Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Horrockses dresses!

MissHannah

One Too Many
The lighting was quite low in this one but not so much that you couldn't see the dresses! And they aren't all in glass cases so you can get a really up-close look at them if you lean over the ropes! It's on until October Kate so you've got plenty of time still :)

D

Deleted member 12480

Coventry. The problem is finding someone to allow/come with me to get up there.

xxx

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Did anyone in go to the Frock Me on the Kings' Road 2 weeks ago?
Some of the sellers had Horrockses I believe.

Annie..If you have a birthday coming up, you could try suggesting a trip to London?

MissHannah

One Too Many
I second the book recommendation. Lots of images of real women in their Horrockses as well as models and royalty. And tons of info about the fabric design, which is the really interesting unique thing about them.

Drappa

One Too Many
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300447081309&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Wow, good for the seller. Did anyone here get this? I'd love to see modelling pics!
Miss Hannah, loved your pics of the exhibition and thanks for sharing. Is it just me or would it have been nice if they had made more of an effort with the mannequins and actually given them heads and hair? I know you're supposed to look at the dresses mainly, but I still think a whole "look" would have been nice.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I liked it without heads etc - no fuss, just dresses. What would have been nice though is if they had featured more of the images from the book of the dresses being worn. It's nice to see them in context as well as as objects.

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Hannah, did you see the long purple housecoat with the British Isles design on it that I mentioned before that I delivered there? I didn't notice it in your photos. If not I wonder why it wasn't included?

MissHannah

One Too Many
Hi Jenni :D

I did see it - there was a display of housecoats upstairs that was beautiful but it was really hard to photograph up there as it was just so dark and they don't allow any flash photography at all. There's a great picture of it in the book too.

Drappa

One Too Many
Who got it in the end?
MissHannah said:
There was a new one listed today on Ebay that I am SO tempted by... I get paid next wednesday so I might even be able to afford it!

4820815382_42f582081d_z.jpg

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
Hi Jenni :D

I did see it - there was a display of housecoats upstairs that was beautiful but it was really hard to photograph up there as it was just so dark and they don't allow any flash photography at all. There's a great picture of it in the book too.

Oh goody. I can't wait to go! :p

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I was under the impression that the Horrockses exhibition was on at the V&A museum..? I've just seen this, and luckily for me, I have an hour to kill on Bermondsey St this afternoon.

MissHannah

One Too Many
No no - the V&A just produced the book - the exhibit is at the Fashion & Textile Museum. Thank goodness you didn't set off to the V&A!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I blame all these Ebay sellers who keep advertising their dresses as "part of the history that is currently subject of a V&A exhibition" etc. My boyfriend works on Bermondsey St and kept telling me that there was an exhibition on "with those flowery dresses that you like" - now it all makes sense!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy