Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Here's some more pictures of the details on that overcoat I posted previously.
Stitching behind the collar

Details behind the lapel. Seems there is basting stitching (forgive my ignorance if that's the wrong term) exposed. Also, in the bottom-left there is some hair coming through the fabric. I think it's horse hair or something of the sort, and I think this makes up the wadding around the shoulders.

Fastener button under the collar

Details of the pocket. At quite an angle, and the lining is at a step, so that actually the front of the shoulder is in contact with the outer cloth.

Stitching at the back of the shoulder, around the armhole.

Buttons for fastening the bottom of the coat against the wind etc.

I should also mention that the shoulder seam slopes decidedly backwards. I understand that this indicates pre-1940s on suits, but does the same apply for coats?
Thanks folks.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The one in the second shot looks like a WWI overcoat. You used to be able to find racks of them in the used-clothing stores in N.Y. Really heavy.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Similar overall, and close in era, but extremely different in all the details.
That said, it's a beast of a coat. The button on rear belt likely originally had button on quarter belts to form a full belt. This same style belt was common on the longer "half-belt" leather jackets of the 1930s-1950s, and like he ones on many of those jackets, was probably removed fairly early on.

IXL

One Too Many
Well, except for it being extremely different in all the details, I was thinking "Great Coat." My actual exposure to a great coat has been limited to watching "Which Way to the Front?" on the late,late,early,early show:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's definitely more of a work coat than a dress coat. Like mackinaws of that era, it's unlined (except for the sleeves). Back when they made coats like this from wool thick enough to provide all the insulation necessary. I only wish it had a label in it somewhere.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I haven't gotten around to measuring it yet, but I think it's in the 36-38 range, but with really, really short sleeves.

guygardner

A-List Customer
German Leather Overcoat, very big, very heavy:
il_fullxfull.835133096_koed_zpstpge7eon.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo