Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Definitely not something that would have been seen a few years later. Joseph Cohen lasted until the '50s, at which point it was bought out by Botany.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I saw that coat posted on facebook. It's truly over the top: a cross between a great coat and an overcoat (with a ticket pocket, no less, more normally found on sports jackets or covert coats!). I'd say that's pretty damn rare.

But I'm not sure i like it. I think the great coat buttoning style is a bit too much for my tastes.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Really nice....I have a question on wool material....what would be considered a really heavy weight in a wool over coat? I ask as I am looking at a etsy store where they make custom clothing, and they list a variety of materials that they are willing to work with you to custom make your clothing, from suits shirts, vests, even spats, but the overcoats and greatcoats are super detailed. Due to the pricing not being too expensive for made to order, but not cheap ( $900.00 range) I was wondering about what the weight of the fabric should be for a fairly heavy coat. I would consider spending the money on one for my Husband, but not that much if the coat is sort of "light weight" instead of something heavy weight. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Really nice....I have a question on wool material....what would be considered a really heavy weight in a wool over coat? I ask as I am looking at a etsy store where they make custom clothing, and they list a variety of materials that they are willing to work with you to custom make your clothing, from suits shirts, vests, even spats, but the overcoats and greatcoats are super detailed. Due to the pricing not being too expensive for made to order, but not cheap ( $900.00 range) I was wondering about what the weight of the fabric should be for a fairly heavy coat. I would consider spending the money on one for my Husband, but not that much if the coat is sort of "light weight" instead of something heavy weight. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

36-42oz is regarded as the normal range for heavyweight overcoats by vintage standards, I believe, but it's never been too clear to me if those numbers refer to ounce per running yard/meter (that would be 1 1/2 yard/meter or so in full width cloth) or ounce per square yard or ounce per square meter.
A WWII Greatcoat that I own is marked 32oz. The perceived weight of my pre-WWII civilian overcoats varies a lot but is in the same league as the Greatcoat, and some are noticably heavier than the Greatcoat, with a similar back length.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I picked this up on ebay. I couldn't resist the shawl collar. It's a 1950s British car coat. It is actually meant to be worn over a jacket etc, but it's a size too small so I wear it as a heavy winter jacket. It has three buttons and for some silly reason I forgot to button the third one:
10914779_1442886255936329_4115001425530324444_o.jpg

10903979_1442886122603009_4658800459226227827_o.jpg

10620637_1442886285936326_7697716535559002089_n.jpg

10419967_1442886182603003_5586944194413959880_n.jpg

It's made from overcoat weight melton cloth.

I picked this up on ebay. I couldn't resist the shawl collar. It's a 1950s British car coat. It is actually meant to be worn over a jacket etc, but it's a size too small so I wear it as a heavy winter jacket. It has three buttons and for some silly reason I forgot to button the third one:

It's made from overcoat weight melton cloth.

Nice TT. Looks great as a fitted winter coat! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy