Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I found this one today.
It was originally from my great-great grandpa's men's clothing store that opened in the early 20th century.
100% wool with a special water resistant treatment. In unused condition with the inside pocket still partially sewn shut (no union tag could be found because of this). Roughly a size 42. It is a very nice black, though in the pictures it looks grayish.

Can anyone help me with the time period? I was thinking maybe the 1930s.

Front:
DSCN0590.jpg

Lapels:
DSCN0585.jpg

Sleeve cuff:
DSCN0591.jpg

Tags, "Marbury Coat":
DSCN0588.jpg

The fabric has tiny ridges:
DSCN0592.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Early 1920's with Edwardian influence, and the factory existing most likely in the late 1800's at least. Company was also known as "J.C. Peterson Clothiers"

Vintage Betty

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Early 1920's with Edwardian influence, and the factory existing most likely in the late 1800's at least. Company was also known as "J.C. Peterson Clothiers"

Vintage Betty

Thank you, Vintage Betty. It does have some Edwardian influence, now that I look at it closer.

J.C. Petersen was my great-great grandfather.

Vintage Betty

thunderw21 said:
Thank you, Vintage Betty. It does have some Edwardian influence, now that I look at it closer.

J.C. Petersen was my great-great grandfather.

That is very cool! There is a referece to your family's store here on a book called Stories from Swedeland - Page 245 and a text reference in this advertisement and a book called The Railroad Trainman - page 903 available at google books.

There is also information on your family at the Peterson Family Genealogy Forum.

I could be wrong, but the coat looks like it was made in the late teens to be sold in the early 1920's, due to the cuffs, which look like 1919 or so cuffs, for some reason. I could look it up, if you really want to know, as I'm just guessing. ;)

Vintage Betty

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Oh my.... I thought the Men of the Lounge thread was good... I think I like this one better!! ;)
Very handsome gentlemen~ oh, nice coats too! :eusa_clap
Nikki

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
That is very cool! There is a referece to your family's store here on a book called Stories from Swedeland - Page 245 and a text reference in this advertisement and a book called The Railroad Trainman - page 903 available at google books.

There is also information on your family at the Peterson Family Genealogy Forum.

I could be wrong, but the coat looks like it was made in the late teens to be sold in the early 1920's, due to the cuffs, which look like 1919 or so cuffs, for some reason. I could look it up, if you really want to know, as I'm just guessing. ;)

Vintage Betty

Wow, thank you! It's very neat to read about my relative in a book.

As for the coat, you've already gone to enough trouble, I'll take your word for it. ;) It is very similar to other Edwardian pieces I've seen in both cut and especially the fabric.

Thanks again!

Marty M.

Vendor
Mdavids2000, those are great pictures. It's great to see someone take the time to take pictures like those. Thank you for sharing.
Marty Mathis

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Totally 'adore' that coat (and only 20 Euros!!)

The double breast, the belted back, the wonderful pointed lapels...it just sings to me!!:eusa_clap

Vintage Betty

mdavids2000 said:
Here is my "new overcoat"
It's a org. 1930's overcoat found it on a market for just 20,- euro's

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I think these are some of the nicest photos I've seen on the Lounge. Thank you for sharing! You are all looking wonderful!

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1950's Youthcraft Swing Coat with Mink-Lined Hood

1950's Youthcraft Swing Coat with Mink-Lined Hood

With the beginning of the New Year, and everything fresh and new, I have decided to start my cleaning again. My long-term regimin includes going through my storage, cleaning items, bagging items as well as selling them.

I started with the coats. I pulled some more items for you to see.

Wear the hood up or down. The material is incredibly soft brushed wool - almost like cashmere.

swing_jacket1.jpg
swing_jacket3.jpg
swing_jacket4.jpg

swing_jacket5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider