Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Antje, your hair so pretty! Isn't it always when you are just fooling around with your hair that it works the best?lol

Sunny, your long waves are beautiful and I adore your robe!!! I like wearing my rolls back like that sometimes too. :)

Kamikat, I love the new do! And you know all us hairdressers are the same! Always going and getting something done to our hair, even though we should be waiting, and then going home and fixing it ourselves! lol I am so lucky right now to have found a hairdresser that actually understands how to cut my hair. I keep telling her when we move next, I'll be flying out for my haircuts! ha ha! I've had that only once before, and with all of our moving around, it's hard. Which turns out to be a good thing I know how to cut my own hair! lol

Oh and what NIkki said about the coaxing the wave and setting with duckbills...If there is alredy a wave in the hair, I always set them this way. SO EASY! and then pin curls on the bottom. You will look so super cute with a 30's 'do! You always look super cute anyways.. hee hee!:D

Sunny

One Too Many
Aww, thanks, Red and Nikki! I just really like the back rolls, and sideways they do nothing for my face. It's pretty bad! I do love the robe. I was watching Another Thin Man, and Nora wears a robe that's also got the big sleeves shaped with darts. Hard to believe that mine's from 1936 as well, but I guess it's possible. I certainly love to wear it!

Kamikat, I really like the new cut, although I'm certainly sorry it's not what you had in mind! As someone else mentioned, it looks like one of those cute short 1950s cuts. It's not something I've seen much, even here at the Lounge. Good for you! :eusa_clap

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Everyone's hair looks just lovely! Here's my attempt yesterday with twisting my hair and pinning it back. Awful cell phone pic.

My wedding hair-

My normal hair-

Last night I tried a wet set with pin curls, it came out WAY too FLUFFY!! And I mean FLUFFY!! :eek: I will have to try it again, with better clips this time. I didn't take a picture of the fluff.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I envy the length of your hair Waingirl--so much potential for great styles with that length! Off topic, but your wedding dress is gorgeous!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Kamikat - I think it looks cute and you could pull off mid to late 50s styles with the length. Maybe also try some little rolls or curls at the front. You did a great job of tidying it yourself too. I have now learnt never to leave a hairdresser unsatisfied though! I used to make them re-do the bits I wasn't happy with, numerous times if necessary, but thankfully I've got a good hairdresser now (the fabulous Nina!) so I don't have that problem anymore.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Johanna said:
Thank you! :)

New hair picture:
2247063274_b9a919667b_o.jpg

Adorable, as usual! I wish I could do that backward roll/pomp at the front but it really doesn't suit me due to my big forehead. Your curls always look lovely and soft too.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Well first off, thank you!
I did the back by gathering it like I was going to do a low ponytail, then putting a clip across the bottom of the hair and rolling it up over the clip until it meets the back of my head. Then I pinned it in place. It didn't stay in all day but my hair isn't quite long enough I think. It'll be easier when I've got more hair.
BackRoll.jpg

The lippy is the classic MAC Ruby Woo - it's the ultimate colour and stays put really well.

Thanks for the explanation and photo. My attempts at up-dos have never been successful so I steer clear of them but when it's really windy (which seems to be quite often it seems!) it would be nice to have it all up so it's not flying all over the place. Oh and I have Ruby Woo but it looks a completely different colour on me. Looks better on you!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Here is how I wore my hair the other day. I seriously think I ate a bowl of ugly that day... my face is bloody pudgy and fug! So ignore that look at the hair.

P1120510c.jpg

Pudgy? Beautiful, more like! You pull off a centre parting very well. It's so Hedy Lamarr.

Sunny

One Too Many
waingirl said:
Everyone's hair looks just lovely! Here's my attempt yesterday with twisting my hair and pinning it back. Awful cell phone pic.

I really like it! Very pretty effect. Of course I'm very partial to back rolls. ;) And this may sound funny, but I like how it shows the shape of your face and forehead, and even your eyebrows. Very pretty! :eusa_clap

waingirl

One of the Regulars
:) Thank you Imoldfashioned and Sunny. I think I might wear it pinned back like that at work, but I might get a little razzing from the girls there.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Very pretty, Johanna! I love how your curls frame your face. :)

My everyday hairstyle is two rolls in front, with the rest curled/waved. I'm not sure that "they" ever did rolls going back instead of sideways, but I really love how it gives my long face some width. Best of all, it keeps my hair off my ears. I've always hated the feeling for some reason.

Front.
DSC00634_crop.jpg

Sort of top and back.
DSC00640.jpg

Back and side.
DSC00649_crop.jpg
DSC00650_crop.jpg

I took these Monday night, third day after setting. I "set" my hair with hot sticks and a light spritz of diluted setting lotion on Saturday morning, tried to tame the ensuing craziness, and then brushed every morning since. The curl leaves fairly fast, but the wave lasts until I wash it.

(And no, my hair is not red. It's between brown and blonde, ashy at the scalp and glinting golden/red further down.)

Very pretty Sunny! I do a similar hairstyle but using tiny butterfly clips (about half an inch wide) to create 'faux rolls'. It's a style I use mainly when I haven't had time to curl my hair and it's straight but I can't stand it just hanging there so I take 2 sections from each side, push them forward and clip in place. I usually add a flower to the side aswell. When I first starting doing it about 4 years ago I thought I resembled Gary Oldman in Dracula but I usually receive compliments so it can't look that bad lol It's a quick fix for when you don't have much time in the mornings too.

Sunny

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
Very pretty Sunny! I do a similar hairstyle but using tiny butterfly clips (about half an inch wide) to create 'faux rolls'. It's a style I use mainly when I haven't had time to curl my hair and it's straight but I can't stand it just hanging there so I take 2 sections from each side, push them forward and clip in place. I usually add a flower to the side aswell. When I first starting doing it about 4 years ago I thought I resembled Gary Oldman in Dracula but I usually receive compliments so it can't look that bad lol It's a quick fix for when you don't have much time in the mornings too.

Hey, I used to do almost exactly the same thing, except with combs! A big reason I've switched to rolls is because the ends of the front hair aren't hanging down in my way, or dragging the "puff" down, or sliding the comb out. My hair's fairly thick and fairly coarse, so it's not slippery on its own, but the sheer weight of it pulls some hairstyles down.

MissHannah

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
When I first starting doing it about 4 years ago I thought I resembled Gary Oldman in Dracula but I usually receive compliments so it can't look that bad lol

This made me laugh so much! I thought I was the only one suffering from the dreaded Oldman syndrome!

MissHannah

One Too Many
We're not dissing him... we're just scared of looking like this:

Dracula6.jpg

Great actor, sex symbol - yes.
Hairstyle icon - no.

;)

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Cufflinks, I'm continually amazed by people who can cut their own hair. I can't even get a decent set with hot rollers, let alone take scissors to it!
Nice job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy