Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your non-vintage self

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Edward:

After our armed forces "unified" in 1968 (a date that shall live in infamy) our beloved RCAF became nothing more than "Air Command" within the newly formed "Canadian Forces". Our beloved RCN became, you guessed it - Maritime Command.

Here's the best part - ALL THREE ELEMENTS ADOPTED ARMY GREEN UNIFORMS AND THE AIR FORCE LOST ITS RAF DERIVED RANKS AND USED ARMY RANKS!

You and Diamondback and others may have also noticed we adopted the navy gold rank ribbons for all three services, while ironically getting rid of the navy's executive swirl (except on the navy's mess kit and summer whites).

WHY??????????????

Some sense of tradition was restored in 1988 when the Tory government re-instated what we now call "distinctive environmental uniforms" (DEUs), and we returned to airforce blue, navy blue (black) and the army types, well, they stayed the same.

Yes, our new blue uniforms are a brighter blue than our RCAF/RAF dark blue, and we also (horror!) LOST OUR TUNIC BELT! But, blue is better than green. Unless you are airforce and non-aircrew and working on an operational air base - in which case, of course, you wear the army's new green combats.

WHY??????????????

Uniform for the wedding is a personal choice, not as much of a tradition as in the past. I wear it in civilian contexts whenever I can. I wore the tunic as it was a daytime event, mess kit of course for the evening reception.

I started balding at 22, then it really accelerated at about 25. I shaved down to the skin at 26, and completely agree - I have no self consciousness about being bald now, felt horrible with receding temples and a bare crown!

I am now a reserve legal officer, so will be wearing the green combats more often, as I am now an advisor to local army militia regiments and support units.

We keep our airforce tradition alive, however, by - get this - wearing a blue beret, blue tee shirt, and blue ribboned rank slip ons.

Only in Canada.........

God Save the Queen!

metropd

One Too Many
Some of the few pics i have when i'm not wearing a single article of vintage clothing

nickfacebook2.jpg

CIMG2953-1.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm game, here's a few:
sequin gown worn for the CA Pops Orchestra concert in Feb'09
359377312.jpg

silk chiffon dress with pashima shawl to church Easter Sunday
361205557.jpg

a favorite dress for latin ballroom dancing
359851297.jpg

Ralph Lauren skirt and top worn last Sunday to church and then for a Ragtime concert held at a Victorian mansion in SF, my hair has grown out quite a bit since these last two pics were taken!
359852133.jpg

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
How many times do you get told you look like Julia Roberts? :D

Grant Fan said:
I am posting this out of curiosty. I want to see what everyone on here looks like in modern/non-vintage style.

I'll go first

here I am in non-vintage style
summer2006081.jpg

summer20060592-1.jpg

hair019-1.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Honda Enoch said:
How many times do you get told you look like Julia Roberts? :D

Lets just put it this way, if I had a dollar for every time I have been told I am pretty sure I wouldn't have to work for some time. to be honest I really don't see it. I mean I guess kind of if we are talking Mystic Pizza but not now. I also get Jennifer Garner a lot. I don't get that one either but since both of them are lovely ladies I take it as a complement and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart