Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases....GUYS !

sproily

Practically Family
What a funny thing, I had bought this waistcoat off a theaters sale a long time ago. I didn't pay much attention to it back then, but now that I found it... it's astonishing! The material is extremely thick and I'm not sure but it feels like silk all over. I think it might be very old. 1920's to 1930's. Pretty sure not 40's because of the war we had extremely little resources here.

kooks.jpg

kooko.jpg

In the last shot I have vest, trousers and jacket pretty much the same age

If I recall correctly it was about 5€

Man if I had know better back then.. I would have bought out everything!

Bugsy

One Too Many
sproily said:
What a funny thing, I had bought this waistcoat off a theaters sale a long time ago. I didn't pay much attention to it back then, but now that I found it... it's astonishing! The material is extremely thick and I'm not sure but it feels like silk all over. I think it might be very old. 1920's to 1930's. Pretty sure not 40's because of the war we had extremely little resources here.

kooks.jpg

kooko.jpg

In the last shot I have vest, trousers and jacket pretty much the same age

If I recall correctly it was about 5€

Man if I had know better back then.. I would have bought out everything!

How you constantly come upon these treasures, I'll never know, but you certainly look splendid in them. :eusa_clap

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Its anything post 1959 because of the union tag having the little 'Registered Trademark' symbol in the corner. Probably late 60s, the fabric almost looks early 70s to me somehow.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
repeatclicks; thank you for that info. I made special note of it for ongoing treasure hunting purposes.

---------------

sproily; I'm sure repeatclicks is correct, but you are certainly right about it looking much older. I wish I knew what it was made from. (Heck, I wish I knew what "Polyamide" is.) I initially thought it was something synthetic due to the texture but the unfortunate couple of moth holes indicate it's some tasty organic material like wool or raw silk.[huh] When I saw that pattern - and the bi-swing back - I couldn't resist.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

It's from around 1967 or '68 -- that short, sweet period when (the jackets of) certain U.S. men's suits really did look, feel and fit like their 1930s ancestors. If you change the buttons, close the center vent, and roll the lapels up to the top button, then you'll be made in the shade!

Is the back belted? What size is the jacket?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

It's from around 1967 or '68 -- that short, sweet period when (the jackets of) certain U.S. men's suits really did look, feel and fit like their 1930s ancestors. If you change the buttons, close the center vent, and roll the lapels up to the top button, then you'll be made in the shade!

Is the back belted? What size is the jacket?

Marc, thank you very much for giving me those tips. I very much appreciate your knowledge.

Yep, the maker of this piece was taking cues from an earlier era for sure.

It is three-button in front and I misted it with water to hand roll the lapels as shown in the previous pics. They were pressed quite flat when I got it and the whole garment was crinkled. Came back no problem.

Unfortunately, no back belt. I'm still hunting for one of those...

I take a 38L and I'd say this fits like a 40 reg. A slight bit of extra room in the shoulders and a smidge short on the sleeves for my taste but all in all not a bad fit. Wore it around town today. I really dig this jacket! :p

DSC_0005-2.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
1950s Reversible Ricky Jacket

Bought at a VERY good price. Had two very small holes which are being repaired free of charge from the seller at a professional tailors. Light turquoise on one side with grey/tan with black lines and red, blue and yellow flecks. Love it.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3-1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred