Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Hal

Practically Family
Call me crazy but I miss winter and the overcoats we put away for six months..
Agreed Feraud
I miss all the overcoats...this thread...gets lost among all those threads about the intricate details of leather jackets...
I agree as well! Summer temperatures make it difficult to control one's thermal comfort by means of clothing, and can easily lead to scruffiness and sloppiness.

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
I couldn't agree more, when the weather permits I wear overcoats as much as I can.

Here's another coat from my collection, bought it not too long ago while thrift-hopping. My initial reaction when I saw this coat was that it was from the 1960s, but after searching up the label history it looks like this is an earlier label, maybe late 40s or 50s? I was hoping someone on here could give me a better idea.

tumblr_n5qgnudxPK1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5qgnudxPK1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5qgnudxPK1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5qgnudxPK1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5qgnudxPK1qhhvpco5_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's pretty hefty. That Northern wind would have a hard time getting through between the mackinaw cloth and the leather.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Here is a Long coat I fond local in thrift store .. i know it German but that is far as i know Military yes but the only marking as the one in the inside. no size no issuing number it was Pristine
I state how much i got it for but i think some of you would want to kill me fore it as it was very low price that got 30% knocked off after i picked it off the rack and saw what it was.

It goes over well with my Steampunk events

I do have more pictures

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
This is a reproduction World War 2 standard German Wehrmacht "M40" coat for all ranks.

The stamp reads "Fakemaster Augsburg suit-factory", used by one reproduction manufacturer to signal that this coat isn't original.

I assume it got to the thrift store via a reenactor.

Last edited:

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
The stitching and the way it made seem very good for a reproduction I seen theater work and it not this dead on . Also I have see in pictures the same label stamp but for one of the name in real vintage uniforms from WWII .
It has some insignia felts in a pocket still new and unused . I also showed it to two Tailor that do Professional Costume work.
They look it over and i asked if its a reproduction or real and they said real and most likely made for the person who had it.
Either way its still a great coat and it look very dead on for a reproduction if it is.

Some think it's could be east German from the 80's as they have the same label but do have a issuing stamp but also don't have that type of lining .
Anyone who does re-acting knows a re-enactor would go with the costume to be ad real as they can.
The lining would been linen not the type here. the buttons are type you cap with insignia type covers but looking them over there no sign they were used as they have.
If it was a costume it should have has some type of wear to it and there is none.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Got around to taking a better picture of my converted women's coat which I still adore.
10577029_681427131948477_2857705677331213188_n.jpg
Can't believe I forgot about this pic xD

EDIT: I just weighed the coat by weighing myself without it and whilst wearing it.
Turns out, it weighs around 15-17 pounds.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
ccorsair said:
The stitching and the way it made seem very good for a reproduction I seen theater work and it not this dead on .

Yes there are some very good reproductions out there. This is one of them.

Also I have see in pictures the same label stamp but for one of the name in real vintage uniforms from WWII .

So? It is not the same stamp in the first place and the "real vintage uniform" might have been a reproduction as well. There are many good fakes out there being declared (unknowingly) as original.
The "Falschmeister Augsburg Anzugfabrik" and "Falschmeister Augsburg Mützenfabrik" are known among knowledagble collectors as reproductions.
These stamps were intentionally placed there so they cannot be offered as original. No cap, uniform or coat with the "Falschmeister Augsburg" stamp is ever original.

I also showed it to two Tailor that do Professional Costume work.
They look it over and i asked if its a reproduction or real and they said real and most likely made for the person who had it.

Costume tailors are not experts for original WW2 military collectables. Their opinion doesn't change that it is a known reproduction.

Either way its still a great coat and it look very dead on for a reproduction if it is.

That's for sure. It is very well made and you got it for an unbeatable, great price!

Some think it's could be east German from the 80's as they have the same label but do have a issuing stamp but also don't have that type of lining .
It is not East-German, and certainly not from the 80's. They had not this "label" and were entirely differently cut. East-German coats have 10 (not 12) buttons and are made from a mouse-grey cloth, not greenish "fieldgrey". The pattern of your coat is in all details modelled after a German WW2 coat.

The lining would been linen not the type here.
Not linen but cotton twill. Another point that shows that this isn't an original. There were however also coats with warm wool lining and rayon.

If it was a costume it should have has some type of wear to it and there is none.

There are also unused or little used costumes...

In any case I don't want to talk it down.
It is extremely well made and almost identical to an original. But the stamp is a certain give-away that it is a reproduction.

Luftwaffles, ever thought about re-converting it to a man's coat by switching the buttoning?
It is after all a woman's coat right now.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Yes there are some very good reproductions out there. This is one of them.

So? It is not the same stamp in the first place and the "real vintage uniform" might have been a reproduction as well. There are many good fakes out there being declared (unknowingly) as original.
The "Falschmeister Augsburg Anzugfabrik" and "Falschmeister Augsburg Mützenfabrik" are known among knowledagble collectors as reproductions.
These stamps were intentionally placed there so they cannot be offered as original. No cap, uniform or coat with the "Falschmeister Augsburg" stamp is ever original.

Costume tailors are not experts for original WW2 military collectables. Their opinion doesn't change that it is a known reproduction.

That's for sure. It is very well made and you got it for an unbeatable, great price!

It is not East-German, and certainly not from the 80's. They had not this "label" and were entirely differently cut. East-German coats have 10 (not 12) buttons and are made from a mouse-grey cloth, not greenish "fieldgrey". The pattern of your coat is in all details modelled after a German WW2 coat.

Not linen but cotton twill. Another point that shows that this isn't an original. There were however also coats with warm wool lining and rayon.

There are also unused or little used costumes...

In any case I don't want to talk it down.
It is extremely well made and almost identical to an original. But the stamp is a certain give-away that it is a reproduction.

Luftwaffles, ever thought about re-converting it to a man's coat by switching the buttoning?
It is after all a woman's coat right now.

Ok well you point out things i can't deny I been looking up that Falschmeister Augsburg Anzugfabrik and the Tailor that look at it translated it partly.
The one WWII uniforms I seen had Falschmeister Augsburg with another name i could read.
It is finely made the stitching is very dead on to another long coat a friend has we know is vintage.
I just wish I could found the info online for the Falschmeister Augsburg Anzugfabrik being reproduction makers mark i search for months and nothing.
What would some like this normally sell for? I been offer a lot for it i turn it down as my chances of find another like it out astronomical I feel.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Here is a WW2 German military collectibles forum, where a user lists "Falschmeister Augsburg" as one of the reproduction stamps.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1479033

The name itself is perfectly revealing:
"Falschmeister" means in German "Fakemaster". Because their reproductions (often made from original cloth) are so good, they wanted to declare them as fakes.

Regarding the price... no idea. I would place it between the price for a well preserved original (ca. 500 USD) and a common reproduction (150-200 USD). Maybe around 300 USD... no guarantee.
The "Falschmeister Augsburg" reproductions are quite rare themselves... if you get a good price and don't want to wear it yourself, sell it.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Yes I translated the "Falschmeister Augsburg" faults master from Augsburg the fabric maker being the last name Anzugfabrik on the stamp. AS the list WWII with the stamp shows now everyone knows about the stamp. I search and question tons of people trying to date and find the maker and yet no one told me of this stamp being of reproduction.
It goes over Big at the Steampunk events. As you say they are some what rare so I know the odds of find another would astronomical. I think still cool find .
BTW to show you how do not know I seen "Falschmeister Augsburg" some of the military Surplus site selling with issue stamps and all but that "Falschmeister Augsburg" clearly marked .. As for my friend I'll have to break the news to them this weekend . They are going to be very unhappy on that lol

I can see there being maybe a ton of these "Falschmeister Augsburg" reproduction done during the later years for movies and TV show but this one is so very clean the blueish gray wool is just clean but the pictures don't show that really well . I taken better .
Oh well Sorry if sound like didn't believe you just relating what found till now and well I am guessing this info isn't as well known.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch