Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Thanks Grant fan!

This was my hair today. Not my usual at all, but I wanted something fun and different. It was a little tricky to do the rolls since my hair is so short, but I think it turned out ok.

Photo70.jpg

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies! I was a little worried it might have been too much, but you gals have given me the confidence to do it like that again sometime.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I wish I could get better pictures. :p I saw a tutorial on LisaFreemontstreets site about suicide rolls? Anyway this may not quite be it, but I tried. lol I pulled the sides up into little rolls and put the back up.
IMG-20111117-00295.jpg

IMG-20111117-00289.jpg

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I found this cute picture from 1940 which seals my love for my v-neck sweaters (and shows me that they are indeed retro!)
6334352653_16e311d02a_z.jpg

Love that!

I have some 1950s magazines and, while I love the photographs in them, I never thought of making the attempt to copy them. I need to start curling my hair again - back to the hair band method I think!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Love that!

I have some 1950s magazines and, while I love the photographs in them, I never thought of making the attempt to copy them. I need to start curling my hair again - back to the hair band method I think!

I know, right? But this one I was particularly drawn to because of the v-neck, for some reason I don't often see many photos of ladies wearing v-necks then, usually just crewnecks. I would love to find a pink and green scarf like that though...it looks like such a gorgeous design!

Hair inspiration today from an unnamed 1940s model I found on Flickr. This is my second attempt at this style and it's better than the first though the more I look at it, the more I think I need to let the curls cascade like my Yvonne DeCarlo look, except in this case it will be on both sides of the head rather than on on side.

6377435199_3c84bf0be8.jpg

6377459181_b75efa4e95_z.jpg

6377459047_3c97bd7dfc_z.jpg

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Rue! Today is one of my "lazy" days. ;) However in my defense I have been browsing a lot of photos of lovely ladies from the 20s and 30s so I thought I'd put a flapper spin on my hair with a spit curl on each side and a finger wave on one. My hair is parted down the middle here with two braids folded with the ends tucked under and pinned to the nape of my neck.

6383906295_568f46db86.jpg

6383933829_dcec3237d6.jpg

Juliet

A-List Customer
Retro_GI_Jane, I am truly starting to look forward to your posts! Love every single one of them!

ginfizz, I just love that up-do!
A proof for the noosphere - I made very similar rolls a few weeks ago, inspired by the incredible 2pairsofjeans over at LJ, just didn't have the time to post the pictures!

Nine, that faux fringe looks adorable! And so neatly rolled!

Juliet

A-List Customer
This is my hair today. As the pictures were taken n the evening, please forgive the flyaways. They just don't listen to me this late :)
Actually I was just playing around, inspired by the Lauren Rennels book, (which I am now definitely purchasing :) ), but then I thought about how we always go on about not having the courage to wear a more complicated hairdo to work? So I didn't dismantle it :)

Once more - excuse the picture quality. I'm beginning to suspect I'll never get the hang of photographing myself...

Of course, one can also see about 5438 bobby pins :D

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Oh my, thanks, Juliet! I'm blushing over here now. :)

I do love your updo! What did you do in the back to put it up or is it all rolls along your crown? Victory rolls are something I have yet to get "perfected"...when it comes to doing one side, the other is always lopsided because I'm not used to working in the opposite direction like that. ;) I have Lauren Rennell's first vintage hairstyling book; I won it off a blog I read. I have yet to get the second or her make-up styling book but I love her blog too, it's always full of great ideas.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Thank you Retro_GI_Jane!
Actually my hair is still too short to roll it prettily in the back, so I did the following - I separated the back in two horizontal sections. I tucked the lower half in a sort-of french twist, to keep the nape smooth, then I pinned the upper section in a downward roll, covering the ends of the lower half. (If that makes any sense?)
And yes, victory rolls on BOTH sides :D - now that is probably the hardest thing!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Hello lovely, knowledgeable ladies!

I'm after a bit of advice regarding "dry pin curls" - that's what Lauren Rennells refers to them as - used in her hair styles like "The Homemaker".

I just cannot get the hang of them. I can create them OK but I just don't know where to pin them so that the bobby pin doesn't show.

Any tips/ advice ideas?

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Hello lovely, knowledgeable ladies!

I'm after a bit of advice regarding "dry pin curls" - that's what Lauren Rennells refers to them as - used in her hair styles like "The Homemaker".

I just cannot get the hang of them. I can create them OK but I just don't know where to pin them so that the bobby pin doesn't show.

Any tips/ advice ideas?

I'm not always *too* worried about pins showing, however, I usually follow the same trick that you would do if you're trying to a wet set without a kink...I pin under the curl. I also grab the hair where the curl joins the hair extending to the root to keep it from unwinding.

Juliet said:
Actually my hair is still too short to roll it prettily in the back, so I did the following - I separated the back in two horizontal sections. I tucked the lower half in a sort-of french twist, to keep the nape smooth, then I pinned the upper section in a downward roll, covering the ends of the lower half. (If that makes any sense?)

Oh yes, that does make sense. I'm not the best at french twists either when it comes to tucking in the ends so I usually fall back on a bun. :p But I'll have to keep in mind rolling the ends!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy