Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, TT.
I seem to remember a few more catalogues listings of buttoned-belts, but I can't find them anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the style was indeed popular throughout the 20s.
The greenish coat with its pleated back and heavily flared skirt looks almost like a direct descendant of the WWI Greatcoats. That particular cut I imagine may have disappeared a few years sooner.

P.S.: For anyone interested, I just listed the 1948 Howard Clothes Lampaka in the Classifieds.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The greenish coat with its pleated back and heavily flared skirt looks almost like a direct descendant of the WWI Greatcoats.

the amount of olive, olive drab and khaki in early 20s catalogues is surprising given that it wasn't long after WW1.
you'd expect the manufacturers would want to move on from anything military inspired, but there's loads of it.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
the amount of olive, olive drab and khaki in early 20s catalogues is surprising given that it wasn't long after WW1.
you'd expect the manufacturers would want to move on from anything military inspired, but there's loads of it.

Oh, it wasn't the color I was thinking of, although that of course emphasizes the resemblance. I was referring to the heavily flared skirt. That feature was, I believe, rather conspicuous in WWI Greatcoats, although I haven't seen many of those and can only assume that there were many different styles. By the Second World War, Greatcoats still had some flare but not that much.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Oh, it wasn't the color I was thinking of, although that of course emphasizes the resemblance.

sorry, yes i got that, but just went off on a ramble about the amount of military-influenced stuff in general that was about then. :p

the flared skirt was big in the late teens -early 20s, and, of course, emphasised by the contrast with the slim trousers.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
sorry, yes i got that, but just went off on a ramble about the amount of military-influenced stuff in general that was about then. :p

Was it because of having to use up surplus cloth that had produced to make uniforms but had not been needed when war ended? I did read somewhere about fabric flooding onto the market post WW1. So if the market was flooded, cloth price should fall, meaning manufacturers use military cloth for civilian coats. Or something like that.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, that's certainly possible. are you citing a British or U.S. anecdote ?

though you would think that, after a war, the public would be ready for non-military influenced style. 'new hope' and 'time for a change' all of that usual stuff.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
TT, that's certainly possible. are you citing a British or U.S. anecdote ?

though you would think that, after a war, the public would be ready for non-military influenced style. 'new hope' and 'time for a change' all of that usual stuff.

I believe it was an American source. Maybe the fact that WW1 had a lesser impact on the USA than on Europe, meant that military clothing was less of an issue.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
some interesting coats from 20s catalogues...

Charles William Stores, Fall-Winter '21:

CW_FW_21_coat_a_zpsac382cd0.jpeg

Charles William Stores, Fall-Winter '21:

CW_FW_21_coat_b_zps301e10d4.jpeg

National Cloak and Suit Company, Fall-Winter '22:

Nat_CampC_Co_FW_22_coat_a_zpsf7df74f2.jpeg

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
I like whats being shown on this thread!
Here's a coat from my collection, I'm guessing it is from the early to mid 20s because of the high waist, and some of the other coats already posted from that period bare some similarities. I feel like pocket and lapel shape combined with the fabrics, buttons and topstitching help give an idea of era though I could be wrong.

tumblr_nfzr579Yj31qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfzr579Yj31qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfzr579Yj31qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfzr579Yj31qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfzr579Yj31qhhvpco5_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo