was part of the territory, if you know what I mean. Yeah, I do the whole "rinse & repeat" on my wash days. Thanks again!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Thanks so much for the response! It's bearable but I guess I wasn't sure if it was part of the territory, if you know what I mean. Yeah, I do the whole "rinse & repeat" on my wash days. Thanks again!

You're welcome! :) I think it is par for the course, pretty much. I'm not sure if your hair eventually settles down- I don't know what your previous routine was, but before I started setting I washed my hair every day without fail. I gradually stretched it out to every three days, then every 5 or 6 days, now I try and make it a week. Perhaps my hair's so used to a life of daily washing that it's still accomodating my new routine, I don't know.

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
So this was my attempt at a 30's set a la Anna Neagle:

anna%20neagle.jpg

20110409---hair_set.jpg

20110409---hair_set_02.jpg

20110409---hair_set_03.jpg

gratuitous pic!:
20110409---30s_morning_03_2.jpg

I definitely have way too much hair, especially in the back. I think I need some layers myself! I'm scared to cut them though!

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
New haircut, first set

I recently had my hair cut from almost waist length to just at my shoulders. I ended up with 5 inches off (yay!), a long layer in the back, and graduated layers at the front up to a lip-length fringe.

Here's how it looked after my first successful set - damp set, Lottabody, orange and yellow foam rollers:

5608712006_8c558970c2_z.jpg

I'm working toward a late 20s- early/mid-30s look eventually.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
I'm loving all these 20s/30s do's :eusa_clap Lolitahaze, I would also like to know how you keep your hair looking so soft and in good condition. When I bleached my hair to go bright red it was in terrible condition, and I have vaguely considered bleaching it again to try blonde (but am scared to take the plunge in case it looks ridiculous on me)... If I had some tips to keep it nice then I might be more tempted.

Tifa

Familiar Face
Lolitahaze - Just love your hair, looks soft and lovely!!
LittleMissToniJo - Beautiful indeed!
MariantheLibrarian - That's brave to cut so much of, really suits you! I'm thinking of getting that length myself!

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
I'm loving all these 20s/30s do's :eusa_clap Lolitahaze, I would also like to know how you keep your hair looking so soft and in good condition. When I bleached my hair to go bright red it was in terrible condition, and I have vaguely considered bleaching it again to try blonde (but am scared to take the plunge in case it looks ridiculous on me)... If I had some tips to keep it nice then I might be more tempted.

LolitaHaze - I reaaaaaally love it. It's so beautiful, you remind me a lot of Ginger Rogers!
Tifa - THANK YOU! :D
MariantheLibrarian - WOW so I am going for the same style as you, but I'm definitely not there yet! When people refer to foam roller colors, what does that mean? The ones I get from Sally Beauty Supply in the US are all black regardless of the size. I think I have 5/8" and 3/4" ones... they're both SO small i may need to size up

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Heather... Thank you kindly!

DPD... Thanks! It's still not as white as I want it, but it's getting there. :)

Nancy Louise... I don't really do anything special. My hair is actually in worse condition than it looks. It's about 1/2 as thick as normal thanks to brakage from the bleaching. Since I have been doing it myself, I have been over lapping more than I should. Also my roots are usually yellow (in comparison) because I have a severe bleach allergy if it is left on too long, so timing is something I have to watch carefully.

As far as cleansing, I started using LUSH's Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze ($22) as both a hair treatment and a conditioner/mix with other LUSH conditioners. I haven't done the treatment for nearly 2 month's though. I shampoo with LUSH's Curly Wurly ($22) and condition with a mixture of LUSH's American Cream ($29), LUSH's Retread($25), and a small amount of Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze. It's definitely pricey, but for me I love it. I can usually stretch that haircare system 3 months. Still a bit, but worth it for me. My hair is in much better condition. Now just recently, say the last month, I have been using Lollia's Shampoo and Conditioner in Grenadine and Tonic and Mint Julep. These are also a bit pricey at $8 a tube and I got about 2-3 uses from each tube. I've noticed my hair is silkier and shinier than before!

Also I use very little hair spray if I even do. I rarely rarely rarely use a curling iron. I don't blow dry my hair, exactly, I use my bonnet dryer and that is only when I need to set my hair. I normally air dry my hair.

Keep in mind if you are looking into LUSH's haircare, each product is hair type specific, so the ones I use may be too heavy for you. I use the heaviest of their haircare. Hope this helps a bit. :D

Berlin... Thank you. I was actually thinking of you when I was styling it! That is not meant to sound as creepy as it does. LOL

Frenchy56... No middy. Normally it is all one length, but a few months ago I got mad about something (can't even remember what it was) and thought I could give myself a middy. So on the sides of my face about ear level I cut about 2 inches in to "layer". Needless to say, I FAILED! It's grown out a bit, but it is still giving me styling problems. :(

Isis... Thanks!

Juliet... Thank you very much.

Antje... Thank you xoxoxo

LinaSofia... Thank you. I did my "longer look" set. Normally when I set my hair it looks about 3 inches shorter. :)

Rocket Blast... I thought I didn't do anything special, but looking at what I wrote above it seems like I do more than I thought. Rather I use "special" products.

Tifa... Thank you. LUSH haircare all the way!

LMToniJo... Awww Thank you! You are trying to get on my good side now, aren't you?? Hehehehe :-D

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
MariantheLibrarian - When people refer to foam roller colors, what does that mean? The ones I get from Sally Beauty Supply in the US are all black regardless of the size.

I get mine from Target in multi-colored sets. The colors correspond to the diameter of the roller; my set runs from pink (1.25") to blue (5/8"). So I use orange - one size down from the pink - on the front and yellow - one size up from the blue- on the back.

Some sets have the colors arranged differently, but they usually have the same size range.

Last edited:

BoPeep

Practically Family
Wow, I stepped away from this thread for too long! Gorgeous curls abound! LittleMissToniJo, your style tempts me to cut mine a just a bit shorter (how great would it be to get it off my neck for summer?) but Lolita's inspiring just the opposite! Better just stick to "me." :)

Juliet

A-List Customer
LittleMissToniJo

Oh, you look so lovely! Also, your lipstick suits you to perfection! And you have a cat, right? :)

MariantheLibrarian
I'll bet you'll look amazing with waves!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
BoPeep... I have the same head spin! So many girls make me want to cute my hair and then I see long locks that make me scream HURRY UP AND GROW!

BellaBella... Sure! I use Wella Wellite on scalp powder lightener. I use this because my natural hair is nearly black, so the closer I get to the roots the better. Salon Care Proffessional extra lift 30 volume creme. I also use 40. People have told me that the 20 or 10 vol is better for my hair, but I bought big bottles of these volumes so I am just using them up for now. Wella color charm extra mild toner in White Lady. I am still searching for the perfect toner. A never ending hunt. And last but not least the key product to get really light hair, Roux Fanci-Full color rinse in 49 Ultra White Minx. This was recommended to me on another board, but I think the gal is also on here now. *I think*.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
Thanks Lolita! Your hair always looks so amazing! Can I ask, with the toner do you apply it to the mixture (bleach and developer) or after? I recently bleached mine and am fighting to get it platinum! I have some straw-like tones and platinum near the roots, and now the dark roots coming in, eek! I have the Shimmer Lights which I can only leave on for like 5-10 seconds or the white parts have a very distinctive violet hue! Maybe adding toner to the straw-like parts and only at the roots would help.

Last edited:

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Lolita-

I noticed you said you're not as white as you want on your hair and that you have some breakage. Now I don't bleach my hair anymore (And I'm not a hairdresser by any means) but when I did I used Chi Blondest Blonde with 20 vol developer (same brand) and my hair went white with just the 20 vol. The stuff is amazing I can't sing it's praises enough really.
It's a little expensive and a professional brand so you have to find it on ebay or on the net somwhere...I've bought mine here:http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/store/products/CHI-Blondest-Blonde-Ionic-Creme-Lightener-8oz..html

here's the developer:
http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/store/products/CHI-Color-Generator-and-Developer-20-Volume-32oz.html

It takes a little while to get in but like I said it's worth it. I never had luck getting white hair with anything from Sally's and this stuff was just awesome. You may still need a toner (my natural hair is light brown so I didn't really). Anyway just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone wanted to give it a try. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy