Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
sellfedoralounge057.jpg

I just adore this on you. Brings out your eyes!

VB

kbadr

Familiar Face
I've been hunting for an inexpensive overcoat for some time. Keep hoping I'll stumble on a nice wool one at a thrift store. No luck so far.

What's the etiquette regarding overcoat color? Surely we're not expected to have a black coat and a brown coat to coordinate with whatever color suit we might be wearing that day? Overcoats are expensive off the rack!

Vintage Betty

kbadr said:
I've been hunting for an inexpensive overcoat for some time. Keep hoping I'll stumble on a nice wool one at a thrift store. No luck so far.

What's the etiquette regarding overcoat color? Surely we're not expected to have a black coat and a brown coat to coordinate with whatever color suit we might be wearing that day? Overcoats are expensive off the rack!

Actually, you will eventually find that elusive bargain. Probably right after you've spent a lot of dough on an expensive overcoat. lol

Thrifting takes time and patience. I found an overcoat for $5 a couple weeks ago in a thrift shop (see my previous post in this thread), but that's rare. You might also ask around; my husband got a very nice overcoat from his brother who didn't want it anymore. He has since passed it on to someone else.

It also doesn't hurt to chat up the people in a full scale retail shop. My husband needed a coat for very cold weather and we happenened to be looking on a sale day in a major retail store at the end of last winter. He doesn't know fabric, really, just tried on a full cashmere coat and declared it "soft". He than looked at the price tag and visibly blanched. But frankly, it was the warmest coat in the store and looked great on him. We were discussing the high cost of the coat when a very nice salesperson came over. After a few minutes, we learned the following:
  • He earned commission from our sale
  • He had a quota to fulfill and the sale of the coat would put him "over the top" of his quota
  • The coat was about to be reduced in price in a couple days
The nice salesperson really wanted the sale and asked if we could wait, than went over to his boss to get the extra discount for the upcoming sale, and somehow (I don't remember) got another discount for us.

What started out as an extraordinarily expensive purchase for something my husband needed turned into something quite affordable. The final price turned out to be 25% of the original retail price.

Most gentlemen of the Lounge have a single all-purpose overcoat. But certain gentlemen have the time, patience and sometimes the ability to match coats to their wardrobe. You should get a coat you can wear throughout the fall-winter season, and only get another if you will wear it or you are interested in the color matching your wardrobe. Of course, the thickness/density of the coat is another factor, and that is based on your weather or travels and also might be needed for a second overcoat.

But in general, most gentlemen start with one overcoat as the foundation of their wardrobe.

Vintage Betty

Feraud

Bartender
Vintage Betty said:
Thrifting takes time and patience.
These are good words worth repeating.
If there are thrift stores in your area you should make it a habit to visit them.
This past year has been a good one for me in terms of vintage shopping. From thrift stores alone (not vintage shops or Ebay) I found 2 sharkskin suits, a Burberry trench, 30's tuxedo, WWII trousers and pinks. That is the short list.
Do your legwork and you will find some great items.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Feraud said:
These are good words worth repeating.
If there are thrift stores in your area you should make it a habit to visit them.
This past year has been a good one for me in terms of vintage shopping. From thrift stores alone (not vintage shops or Ebay) I found 2 sharkskin suits, a Burberry trench, 30's tuxedo, WWII trousers and pinks. That is the short list.
Do your legwork and you will find some great items.

Yes (and congrats without jealousy), but it might help to live in a helluva town.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
kbadr said:
What's the etiquette regarding overcoat color? Surely we're not expected to have a black coat and a brown coat to coordinate with whatever color suit we might be wearing that day?
Charcoal grey would be my color choice for a first/only coat as it will coordinate best with most wardrobes, which tend to lean towards blues, greys and black. But to answer your question, an overcoat should work in harmony with what is worn under it; The more extensive a wardrobe's color palette, the more pieces of outerwear will be required. And let's not forget hats. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Persian Lamb!

Vintage Betty said:
shiny black PERSIAN lamb.
My grandmother had a Persian lamb coat and my father had a charcoal grey overcoat with PL collar/lapels. You don't see PL very much these days.:(

Feraud

Bartender
D-man, what is the scoop on that jacket?
I notice the black (?) trim on the pockets. Is it dated? Any maker/union labels?
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The black trim is satin, as are the lapels. It's a tux jacket, but that doesn't mean anything to me as far as where I can wear it.

This is the only tag on it. '50s or '60s maybe?
In any event, the place was along the lincoln highway.
IMG_4540.jpg

Vintage Betty

carter said:
There are many nice coats on this thread but THIS

overcoat10d.jpg

is SMOKIN'!

VintageBetty, I love that coat! When can we see it on action? :D

Thank you Carter! I posted a note in the "What are you wearing today?" thread last Sunday. I apparently lost my neck when I puchased this overcoat. lol I'll take a better photo when it gets colder here in CA. When I took these I also forgot to buckle the belt. :eusa_doh: I think I look a little stout in it. What do you think?

betty_102007e.JPG
betty_102007f.JPG

Rooster

Practically Family
OK, I finally get to add to this thread. I just picked this up last week. It has either the '36 to '39 label or the '39 to '49 label. I can't make out if the last digit is a 6 or a nine. Super heavy coat , I love it.:eusa_clap
me3.jpg

me2.jpg

me5.jpg

nulty

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Overcoat #7 - 1930's Addis Company Stretch Overcoat. I purchased quite a bit from a dealer via mail, and he threw this in sight unseen with one of my orders, saying "I think this will fit you" and "you are probably the only person I know who will fit this".

He sold it to me for $35, and this is probably the single most used item in my vintage wardrobe. I've had it repaired twice, the lining is shattered, and I plan on having it re-made once I've worn it out. Actual color on this and all black overcoats are deep, rich black.

overcoat7a.JPG
overcoat7b.JPG

overcoat7c.JPG
overcoat7d.JPG

This is a gorgeous coat Vintage Betty.The Addis Company was the place to shop in Syracuse until it closed in the 70's. I think the Addis building still has the old name on the side, peeling paint and all. I used to shop there with my Grandmother..Actually we would go there to buy cashews for the table at Christmas...:eek:fftopic:

I have a few vintage ladies coats from Addis....It was place with real style....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ