Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Juliet, Bo Peep, TheRedSquare, thank you so much! :) Yes, I do sleep in the rollers, and I'm really liking how quick and easy they are and I seem to get really good results that really last. yippee!

thedanu

Familiar Face
I've still only started reading this thread, and I obviously have a LOT of reading to do :)
My hair is long to my waist with short bangs, which is probably not the easiest to work with (plus I don't dye it nor use the hairdrier, so it's very healthy and often refuses to stay where I try to make it stay :p)

I did this today for wearing the hat, so I tried to keep most of the hair down. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't use any hair products (not even hairspray). I should probably next time use something to make it look less messy.
Does anybody have some examples of any 30s/40s hairstyle I would be able to make with bangs? Thank you very much <3

P7288159.JPG

P7288163.JPG

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Does anybody have some examples of any 30s/40s hairstyle I would be able to make with bangs? Thank you very much <3

I don't have pictures, but I have short bangs, and the most 'authentic' 40s look I do is having two victory rolls with a scarf/snood/roll in the back. I know there are pictures a few pages back of someone wearing this style (without bangs though I think). I always roll or pincurl my bangs so that they curl under, too. Doing a roll at the back might be a bit of work with your hair length but you look pretty nifty in your picture! What I like about using a scarf or snood to cover the back is not only is it an easy wayto look period-appropriate, it doesn't matter what state your hair's in underneath, so it's perfect for dealing with greasy hair/a failed set!

Beautiful hat btw! :)

thedanu

Familiar Face
I don't have pictures, but I have short bangs, and the most 'authentic' 40s look I do is having two victory rolls with a scarf/snood/roll in the back. I know there are pictures a few pages back of someone wearing this style (without bangs though I think). I always roll or pincurl my bangs so that they curl under, too. Doing a roll at the back might be a bit of work with your hair length but you look pretty nifty in your picture! What I like about using a scarf or snood to cover the back is not only is it an easy wayto look period-appropriate, it doesn't matter what state your hair's in underneath, so it's perfect for dealing with greasy hair/a failed set!

Beautiful hat btw! :)

Thank you very much for the advise! I have a photoshoot tomorrow and I think I'll try making a pair of victory rolls, let's see how it goes... :)
I found the hat in an open air flea market a couple of weeks ago, it was a lucky day :-D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Bette Davis frequently had bangs.
4712255121_4a0333a3d8.jpg

So did Joan Blondell
4429101629_cf87eb8939.jpg

and Claudette Colbert
4134201123_f5ab9b9307.jpg

A frequently seen way to deal with long hair in the 30's is to fingerwave the front, then braid the hair and pin into what I call Heidi braids. I've also seen lots of buns at the nape of the neck, with fingerwaves in front.

thedanu

Familiar Face
Bette Davis frequently had bangs.

A frequently seen way to deal with long hair in the 30's is to fingerwave the front, then braid the hair and pin into what I call Heidi braids. I've also seen lots of buns at the nape of the neck, with fingerwaves in front.

thank you so much! <3
I definitely have to practice these and those from the collage :-D

HepKitty

One Too Many
excellent stuff Kamikat!

also, check youtube for vintage hairstyle tutorials. tons of stuff! if you use real player 11 you can download videos from youtube to watch later

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
223762_1455248838245_1744062716_724022_5500012_n.jpg

My school age hair do's

Cute Critwt I like the top middle its adorable. My mom for some odd reason would chop off all my hair and leave my sisters long so everyone thought I was a boy. My hair was just God awful in elementary school. Funny though how she would get mad when I would shave it off myself in my high school punk phase.

crwritt

One Too Many
Cute Critwt I like the top middle its adorable. My mom for some odd reason would chop off all my hair and leave my sisters long so everyone thought I was a boy. My hair was just God awful in elementary school. Funny though how she would get mad when I would shave it off myself in my high school punk phase.

Thanks! That one is first grade I think. Maybe you gave her trouble about combing it, or you sisters refused to have theirs cut? My Mom would stand me in the kitchen and do my hair every morning, usually with a bun on top. I would mess it up on the way to school.
She cut our hair too, but never very short. Top left I remember having slept in those pink foam rollers.
Bottom left is 7th grade, after a summer of not cutting it.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer

Haha, I went through primary school in a weird bowl cut that my mum gave me, so I sympathise!!
Love the pictures Cwritt!

SheBear74

Practically Family
Everybody's hair is always such an inspiration. I just spent the last week reading this ENTIRE thread! Phew.

I thought I'd share my attempt today at victory rolls. So far this is the best job I've done, although I still need to work on placement. I'm getting there! I set my hair with sponge rollers last night using ClaraB's tutorial from waaay back in this thread. The front came out too curly for my taste and brushing didn't seem to help. Otherwise I think I am really loving this set. Everyday I get a little closer to taking the Middy plunge. It's a lot of work brushing curls into waves with my long hair.

DSCN0208.jpg

DSCN0209.jpg

Love your hair!!! Can't wait till mine is that long!

TheRedSquare

New in Town
Antje- Thanks for sharing your tutorial. This is right up my alley because I was longing for a vintage inspired hair do that didn't require an over night set. It seems to me that a flat iron induced curl would hold much better than with a curling iron. Once I get a 1" flat iron this is going to be the first hairstyle I try. Thank you again- Your hair is always such an inspiration to me.

SheBear- Thank you!

Here is my do' today that I am *really* excited about. Since joining this community I have been eager to grow out the bettie bangs so I could achieve the lovely forward roll bang many of you sport. I can't believe it but I somehow managed to do it with short bangs and all. Excuse my face in the picture, I always feel so silly taking pictures of myself :eusa_doh:

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy