Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc Chevalier, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Al Pacino

14110938-7083629-image-m-67_1559153600540.jpg

2. Doctor Damage

This is not really an overcoat, it's more of an Afghan cloak or something, but interesting nonetheless.

Leopold_Von_Ranke_1877.jpg

Michael A likes this.
  3. Doctor Damage

Interesting repairs to what is clearly and older overcoat: leather strips added to fix wear-and-tear.

gettyimages-1133260221-2048x2048 Dominic Grieve.jpg

4. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

I swore off buying any more overcoats. That lasted until the first cool day. Ha ha.
    Malcolm Kenneth
    [​IMG]IMG_6444 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    Sorry about the bad exposure there.
    [​IMG]IMG_6456 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    More than a little wear and tear on this one. Made sometime in the 30s or 70s.
    [​IMG]IMG_6464 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6466 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    Standard sort of herringbone in a heavy wool
    [​IMG]IMG_6467 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    It was 40 degrees F here this moring, tis the season,
    Michael

5. Doctor Damage

^ That's another excellent coat, Michael. I have a coat in the same herringbone pattern, same colours, and it's very versatile. Crombie of course is a long-time producer of some of the best overcoat cloth (and coats).

Michael A likes this.
  6. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks Doctor D. The only reason I bought it was because it was Crombie cloth. As you can maybe tell from the photos it's a particularly heavy wool. More hang than drape on this one. There is a fair amount of wear and tear on it, but it will probably find use at least a few times this winter. I like the fit of it well enough.

Thanks,
    Michael

7. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just found this black Jos A. Bank wool overcoat at GoodWill for only $12! Considering how hard it is for me to find a wool coat that fits comfortably, I couldn't pass it up for the price!
    [​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat and Michael A like this.
  8. Doctor Damage

^ I've got a Joseph Banks trenchcoat and it's a well-made, heavy bit of mid-level outerwear. I paid a lot more than $12 though! Good find, Bushman. Should be just the thing for the windy city. (Btw, I hear you about finding properly fitting wool coats, they seem less forgiving than raincoats, hard to get the shoulders, torso and length just right but when you do it's delight.)

Bushman likes this.
  9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Paying a lot more than $12 resonated with me. This trench coat had my name on it, how could I refuse? Just don't tell my missus.
    Tweed_Trench_Coat..jpg Tweed_Trench_Coat_1.jpg

10. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

11. Doctor Damage

THAT coat is extremely excellent, Michael. I love it. It's got a relaxed look but not casual, and the cloth reminds me of military overcoats but of course it's got none of the 'baggage' that comes with that. Great find. Yeah, you don't need any more coats, but this is easily one of your best, maybe your best.

Michael A likes this.
  12. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks Dr. D. It is pretty close in color to the US Army dark shade drab that was introduced in the 40s. But the cut is definitely not military. There is a lot of movement in it when walking. I tend to think of London Fog in terms of trench coats, but they made some very, very nice wool coats, too. I've seen, but passed on, several that had extraordinary fabrics, but were too large for me. This one is 40R, so right in my bailiwick. So I'm happy, but I need another coat rack. And bigger rooms. Ha ha.

Thanks,
    Michael