Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your non-vintage self

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
This is Hemingway Jones in a different mode:

Reminiscent of Howard Hughes..
icon14.gif

Isn't this weather great!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Edward...

You are so FABULOUS! I love the way you put an outfit together! Bravo!

:eek:fftopic: And that Tim Curry! *GUSH!*

The movie he did with Stallone, "Uncle Oscar", or some such thing, he was SO good. He made everyone look absolutely...???!!!! And I saw Annie a while ago as an adult, again, he stole the show!!

/off topic

Sandi

Edward

Bartender
Not-Bogart13 said:
A photo with Tim Curry! Cool!

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm enough of a geek that it was one of the highlights of my life to date!

matrioshka said:
Edward, nice shoes.

This is me with a SMLE:

plframevspnfdsc06687vvbw.jpg

Would you believe I've never watched Rocky Horror?

M

Alas, it's a dwindling fanbase these days... Those are well impressive shots! I know I've never really done drag beyond the comedy 'man in a dress' approach as per photos above, but I know I'd never be as impressive as that!

HadleyH said:

Maybe more vintage than you'd think - I have a book of repros of Sears pages from the 30s, wherein I was surprised to discover a picture of hooded sweatshirts on sale. They were for kids rather than adults, but nevertheless, I had presumed them to be a much more recent animal than that!

WH1 said:
If this is you with hair I think you need to keep shaving it off! lol shakeshead

If I could grow enough for a quiff.... alas, that is purest nylon on my shiny little dome....

And is it just me or does Tim Curry seem to have an enormous head.

lol I think it's just a funny perspective in the shot.

Darhling said:
Not many can pull of leopard like this!! :eusa_clap

lol

Carlisle Blues said:
Reminiscent of Howard Hughes..
icon14.gif

QUOTE]

I was going to say Steve MacQueen....

Lorrel Mae said:
You are so FABULOUS! I love the way you put an outfit together! Bravo!

:eek:fftopic: And that Tim Curry! *GUSH!*

The movie he did with Stallone, "Uncle Oscar", or some such thing, he was SO good. He made everyone look absolutely...???!!!! And I saw Annie a while ago as an adult, again, he stole the show!!

/off topic

Sandi

I've not seen Uncle Oscar, sounds fun.... Yeah, he was adorable too - really patient with me signing my Rocky Horror stuff, which must get old for him by now! Scary thing is how much like me dad he looks there....

I was sooooo chuffed he came over hre to do Spamalot - not only for the chance to get photo / autographs / etc, but just to see him perform - the man is incredible. He certainly hasn't lost his singing voice - if anything, it has gotten richer with age.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ever since I started to sew I'm not non-vintage ever anymore. But here I am about two years ago. On the right. I look nothing like this now. I'm actually platinum now:

n624014163_1078134_9867.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Edward, you are my new idol. Fabulous in leopard AND photo with Tim Curry. *swooning on both counts*

And here's me and the hubby a couple of months ago dining al fresco at a local eatery:

3747340436_3eecf37d04.jpg

Great idea for a thread, Grantfan!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lady Jessica, thank you so much! :D

Edward, great pictures of you there! :) and you are right! I have also seen some hoodies in 1930s fashion magazines, there is nothing new under the sun!:p

Everybody's photos are very nice. Thank you for posting! :eusa_clap

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Sis, I think you're my 1930s and non-vintage partner in crime. haha. It seemed even our "modern" clothes were similar styles when I saw you this summer ;)

Yes, scary but true, folks - Lauren and myself are scarily alike, although not particularly in looks. We joked we were just the British and American counter-parts of each other. :)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Pretty much anything I wear nowadays is vintage or vintage inspired (i.e. classic or reproduction), so. Unless I'm in some sort of a costume, but even those are increasingly vintage inspired, such as:

Uploaded11September2007055.jpg

(As Audrey, Little Shop of Horrors, in the West End production of 2007 - I don't normally dress in costume for the theatre, Rocky Horror aside, but the closing night was one we made an exception for).

This from two or three years ago or so, I think.... I'm on the far right.

Uploaded21My2007013.jpg

Hat was contemporary, jacket is an old German army jacket, probably 1970s, I think. Eventually it'll be replaced by an M-41 repro. Printed T shirt in that one. That's about the only thing in my wardrobe I still buy that's not a vintage-style item, printed T shirts. Don't wear them so often nowadays, though - at least the ones that aren't leaning towards something of a psychobilly look, which is quasi-vintage, I guess.

Uploaded190606RockyManchester040.jpg

That's me on the left, in June 2006. Pretty representative of how I was dressing back then - mostly a combination of '77 throwback and psychobilly. The I got too fat for drainpipes, and along came the rockabilly retirement plan, which lead to a stronger interest in 30s and 40s vintage, and on to today....

This last photo is pretty indicative of workwear from before I fully discovered vintage. The suit was "Next" (jacket now sacrificed to one of my zombie costumes - see the thread on Halloween costumes for men). That yellow cravat is actually a vintage item (probably 1960s, I should think), and is still worn today. It was actually my first cravat. for a few years I wore cravats in the office most days - now I tend to wear a regular tie more, with the cravats appearing more as casual wear.

Uploaded091006SpamalotFriday6and-3.jpg

The 'other guy' in the photo (left) is Tim Curry; this was taken at the stage door after one of the UK previews of Spamalot.

Interestingly, all of these photos are post-hair; the leopard shirt and drainpipes shot above was taken about seven days after I went for the full shave.

Tim Curry is BEYOND cool! Great pics Edward, love the smooth dome too!

Edward

Bartender
The RCAF uniform seems to be a much brighter blue than the RAF use, less grey in it, closer to a true 'royal blue', is that right, or does it just come out like that in photos?

(An off topic question, but is it a requirement that military marry in uniform, or more a tradition? Never known serving armed forces personnel at a time they were getting married, so never known the answer to this one!)

MisterCairo said:
Tim Curry is BEYOND cool! Great pics Edward, love the smooth dome too!

Thanks! I've been doing rthis for just over three years now.... I started balding at 26/27, full shave at 32 when even a number 1 twice a week wasn't hiding how fast I was thinning. Wish I'd done it years ago, as ironically I'm so much less self-concious about going bald since I opted to be, well, fully bald! lol

Inky said:
Edward, you are my new idol. Fabulous in leopard AND photo with Tim Curry. *swooning on both counts*

And here's me and the hubby a couple of months ago dining al fresco at a local eatery:

3747340436_3eecf37d04.jpg

Great idea for a thread, Grantfan!

Thanks! Y'all look great - I'd have said more psychobilly than civilian. ;)

Edward, I'd suspect part of it is a reminder that when you marry someone in the military, you marry into it and are going to have some of the same restrictions on your lifestyle as your uniformed spouse.

Plus some gals marry because of the uniform... kinda like how some "chicks dig scars".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart