Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

TCameron

Familiar Face
Is there a way to get a men's overcoat that reaches just above my ankles? Is there a specific cut or coat style that would suit that need. I have noticed that women's coats come down considerably longer than men's, leaving me to believe it stems from the old tradition for women to be modest and not show much of anything. Any help would be appreciated. I have plenty of coats, but most only come down just past my knees, and it's tough finding any coat down farther than my knees. I am 6' 3" if that helps with making suggestions for me. Thanks,

T Cameron.

Jovan

Suspended
Having worn one for a costume as Neo, I don't advise wearing something like that all the time. It gets in the way -- and stepped on easily -- especially when going down stairs.

volatile

A-List Customer
TCameron said:
Is there a way to get a men's overcoat that reaches just above my ankles? Is there a specific cut or coat style that would suit that need. I have noticed that women's coats come down considerably longer than men's, leaving me to believe it stems from the old tradition for women to be modest and not show much of anything. Any help would be appreciated. I have plenty of coats, but most only come down just past my knees, and it's tough finding any coat down farther than my knees. I am 6' 3" if that helps with making suggestions for me. Thanks,

T Cameron.

Gentlemen's Emporium have a number of repro coats that might suit your wishes - a linen duster, a trail duster and a rifle frock coat...

TCameron

Familiar Face
Noted. Makes total sense, I'll have to settle for some thing mid calf range then. Thanks for the advice,

T Cameron

Jovan

Suspended
Indeed. With that said, make your decision. Don't let me stop you if you really want such a style. You may have to get it custom is the only thing.

Also, a knee length coat should keep your legs warm enough if you're wearing thermals and wool winter socks.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is my overcoat, it's as long as I'd go as even at mid-calf it can get hung up getting into and out of vehicles and, as mentioned, going up and down stairs.

smallerguy.jpg

TCameron

Familiar Face
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have looked at the Gentleman's emporium coats before, but I can't deal with polyester. It's a matter of being to picky about materials. I prefer something of a softer wool, or cashmere. I will continue to look. I've been at all of the vintage places in Boston recently, but anything for a 6' 3" man is tough to find. I will have to keep looking or settle for a modern coat, which is fine, but not as conversational as it could be. After all, as selfish as it is, most loungers like to engage in discussions about what they wear, and are proud to show they go the extra mile. Cheers,

T. Cameron

PatC

New in Town
Barbour Burghley

TCameron, have you considered the Barbour Burghley waxed cotton coat ?They reach well below the knee and have a classic look to them that you may appreciate.
I wear a Barbour double twist merino wool Tweed coat, which is of a Shooting jacket style popular with many Country folk both here in Ireland and in the U.K., it may however be shorter than what you have been looking for. Here's a picture of it though, to give you an idea of the style.

IMG_3876.jpg

All the best,
Pat

TCameron

Familiar Face
I have seen the Barbour ones before, but I would be looking at something a little dressier. I stopped by my local Burberry store today and tried on a trench for length, and it didn't come down much longer than my vintage one that I own. The hunt continues . . .

Marty M.

Vendor
Old man winter keeps on blowing.

This is my favorite overcoat. I've posted this one before on a different thread. It's a Cashmere Navy Stripe. Made by Cardinal of Canada. The scarf is a cashmere and silk blend grey stripe.
Marty Mathis

IMG_4327.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4328.jpg
[/IMG]

AlanC

PatC said:
TCameron, have you considered the Barbour Burghley waxed cotton coat ?They reach well below the knee and have a classic look to them that you may appreciate.
I wear a Barbour double twist merino wool Tweed coat, which is of a Shooting jacket style popular with many Country folk both here in Ireland and in the U.K., it may however be shorter than what you have been looking for. Here's a picture of it though, to give you an idea of the style.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/pcjr112/IMG_3876.jpg

I love that Barbour!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
This is mine:
l_e97dd0633a46d50e2dd0f8c7aa21f244.jpg

I just want to point out that I did not miss a button. ;)
The button was already missing and I sewed a replacement on this morning. This just happened to be the best pic of me. lol

Back detail:
l_b181f4c7de85d8a282709c08317354c6.jpg

It was my mom's circa 1970. :D

Vintage Betty

I recently acquired a REAL 1960's Christian Lacroix overcoat from Paris. Someone donated it to our thrift shop, and after numerous threats, I got my little hands on it. :::swoon:::

This is the real deal, an actual piece of Couture! I am so excited to share this with you. I just have to bring it to the tailor to fix a couple small problems and than I will post. It's simply smashing.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner