Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Horrockses dresses!

Drappa

One Too Many
Beautiful Horrockses that just sold on Ebay. The winning bidder is lucky indeed.

!Bug)OmQB2k~$(KGrHqR,!hwEv1+z)szkBM!qh!i1d!~~_12.JPG

ee5.jpg

ee3.jpg

Claireg

One of the Regulars
i posted this on "can you date it" thread too..
I picked up this wool belted NZ made Horrockses dress today for the grand total of $7 NZ!!
I am new to the Horrockses thing, I didnt know they made them here under license, and I have always just assumed they only made cotton full skirted dresses cause thats mostly all you see.
Anyone know anything about this kind??
How old it may be etc?
DSC05937.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC05938.jpg
[/IMG]

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Hi Claire! Although Horrockses most prominent and popular designs were cotton dresses, they would often make a few dresses in other materials in their Autumn/Winter collections, including wool and rayon.
I went to the exhibition yesterday, and I can't remember exactly, but I think they began outsourcing to other areas/countries in the fifties. Can anyone help further??

Drappa

One Too Many
I just need to share my pain with ladies who understand :)
My inlaws got us tickets to see Ricky Gervais in London, so I nagged my husband to go early and see the Horrockses exhibition. Of course we got stuck in terrible traffic and had to take the tube for nearly an hour. Last admission is at 5:15, museum shuts at 6. We ran all the way from London Bridge station (me in heels and huge crinoline) and got there 4 minutes late. They saw me look through the glass door and opened the door, but no amount of pleading nor my sweaty and dishevelled puppy face helped. Apparently they had already closed the till. I am sooo sad:(

Tulip

New in Town
Drappa said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300447081309&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Wow, good for the seller. Did anyone here get this? I'd love to see modelling pics!
Miss Hannah, loved your pics of the exhibition and thanks for sharing. Is it just me or would it have been nice if they had made more of an effort with the mannequins and actually given them heads and hair? I know you're supposed to look at the dresses mainly, but I still think a whole "look" would have been nice.

I went on Saturday and was a bit disappointed with the mannequins as they didn't much show the silhouettes, which is what drew me to 1940s/50s clothing in the first place.

It was lovely seeing the sketchbooks, though I wish I could have had a proper nose through a few of those!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
When I was is a shop in crystal palace at the weekend a couple speaking to the owner. They pulled out a thick beige tweed wool coat (not the nicest either- my opinion of course) and said (listen to this!)….
Not the conversation word for word but you will get the picture.

The lady: Oh it’s Horrockses, of course HE was the TAILOR to the Queen.
The Shop owner: Yes, this is what he was Famous for (referring to the coat!!!)
The Lady: Did you go and see the exhibition at the VandA….:eek:

Honestly, my face must have been a picture. I had to look away from my mum and sister. We all said that we wished we went up to them a corrected them but then again we thought just let people like that carry on being misinformed. I am pretty sure they are into vintage only for it being the 'in' thing……… makes me so cross……grrrrr.

Some words spring to mind too. Jumping and bandwagon

Anyway I thought the exhibition was grand!

p.s I'm not usually this scathing:eek:

MissHannah

One Too Many
Hahaha! I would have been exactly the same Miss Tuppence - dying to correct them but knowing it would only make me look like a knob!

Nomanolo

Familiar Face
Drappa said:
I just need to share my pain with ladies who understand :)
My inlaws got us tickets to see Ricky Gervais in London, so I nagged my husband to go early and see the Horrockses exhibition. Of course we got stuck in terrible traffic and had to take the tube for nearly an hour. Last admission is at 5:15, museum shuts at 6. We ran all the way from London Bridge station (me in heels and huge crinoline) and got there 4 minutes late. They saw me look through the glass door and opened the door, but no amount of pleading nor my sweaty and dishevelled puppy face helped. Apparently they had already closed the till. I am sooo sad:(

I feel your pain

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Tuppence - I live in Crystal Palace; was it perchance The Vintage Hart you were in?

Has anyone seen the two Horrockses freshly up on Ebay with starting bids of £97 and £137? They can go whistle!

It also annoys me when people write "it's so Mad Men". No, really love, it's not. Watch Mad Men and you'll work that out. (I clearly need to get out of the flat)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
It's not just me then, i'm the same when i see, hear and read piffle like that. Dear, dear. It's the same with everything on ebay that has polka dots on being described as 'rockabilly'! :eusa_doh:

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Kate, I'm not sure what shop it was... we went into so many shops and have become quite confuzzed.
Is The Vintage Heart the shop in the pub- if so then it wasn't that one! A shop very near though. (If you are out side the pub looking into the window then it would be on your right on the other side of the street... if that helps!) Was my first time in Crystal Palace -my sister has moved into a flat down the road! Small world hey?

Still no Horrockses dress in my closet:(

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Tups, I think you mean Vien. I like the ladies in the Vintage Hart (the pub), although one tried to sell me a horrendous gilet, which I almost bought because I couldn't find a way to say it was ugly diplomatically. I found one thing I liked in Vien, but it was so horrendously overpriced that I ran away and never went back.

Drappa

One Too Many
Beautiful Horrockses on Ebay Uk at the moment, including a light blue one that is also featured in the Horrockses book on page 88. Fortunately for my wallet, they are all tiny sizes. But if anyone has a 26" bust...

CEr7vQWkKGrHqZg4E0eb5LOR4BNSrnUwnrg0_3.jpg

CEr7yB2kKGrHqZlYE1GCzk7WBNSroIEGpQ0_3.jpg

439816732_o.jpg

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I've had my eye on the browny one although the blue one is totally gorgeous too. (Not my colour and no hope of me squeezing into it either). Let's hope no one pips me to the post as i have to wait a few days until payday! GRRRR!

Drappa

One Too Many
HOORAY! I just won this set, and I am so excited I am shaking, literally. It went for a lot less than I thought it would, less than my very first Horrockses which was a great deal back then, and I can't wait :D I've always, always wanted a set, but they're never in my size, or in good condition, and this is both by the sounds of it.
CFrwDFQEWkKGrHqJioE1NQySrR8BNV8vdMD0_3.jpg

CFrtyh2kKGrHqVgsE0whtNGBNV85ycFMw0_3.jpg

CFrvVvQEGkKGrHqZiQE1NQGQkVBNV8938PTg0_3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy