Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Marty M.

Vendor
The new womens coat.

imoldfashioned said:
Lately I've been wearing a gentleman's Harris Tweed overcoat.
QM2007037.jpg

It looks nothing like a gentleman's coat on you. You look great Ms. imoldfashioned. I love your style.
Marty Mathis

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Harris Tweed does battle with the winter elements...

This baby had more than its' fair share of winter weather thrown at it on the Canadian border from Atlantic winds to minus 5 temp, and it coped 'very' well. I guess the Scots on the West Coast and Outer Hebrides (where Harris Tweed is woven) have 'an idea' of what bad weather can be like.

USATRIP07022.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Nice jacket. Probably late 40s or early 50s. There are photos of my grandad wearing a very similar one. Collar/lapel treatment will be definitive.

Yours is partially lined with taped seams, right?

Looks very much like Paddy's one.

bk

Yes, that's a perfect description of the interior--glad to know my hunch on the date is most likely correct.

The sleeves on the coat are the perfect length for me, really rare generally but especially in a man's coat.

Good eye--I loaned the coat to Paddy while he was on the East Coast since the temperature was about 50 degrees colder than glorious San Francisco.

Starius

Practically Family
Oh wonderful and wise gurus of overcoatery,
yours truly humbly seeks sage advice of a predicament most troubling:

Can one iron a thick wool overcoat which is unpleasantly afflicted
with creases or is steam pressing the garment the prescription for such troubles?

I apologize if it is a silly question but I do not wish to mistreat said overcoat and the worrysome kinks have caused kinks of worry upon my brow.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Starius said:

with creases or is steam pressing the garment the prescription for such troubles?

I apologize if it is a silly question but I do not wish to mistreat said overcoat and the worrysome kinks have caused kinks of worry upon my brow.

Actually, the answer to your worries may be as close as your bathroom.

Put your coat on a hanger and leave it there to steam while you and members of your family take their showers or baths. Try this for a week and report back.

I packed my wool overcoat and shipped it back home after a trip. The coat got creases, and I used the above method. After 3 days I started seeing an improvement. After a week, my creases were gone.

Vintage Betty

Feraud

Bartender
PADDY said:
This baby had more than its' fair share of winter weather thrown at it on the Canadian border from Atlantic winds to minus 5 temp, and it coped 'very' well. I guess the Scots on the West Coast and Outer Hebrides (where Harris Tweed is woven) have 'an idea' of what bad weather can be like.

USATRIP07022.jpg
Nice winter wear Paddy.
This picture reminds me of the Noreaster we were supposed to see this weekend. All we had was a bit of wind, rain, and sleet.
I was hoping for snow but was able to run around in a wool sweater and cap.

AlanC

I might as well put this pic of my camelhair polo here, too. It's an Eldridge for Rothman's in New York. Apparently Eldridge was their store brand. I don't really know how old it is, but it's quite well made.

p1060422ra3.jpg

It's possible I posted an earlier picture of this in this thread, but here it is (again!), anyway.

Marty M.

Vendor
No iron, please.

Starius said:

Vintage Betty's idea is a great one. People use to hang their garments in the steamy bathroom all of the time. If that doesn't work, take it to the cleaners, they'll know what to do.

carebear

Feraud said:
Nice winter wear Paddy.
This picture reminds me of the Noreaster we were supposed to see this weekend. All we had was a bit of wind, rain, and sleet.
I was hoping for snow but was able to run around in a wool sweater and cap.

I'm in freaking Anchorage, Alaska and we've yet to see 4 inches of global warming.

Stop hording it you Lower 48-ers! :mad:

Starius

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice Vintage Betty & Marty.

The hanging it in the bathroom idea sounds like a great one, I will definitely be trying that out!

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned said:
Good eye--I loaned the coat to Paddy while he was on the East Coast since the temperature was about 50 degrees colder than glorious San Francisco.

Do I see a Globe-Trotting Coat in the future? lol

VB

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
Do I see a Globe-Trotting Coat in the future? lol

VB

LOL! Perhaps, but not my Harris Tweed--I love it too much send it around the world alone! If I go to the UK next year (as I hope to do) I'll try to bring it with me though.

Marty M.

Vendor
Todays overcoat.

I've posted picture's of this coat before, but the pics were very blury. I hope that these are a little better. Thanks.
Marty Mathis

P1010008-1.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010010.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010019.jpg
[/IMG]

vonwotan

Practically Family
That's a very handsome overcoat - I find myself wearing more and more tweed and love to combine it with a heavy silk scarf as you do in that last photograph.:eusa_clap

Marty M.

Vendor
Thanks vonwotan

vonwotan said:
That's a very handsome overcoat - I find myself wearing more and more tweed and love to combine it with a heavy silk scarf as you do in that last photograph.:eusa_clap

Thanks vonwotan. This coat is like an old friend. I've bought it about seventeen years ago. it's seen a lot of wear in these minnesota winters. I had a new lining made for it two years ago. So now it's like new again (well, kind of).
I'm with you on the silk scarf wearing. The colors out now in silk scarfs have never been better. The flip side of the above scarf is cashmere. Thanks.
Marty

carebear

I'll have to get a pic but my stupid boss came in gloating this morning wearing a fantastic coat from Nordies with his grandfather's heavy silk, cashmere backed, scarf.

I don't know if it would fit me. If I try it on and it does, you all don't know anything about a mysterious disappearance. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk