Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your photography

Tango Yankee said:
Our granddaughter, Bella, was watching the birds at the bird feeders when I picked up my camera. One thing I like about it is that she didn't go into one of her usual poses when she saw me with the camera.

That drives me nuts whenever I photograph friends. I'll go through the trouble of carefully composing the shot (I even tell them to be natural) but when I snap the picture they assume a stiff artificial pose.

This morning at Sam's Club -- A 1948 Seagrave Fire Engine

DSCF2503.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

DSCF2504.jpg

DSCF2505.jpg

DSCF2515.jpg

DSCF2516.jpg

DSCF2517.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That drives me nuts whenever I photograph friends. I'll go through the trouble of carefully composing the shot (I even tell them to be natural) but when I snap the picture they assume a stiff artificial pose.
I never take pictures of people when they're expecting it for that exact reason (meaning most of my pictures with people on them were taken without consent :p). Even when taking pictures of my dad at a jazz festival last weekend I did so whilst he wasn't looking.

Marla

A-List Customer
Re: Candid/Street Photography

People tend to be on their guard when they see a camera emerge. With the prevalence of point-and-shoot digital cameras and video devices it seems like the general population should be more or less accustomed to being on the receiving end of a camera lens, unlike in the pre-digital age when cameras were less user-friendly and therefore less ubiquitous. The opposite seems to be the case, with people preconditioned to smiling and posing and generally acting inhibited and unnatural. If you want to succeed in candid photography the best thing to do is keep the camera visible at all times so that your subject(s) become accustomed to its presence. Have it around your neck on a strap even when you aren't shooting. Taking your camera out just to take a shot and then putting it away has the air of formality and will 'alert' your subject that you are about to photograph them.

It also helps to keep a low profile. A bulky DSLR with a huge telephoto lens is more conspicuous than a small, easily portable camera. As the photographer, you want to draw as little attention to yourself and your equipment as possible. The great street photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson used only a 35mm Leica--the strangers he photographed seem unaware of his presence, even when he was only a few feet away.

Marla

A-List Customer
img196o.jpg

The canal under the tram bridge, Nottingham. This part of the film was quite badly light damaged as my camera decided to open up when I picked it up ruining the end of my film, but in my opinion this picture was actually improved by the light damage.

Fantastic light leak! I try to get his effect all the time (on purpose) with my Holga. The art of the light leak is getting it just right so that it enhances the subject rather than distracting from it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic light leak! I try to get his effect all the time (on purpose) with my Holga. The art of the light leak is getting it just right so that it enhances the subject rather than distracting from it.
Thanks. Too bad it didn't improve any of my other pictures but ruined the last six or seven, as they were the ones I took of Lincoln (which is a very beautiful city consisting of mostly Edwardian or older houses).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
People tend to be on their guard when they see a camera emerge. With the prevalence of point-and-shoot digital cameras and video devices it seems like the general population should be more or less accustomed to being on the receiving end of a camera lens, unlike in the pre-digital age when cameras were less user-friendly and therefore less ubiquitous. The opposite seems to be the case, with people preconditioned to smiling and posing and generally acting inhibited and unnatural. If you want to succeed in candid photography the best thing to do is keep the camera visible at all times so that your subject(s) become accustomed to its presence. Have it around your neck on a strap even when you aren't shooting. Taking your camera out just to take a shot and then putting it away has the air of formality and will 'alert' your subject that you are about to photograph them.

It also helps to keep a low profile. A bulky DSLR with a huge telephoto lens is more conspicuous than a small, easily portable camera. As the photographer, you want to draw as little attention to yourself and your equipment as possible. The great street photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson used only a 35mm Leica--the strangers he photographed seem unaware of his presence, even when he was only a few feet away.
Good advice :). My Praktica is quite bulky and can't be hung around my neck but I always make sure I take any photos of strangers at least 10-15m away from them so they don't notice me. That's worked for me so far.

Marla

A-List Customer
Good advice :). My Praktica is quite bulky and can't be hung around my neck but I always make sure I take any photos of strangers at least 10-15m away from them so they don't notice me. That's worked for me so far.

That seems kind of far. With a small (but good) camera and some stealth you can really get in the thick of things. If you so desire, that is.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Looking at my back yard after a snow fall last winter.

2010-12-26_10-55-04_837.jpg

Turtles at the North Carolina Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores.

2011-05-21_15-27-35_235.jpg

Hogwarts Castle at Harry Potter World, Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL.

2011-06-13_11-36-58_68.jpg

Sunflower which volunteered from a seed dropped from the bird feeder.

2011-06-10_16-59-48_840.jpg

All photos were taken with my Droid X.

Last edited:

Steven180

One of the Regulars
This thread is great! Some pretty amazing pictures here from everyone...thought about making a screen saver collage just from the pictures posted here from you good people! Keep it up!

Atomic Age- fantastic as always.

Philip A. and Gilboa, those pictures are incredible.

Just a couple from our last trip to Paris...

DSC_0410.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and makes it home safely.
M.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Best Framed

My two favorite photos I have taken over the years! The Stearmen, I only had 1000 speed film left, of course. And the second, I could not replicate if I tried, one shot, perfectly centered! Thats whats wrong with digital cameras, I never would have saved this shot for over 30 years, I would have hit delete!
img001.jpg
img002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko