Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
I know ethereal, I was just spelling it out. ;)

I think Nina can do anything! ;) She's great, definitely go there if you're in London. She obviously does a lot of 40's rolls since that's what a lot of the girls want, but I've seen some photos of great 30's styles she's done, you can see some examples here. I've also seen some awesome bob cuts, she's versatile.

I'm pretty sure finger waves are a no go for my hair, since you need to have some sort of wave in it naturally for them to turn out good and, more importantly, stay there. Who knows, maybe Nina or Stig (Anna's new favorite hairdresser) could wave my hair, but if not, I would be able to create waves by other means, so it's okay.

And Sunny, wow, you did so good on your hair, it suits your face really well! How do you get the neck to be so neat? It's such a hassle for me whenever I do updos, maybe I need to install a mirror like this in the bathroom so I can see my back and still have both my hands free...
Oh, my bad! :eusa_doh: lol
Thanks for the link! :)
Ah okay... it must have to do with hairstructure too, because eventho my hair is naturally wavy, it doesn't hold any form of styling very well either. Max 1-2 hours.. but this might be because I don't really use other product than harspray, though.

OH! Do tell me about that hairdresser! Why is he a fave of hers, and where can I find him? I have given up on hairdressers...but if he can do some magic...:D

Edit: Nevermind, I am going to PM her.

Mary

Practically Family
DSC01067.jpg

Sunny, you are so very beautiful with this hair! Lovely hairdo and it suits you very well. I love this look on you, it's a very dear look,if you can call it that.

I rarely wear my hair up and I haven't thought that much about headshapes but I think wearing updo's often is very flattering. But your's looks a bit tricky even if you master it to perfection.

Ashes Of Roses

New in Town
Sunny said:
Incidentally, what color would you call my hair? It's got a very slight greenish tinge from the mirror, but other than that it's fairly close. It's got gold, brown, and red in it all at once, and I've never found a good name for it.

I'd call your color goldenrod, love the hairdo!

PS

A-List Customer
Thanks Everyone!

Tess The new cut is such a young gamine look! I love everything about it.
Fluer Do you use pins to keep the snood to the head?
Laura I think you are right its more 18th than anything else. I did just buy a feather headband. A nest and berries? Great ideas!!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
It would also look really good if you let one lock down and take it to the front across your shoulder, like in the photos. Some inspiration:

I think this was called a love lock. It's mentioned in descriptions of the coquettish Lizzie Eustace's hair in Anthony Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds (1873). But maybe that style had another name during the rococo era?

Sunny

One Too Many
Aww, thank you so much, ladies! And thanks for the color suggestions, too! I've never heard of either one. :)

Laura Chase said:
And Sunny, wow, you did so good on your hair, it suits your face really well! How do you get the neck to be so neat? It's such a hassle for me whenever I do updos, maybe I need to install a mirror like this in the bathroom so I can see my back and still have both my hands free...
That mirror is awesome! I'd love one like that. The back is neat because (a) the braids are tight enough to not come loose and (b) my hair had enough oil on it to keep the frizzies down.

LelaViavonie said:
Sunny!
I love your hair.. I never would have thought to put something like that together!

Hope u dont mind If I try it sometime.. It looks like a great style for my bike rides.. always have the wind in my face
Mind? Why should I? :D By all means, try it! The rolls may get in the way of the helmet, but you don't have to do rolls just like that anyway. And braids are always my favorite for keeping my hair neat in the wind.

If it'll help, here's how I do it.

Rolls
  • Part my hair on the side. When I'm doing braids, I angle the part toward the crown of my head and then straight down the back.
  • Section off the hair in a line from above my EAR (edit!) to the part. Roll each section back and pin.

Braids
  • Comb each back section very smooth down to the scalp, away from the part, and toward the back of the ear.
  • Divide the section into three parts, as even in size AND length as possible. Think of the divisions as three triangles with the bases on the part and the apexes at that point behind the ear.
  • Start the braid by crossing the topmost section over first. Don't do the first 3 crossovers super-tight; you need to create a "pocket" for the end of the other braid to go.
  • Braid the rest of the brain tightly (to keep the braids from fuzzing), and as far to the end as possible (to make it as easy as possible to pin up). Use a small, unobtrusive hair band (plastic or those brown rubber hair bands) to tie it off.
  • Pinning up the end of the braid is the trickiest part it's just going to take practice. I usually loop the little end of the braid around itself and under the rubber band, then work it like that into the pocket under the other braid. Pin over or through the band, using bobbie pins making X's. You should need no more than 4. If it's pulling on something or makes the other braid look weird, you've caught part of the other braid in your pins and need to try again. I usually get one of the two really good, and have to fix the other partway through the day. :D

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Thanks soo much sunny for the step by step.. Looks like I will be trying a new do this weekend!! Wooohooo!!

Ohh mabey even tomorrow night..... I am going to knotts and well.. i cant have my hair flyin around when im on a roller coaster! :D

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Odalisque said:
You look just like your grandmother!
That's so sweet that you have the same hairstyle.
Like you are keeping her memory alive .....with your hair.:)

LelaViavonie said:
U look adorable!!
U look just like your grandmother... beautiful!
Lovin the hair!

Thank you, ladies! :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
My hair is getting too long to pin curl properly, but here's my best shot. And I also tried using something called Lockvox (a type of brylcreem available here in Denmark) and I think it made the hair quite shiny.

And later that day, after the curls had dropped somewhat and after many brushings:

Btw, the makeup I'm wearing is Bésame, mascara is the Bésame 1930's mascara and I'm wearing the cherry red lipstick as a lipstain, but it can be built up to be really intense and dark. Amazing lipstick!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Wow! I'm envious of both your hair, hair color, eye color, clear, fair complexion, you name it! Lockvox! Thanks!

How long is your hair now when unset? Layers? Sorry I'm always bombarding people with questions.:eek:

Sunny, your hair looks lovely too, I wish I could do my back like that if my hair was long enough and that pin is super cute!

You ladies are confirming me in that less is more and I need to do away with half of my make-up and spend more on quality and universally flattering natural tones.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
My hair is getting too long to pin curl properly, but here's my best shot. And I also tried using something called Lockvox (a type of brylcreem available here in Denmark) and I think it made the hair quite shiny.

And later that day, after the curls had dropped somewhat and after many brushings:

Btw, the makeup I'm wearing is Bésame, mascara is the Bésame 1930's mascara and I'm wearing the cherry red lipstick as a lipstain, but it can be built up to be really intense and dark. Amazing lipstick!

I love it! How did you curl your hair for that style (especially the top photo)?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:

Yowza!
I never knew true envy until today- You're gorgeous dear!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Thank you all so much, it's really just nice pictures.

cherry lips, thank you sweetie, I don't do my hair every day (or every week), but when I do I love how beautiful it makes me feel.

Lillemor, Lockvox is really nice, available at Matas. And just feel free to ask. My hair when unset is maybe just above the shoulder blades? A little layered, but not really, mostly just the bangs, they are only to my chin.

Cricket, aw, blush, I'm glad they enjoyed the photos. ;)

~*Red*~, you're such a doll, I love when you post pictures also because you have such thick lovely hair and style it perfectly, so it's a big compliment, thank you.

SweetieStarr, I curled it in this way, just with an extra row in the back now that my hair is so long:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24