Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ShortClara

One Too Many
Breakage

To combat breakage: I swear by this "It's a 10" hair mask. See here.

My bleached parts look so healthy and they do no break at all. Granted, I only started bleaching a couple of months ago now, but I've had colored hair for 9 years now, and it's so soft and healthy! Even the Amazon reviewers say so :D

Oh, and I'm now using the spray, too, for thermal protection.

fernande

Vendor
KittyT said:
My hair is very strong so it's handled the bleaching well, but more and more I'm noticing breakage and dryness. The only problem is that I have to wait for the black to grow out before I can take everything to a natural blond shade. In the meantime, I'll have to keep bleaching, I fear. Or maybe I should keep the two-tone look with a natural blond instead.

Does anyone have any experience dying a darker blond shade over already bleached locks?

I am about to find out Kitty T! I think if you were to go it alone you would have to use something like Redkens Shades EQ on your bleached ends, and try to match a higher lift color to the shades to do your roots- (I assume you are a brunette)

I've had far too many hair disasters to try this, even though I think it would be pretty easy.

I've been blonde for years- with the occasional whim on wanting dark Bettie Page esque locks- then only to decide it doesn't suit me and need to bleach.

I had blonde with highlights blonde for awhile (like my avatar)
I watched a couple jean harlow movies and thought-"I should go white/platinum"
I went to a very good (and expensive) colorist in nyc, who achieved this- but not at the cost of my hair, I've been bleaching for years, so I knew the drill, but it seems that perhaps she was not as careful as she could have been (perhaps rushing a bit- hey its new york, everyone is rushing all the time)

- IT looked nice for all of a week- then strangely so- it lost its platinum luster very quickly- not even shimmer lights or purple shampoos could help. (I think its the water where I live- it must be hard, or soft or something...)
It just turned a dingy, sort of yellow pudding color.
Not really what I wanted for nearly $300.00.

SO I'm going to get Strawberry Blonde/Red ala' Rita Hayworth
@ The Bumble and Bumble Salon downtown.
I expalined to the colorist my situation and she will be doing exactly what you asked Kitty T- using a glaze to fill in the bleached out an then lifting my roots.

I will post pictures. I am looking foward to less hair woes, for sure. I wish I had less financial hair woes too, I was told to go strawberry would probably be around $100.00- which is cheap for NYC. maybe it'll be the perfect match. I was told the colorist teaches the "strawberry blonde/highlight/color" class.

I've had at least 6 really really disappointing situations at salons in NYC. I'm not neurotic either! I just seem to go to these places where the stylist is doing 5 clients at a time, obviously rushing (gets bleach in my eye! on my clothes!) yikes!

we'll see ::: crosses fingers::

:D

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
streaks = old-school?

ShooShooBaby said:
pink, you look cute! i love the way rolls look with a bleached streak. apparently that was a schoolgirl fad in the 40s.

ShooShooBaby, is that so? All this time I thought that streaks and two-tone coloring were just a modern twist to a retro look. PLEASE somebody post pics of 40's girls with two-toned hair!

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
My hair is very strong so it's handled the bleaching well, but more and more I'm noticing breakage and dryness. The only problem is that I have to wait for the black to grow out before I can take everything to a natural blond shade. In the meantime, I'll have to keep bleaching, I fear. Or maybe I should keep the two-tone look with a natural blond instead.

Does anyone have any experience dying a darker blond shade over already bleached locks?

Hey Kitty! I wanted to go from my bleached white/platinum to a more natural blonde last summer, so i went to a salon to have it dyed. The color turned out really brassy and spotty and a little pink, and in some of the longer areas which had been bleached multiple times it even went gray (ick!!!). This was done by a hairdresser who has dyed my hair multiple times with great results at a nice salon, so I think that the bleaching was all to blame. I just dyed my hair brown with a box at home after a few weeks because I just could not adjust to the color. Anyway, I would suggest slowly toning your color down, maybe lowlighting it for a while until it is darker and easier to keep up... I hope this helps, and best of luck! Please let me know how it turns out for you, as I miss my blonde hair, but I change it so often that I am afraid to bleach and then want to change the color again! :) Here are some pictures of the bleached then darker blonde mishap... (also the bangs dont do a thing for me!! haha) hope this helps!

bleached:
2329315247_c6c025225d.jpg

and dyed darker: (p.s. sorry for the ridiculous makeup, I was just having one of those experimental days!! haha)
2330139502_3ba6524de8.jpg

Blondie

Practically Family
KittyT said:

I have just dyed my bleached blonde hair with Nice & Easy Perfect 10 in 8G Medium Golden Blonde ~ Belline Honey, the day before i put Revlon Champagne in ( it turned Grey ) so i dyed over the top of it ,
it needs the lengths re-doing again as it didnt take as well, but i am very happy with the results.
My hair was breaking so thought it wise to give it a break for a while, and the golden blonde will make my regrowth a whole let less noticable !
Will post pics soon !!!!!!!!!

fernande

Vendor
Nice hair Magpie and Blondie. very sunny and natural!

I am in your boat (or former boat)

Blondie's pre dye hair looks like my hair now (with the slightest bannana custard overcast- which once again I think is from the water in my area)

I have to do a video interview with a fashion website about my vintage styling work, and I'm totally stressed about my hair!! I'm thinking the only think I can do is wear a "FIERCE" hat, and just hide it.

I tried doing a little pompadour with the bangs, but it still looks bad.
I have a fantastically weird helmet/cloche hat from the 30s, that looks more ornamental than "outdoorsy" I guess that'll have to do.

If anyone has any other "roots hiding" hairstyle suggestions, fire away!

fernande

Vendor
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Ooh do let us see the results Fernande!

NYC sounds so glam.:eek:

:eek:fftopic: Kitty, I find very little about New York glamorous! I am forever joking with friends that nyc is beyond glamorous - if you're rich.
most of us are so busy just trying to pay our $2000+ rents, to glam it up- but we try!
I find my old home New Orleans, very glamorous! ( in sort of an oooky spooky way), and I had great hairdressers!! bah!
If bumble and bumble fails me- its time for a jet blue flight!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
cherry_lips, i don't have any pics of this. i got that info from the infamous Turdich 40s hairstyles book. i know she got all her info from vintage magazines and beauty guides. she also wrote that it was a fad for blondes to make a dark streak with carbon paper!

Blondie

Practically Family
fernande said:
:eek:fftopic: Kitty, I find very little about New York glamorous! I am forever joking with friends that nyc is beyond glamorous - if you're rich.
most of us are so busy just trying to pay our $2000+ rents, to glam it up- but we try!
I find my old home New Orleans, very glamorous! ( in sort of an oooky spooky way), and I had great hairdressers!! bah!
If bumble and bumble fails me- its time for a jet blue flight!
Have you had a toner applied to conteract the yellow ?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Magpie Annie said:
I don't think it's rediculous at all, I love it!! :eek:fftopic: I use those colors a lot in the summer, and used to stripe my eyes with them in highschool. It looks fab on you!!

About going back darker after being bleached.... you will need a filler. I would suggest using Porosity Control conditioner from Sally's for a good week or so first. Then you need a "filler" color, such as Redken Shades in about a level 9. I usually mix 9N with a smidge of 8CG, (a neutral 9 with 8 copper gold). You have to have some warmth or it will grab grey. But you can't have too much red or it will turn pink. And since bleach blonde can be different porosity in different lengths of the strand the porosity control will help.
So, fill it first then go back over top with your next sollution. I'd use Shades again, in a level 7 or 6 the second time.
Depending on your porosity you may have to do this multiple times for it to hold on to the color and not fade out in a week. But sometimes it grabs the first time and doesn't let go! Shades is best but whatever you use make sure it's not more than 10 volume peroxide. Shades isn't even that much.

Blondie you're a doll, and I love that cherry top!

PINK, love the curly do. Very Lucy!!

Miss S I think you nailed it. Great work!
Nikki

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Johanna said:
I cut my hair short again.
2328288491_64c93ceaec_o.jpg

2328288315_fe50b9cb5d_o.jpg

I am totally in love with your hair Johanna! You and ShortClara are giving me short hair envy!!

I'm really starting to get annoyed with my long hair! I've been growing it for a few years now, it's about mid back. My boyfriend LOVEs long hair and has threatened to disown me if I cut it :p But it's really thick and I'm getting to the stage where I just don't know what to do with it! It's naturally wavy, hold curl really well and after seeing these great curly hairstyles, it's so tempting to go short!! But I think I'm also just suffering from that whole 'I'm so bored with my hair' thing. I've not dyed it for over a year, and I've only had trims for the last two years, so I think I'm jsut really bored! I need a change!

TessTrueheart

Last_Chael said:
I'm really starting to get annoyed with my long hair! I've been growing it for a few years now, it's about mid back. My boyfriend LOVEs long hair and has threatened to disown me if I cut it :p

About ten years ago I had really long hair, down to my elbows. I finally got tired of it and cut 12 inches off. The men in my life never noticed. lol

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
I don't think it's rediculous at all, I love it!! :eek:fftopic: I use those colors a lot in the summer, and used to stripe my eyes with them in highschool. It looks fab on you!!

Thanks Ohairas!! I was really hesitant to post that picture, but I feel better now!! lol

drjones

A-List Customer
wow!

VERY cute. You have very expressive eyes. The hairstyle shows them off. Very Marilyn Monroe. I LOVE this. Just thought you should know at least ONE guy here drooled over the picture. LOL! :D

DRJONES

Johanna said:
I cut my hair short again.
2328288491_64c93ceaec_o.jpg

2328288315_fe50b9cb5d_o.jpg

shamrocq

New in Town
Hi all! This is my first attempt at them bangs. I used Velcro rollers. Had a hard time sleeping in them, if any at all. Gonna cut my hair shorter soon to get a better shape.

rom.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80