Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Marty M.

Vendor
That Fletch, he's a bad .........(sung as in Shaft)

Love it Fletch. You need to have the theme from "Shaft" playing when you wear it.
Marty Mathis

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great coat, and great complete outfit. Sort of like an old gangster movie where someone's been slapped around and won't spill the beans, and then "Big Louie" walks in and just stands there looking like that and just stares at the guy and all the secrets come tumbling out...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Marty M. said:
P1010019.jpg

That's gorgeous fabric Marty.

:eek:fftopic:
I have to visit my mother, probably in the spring, and when I'm in Mpls. I'm definitely stopping by your shop. I seem to recall thinking "skyways" when reading about your place--you're downtown, yes?

Great find Fletch--that coat looks like it was made for you!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I just got a question in the Powder Room about one of my coats; since I've taken pictures I thought I'd share them here too.

1940's wool coat trimmed with fake persian lamb. It has padded shoulders and slash pockets in the front. The "fur" is worn away at the edges in some places, I need to blacken the underfabric so it's not as visible. It's surprisingly warm:

blackcoat.jpg

The front

blackcoatcollar.jpg

A better look at the collar

blackcoatback.jpg

The back has a pleat that starts mid-back (barely visible here)

blackcoathook.jpg

The best picture I could get of one of the four heavy hook and eye closures

Another fake "persian lamb" coat this time with 3/4 length sleeves, probably from the late 1950's/early 1960's? I wore this one to death (thus the button that's ready to fall off at the lower left) but it's too big for me now.

50coat.jpg

The front. The back is plain.

50coatlabel.jpg

I get a kick out of the graphics on the label.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
Sort of like an old gangster movie where someone's been slapped around and won't spill the beans, and then "Big Louie" walks in and just stands there looking like that and just stares at the guy and all the secrets come tumbling out...

I think I know just what you mean...Here is the first guy I ever saw wearing a coat like this that made me say, "Man, that is cool."
m_schranker.jpg

Schraenker, the boss of the Berlin mob, interrogating a baby killing creep in M, 1931. Of course everything in this movie looks cool. It's just that kind of movie.

Rooster

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Fabulous coat! I love this!

And you're right Fletch, everything in M does look cool. One of my favorite movies.
Hmmm.....My kind of gal, into rubber clothing.....lol

fishmeok

Vendor
Here's some of my stuff. I have WAY too many of these things. In addition to everything else I also have one of those French-made copies of the WWII German rubberized cycle coats mentioned above.
Favorite first- this is a wool regulation officers overcoat dated 1953 essentially unworn and like new.

DSCN2701.jpg
DSCN2700.jpg

I've had this WWII US Army "horse blanket" overcoat since I was 16 (that would be 1986):D

DSCN2702.jpg
DSCN2703.jpg

This is some sort of a Dutch jeep coat from the '50's. It has a pile liner, leg straps, HUGE collar, and is stiff as a board. I have actually worn this a few times riding my sidecar rig in the winter. (see here-scroll down a bit: http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/Mark.htm

DSCN2691.jpg
DSCN2692.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
fishmeok said:
Favorite first- this is a wool regulation officers overcoat dated 1953 essentially unworn and like new.

DSCN2701.jpg

I got one of those recently with the detachable liner. Big and heavy.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This one comes to me by way of Nick Charles, who instantly became one of my favorite people. I'm wearing it all the time. The cloth is very heavy and thick, and it's quite warm.
Polo coat with belt back and cuffs with button.

IMG_6659.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
ZZ Top Tops.

scotrace said:
This one comes to me by way of Nick Charles, who instantly became one of my favorite people. I'm wearing it all the time. The cloth is very heavy and thick, and it's quite warm.
Polo coat with belt back and cuffs with button.

IMG_6659.jpg

Scott, I think that ZZ Top wrote that song about a "Sharp Dresses Man" after you buddy.
Merry Christmas,
Marty Mathis

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Figured I ought to throw this one from yesterday. I think I posted it earlier in the thread, but here it is, anyway. Modern RTW double-breasted herringbone Chesterfield by Gieves & Hawkes, made in England:

07dec23ghre4.jpg

obiwan

Familiar Face
AlanC said:
Figured I ought to throw this one from yesterday. I think I posted it earlier in the thread, but here it is, anyway. Modern RTW double-breasted herringbone Chesterfield by Gieves & Hawkes, made in England:

07dec23ghre4.jpg

Beautiful coat Alan, were you able to order it online? I checked the G&H site but did not see any outerwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana