Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Lillemor

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Years ago at an auction I found in a box i bought a bunch of what I will call girl scout hats. I call them this because one of the hats had a Be Prepared girl scout pin on it! I just curled my front bangs, did two pig tails and stuck my hat on at an angle! Probably not the proper girl scout hat position! lol

4238973840_ee04159664.jpg

May I ask how your bangs are cut?

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
I don't know whether to compliment your ladies on your hairstyles, hair colors or the clothes/accessories I can see in your photos.:) I can't set my hair in anything but a sad attempt at a bouffant with flip or other smooth style because I realized too late that the hairdresser must've used the scissor in a razor-like movement on some of the under layers that aid volume in daily wear.:(

I feel for you darling, I just went to the stylist and she usually does my hair fine, but this time I said I wanted a lot of layers, and it was ok, until the last 30 seconds, when she grabbed a section off the top of my head, twisted, and snipped. It comes to me ear. My hair is below my shoulder.: :eusa_doh: :(

Lillemor

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:
I feel for you darling, I just went to the stylist and she usually does my hair fine, but this time I said I wanted a lot of layers, and it was ok, until the last 30 seconds, when she grabbed a section off the top of my head, twisted, and snipped. It comes to me ear. My hair is below my shoulder.: :eusa_doh: :(

Exactly, I thought I could trust the stylists at this place, they've done fine in the past, didn't matter which one I used, boys and hub always look fine but when you say layers at the top they misunderstand it completely. I don't know if there was too much noise in the salon.

I said: "I don't set my hair very often anymore" and "I'd like to be able to add more volume to my style". Perhaps she heard I don't set my hair and I'd like to be able to add more volume to my style???

From a modern/classic perspective I have a very flattering cut with many modern possibilities so I can understand why most people don't understand my complaint.

Considering that I don't set my hair as often as I wear it down and the bouffant with flip suits me in a cute way, I'm trying to see this in a positive light.

This isn't going to give you much comfort but the shorter it is, the shorter you have to wait to outgrow it, right?! Please!:eek:

My main problem is that I so desperately want to like a new hair cut that I tell myself it's fine for the first two weeks. I even tell the stylist that it's the best cut ever and I genuinely mean it in that instant.

But when every set ends up looking like 70s disco hair or an 80s fry and that's not my thing.....

If someone has found a way around their modern layers and know the secret to cheating the way to decent vintage appearing hair, please post your picture!

cecil

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
I figured it! (Though I didn't expect the pictures to be so big.)
My summer pixie cut has finally grown out enough to play with, and the layers have evened up somewhat, so I tried a 20s finger wave using duckbill clips. At bedtime, I put in a few bobby pins in hopes of saving the shape, as I'm a restless sleeper. These pictures are from day two. A bit untidy, but I hope as I practice I can learn to wrangle the waves better.
fingerwavesfirsttryJan2010004.jpg
[/IMG]

[/IMG][/IMG]

What a fortunate face! You're gorgeous! I'm sure I'm not the first person to say so though. Oh, and the hair is great too. Hahahaha. lol

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Lillemor....In that picture, my bangs are cut at an angle from right to left. The shortest part of my bang reaches to bottom of my eye and then runs at an angle to the corner of my mouth. Hope that helps?

Lillemor

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Lillemor....In that picture, my bangs are cut at an angle from right to left. The shortest part of my bang reaches to bottom of my eye and then runs at an angle to the corner of my mouth. Hope that helps?

Thanks, I think mine are opposite yours and just a little shorter yet at the longest part but longer at the shortest part. But basically I should be able to do something similar with my bangs.

vintagekttn

New in Town
Here I go....

I am new, and a little aprehensive about posting. I am a 50's girl. I am growing out my hair from a pixie. Right now it is a bob almost chin length, with bangs (bangs added recently). I have never done my hair myself. But, now that I live a couple hours from anyone who can do my hair, I have to start learning. Here is my first attempt. I did a wet set with vintage aluminum curler. But, when I brushed it out, it looked horrible. So, I went back over it with a curling iron. My profile pic is the next day with one side pinned back. One of these days I will attempt pin curls.

BTW, I spent the whole weekend looking at the photos in thread. I love them. Keep them coming! :eusa_clap If anyone has suggestions for 50's styles, please let me know.

Ok well that didn't work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagekttn/

BrookOwens

New in Town
MaryDeluxe said:
Years ago at an auction I found in a box i bought a bunch of what I will call girl scout hats. I call them this because one of the hats had a Be Prepared girl scout pin on it! I just curled my front bangs, did two pig tails and stuck my hat on at an angle! Probably not the proper girl scout hat position! lol

4238973840_ee04159664.jpg

4239079516_3bb22d76cc.jpg

4239054294_d27b7804dc.jpg
So cute I love the hat and the pin curls look like Rachel McAdams in the notebook! CUTE CUTE!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
4294638494_049f85b48c_o.jpg

Excuse the grainy cell phone photo...but I'm starting to learn to wave my hair with my vintage wave clips...its getting there, but its 'crunchier' than I like when using the Lottabody (diluted a bit more than they suggest)...but here's sharing the practice in the meantime! :)

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
BrookeOwens!!!!

BrookeOwens!!!!

I would have PM'd you but you haven't posted enough to allow the option. I have had a sort of fuzzy notion about what I want to do with my hair. Your avatar is IT!! That's it! That's exactly what I want (hope) to do.

If you have any specifics, cut, how you set, anything like that, could you please post??? It's cheaper than forcing you to fly to PA so I can drag you into a shop with me and show the stylist. ...and at this time of year, it's a hell of a lot warmer to just post from CA too. :)

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Good Job!

Good Job!vintagekttn~Come on in,sit a piece! have a cup of coffee & a slice of pie as Miss N would say!(read the saying at the bottom of her name!)
your photo look a lot like .......Audrey Hepburn! the style is great!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
I say..........

Miss 1929 said:
A money clip? I don't think so, I think it's actually a dress clip, to be worn on a neckline. But it looks cute in the hair too! I wear my dress clips in my hair a lot.
Miss 1929 is correct!it's a fur clip or a dress clip to be clipped to the collar! but as you both said looks ok right in that auburn red hair as well!Nice clip...DETAILS,darling,Details! where did you even find such a beautiful piece!??
**Good eye miss '29!~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto