Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

willyto

One Too Many
Picked up this rare 1930s wrap around overcoat a few days ago, i have't seen many examples of this type before.
Unfortunately there are no labels to identify brand what so ever, which is very frustrating. I do believe it is British, the fabric feels a bit ruff like worsted wool, and superbly tailored.

Cheers
Mike

View attachment 134619

View attachment 134620

View attachment 134621
Great overcoat.

That must be the one recently for sale on UK ebay. I didn't bid because the shoulders were too big for me unfortunately.

You got a hell of a deal for it, they're not very common.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Vintage overcoat I found last week
41938971_2726784217356066_5816493798871531520_o.jpg

42045251_2726784114022743_4191436971890966528_o.jpg

According to The Fedora Lounge Guide to Union Labels, it's a 1949 tag (1949-1961), so it's a 1950's era?
IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ and ^^ ...excellent coats, guys! Michael is all set for winter.
Fabiovenetc, how cold does it get in Brazil? do you have much use for heavy coat like the one you're wearing?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's Eddie Somethingorother in a fancy overcoat. I won't show a rear view because the back/undersides of the sleeves are in a shiny lining material (which makes no sense) but the overall cut of the coat is rather sharp even if only a skinny person could wear it.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Michael, thanks very much for your advice in this matter. I took a shot at my Hugo Boss overcoat today and had a lot of success, which I put down to the high quality of the cloth. The biggest issue was the iron marks on the front chest. I steamed it good and then rubbed it in circular motions with my linen cloth (which I use to protect wool when ironing), and about 95% of the marks are gone. I hope they don't return of their own volition, but I suspect they won't. I also dealt with some wrinkles in a few other places pretty successfully. The tip of one lapel still refuses to uncurl, however, so perhaps I'll give that another shot another time, or just leave it alone. Anyways, success! and I didn't have to take a chance on another cleaner.
Update on this... I pulled out that overcoat on the weekend and had another look. The marks and stuff that I had though I'd gotten rid of are still there, so in desperation I grabbed a cloth and rubbed it and it helped. The cloth was one of those soft fuzzy cloths you use to wipe a laptop screen and it seemed to help bring back some of the nap which had been flattened down by the dry cleaners. It looks a bit better. In any case, I'm wearing the coat this winter. What the hell. I love the coat and even though it doesn't look as good as did before, it still looks the stuff (and got a compliment on it).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Probably a made-to-order coat to judge by the tags, i.e. not necessarily full custom but a special order style/cloth/size. 1937 huh? It's in great shape!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I've always had a soft spot for this overcoat which Slick Willie wore while in the WH. I like the high button stance and proportions and length but it could only look okay on a tall man.

gettyimages-51968954-1024x1024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points