Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases....GUYS !

Hi,
It looks really beautiful and have a nice color, you have nice choice heads of to you. I have a same design jacket but it quit long with gray color. I really love that jacket, I have post picture of it with in a few days.

Ike C

New in Town
Just got this hunting jacket, and this light weight flannel
huntingjackectjpg.jpg

newshirt.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know any tricks for pinpointing the age of a vest?

Look very closely at the buckle. Sometimes they will have a patent number on them. With a bit of searching, that can at least tell you that is after a certain date.

I know this isn't always appropriate, but look at the label (if there is one). What period does the font used on the label suggest? If the design and styling looks like the 1950s then it isn't likely to be from the 1930s.

If the label has a company address, that can be searched. I recently had a tie that gave the address for the company as Berlin. Since they moved production from Berlin in 1948, that suggested pre-1948. These things aren't definite since companies sometimes use the same labels for years, but it can be a guide.

Washing guides (dry clean only etc) can also be an indicator - not that i would know exactly when such instructions started being put on clothes.

Look in the pockets: I once found a tailors document in a suit pocket. The customer's phone code written on it had been changed by hand, showing that the suit was made when area codes were changing. Thus I was able to date it exactly.

On British stuff, I am told that the amount of thread used in the label is a way of determining whether it is pre-wartime rationing.

However, that is only a guide. I can't tell you any determining factors simply from cut or pockets etc.

Good luck.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Look very closely at the buckle. Sometimes they will have a patent number on them. With a bit of searching, that can at least tell you that is after a certain date.

I know this isn't always appropriate, but look at the label (if there is one). What period does the font used on the label suggest? If the design and styling looks like the 1950s then it isn't likely to be from the 1930s.

If the label has a company address, that can be searched. I recently had a tie that gave the address for the company as Berlin. Since they moved production from Berlin in 1948, that suggested pre-1948. These things aren't definite since companies sometimes use the same labels for years, but it can be a guide.

Washing guides (dry clean only etc) can also be an indicator - not that i would know exactly when such instructions started being put on clothes.

Look in the pockets: I once found a tailors document in a suit pocket. The customer's phone code written on it had been changed by hand, showing that the suit was made when area codes were changing. Thus I was able to date it exactly.

On British stuff, I am told that the amount of thread used in the label is a way of determining whether it is pre-wartime rationing.

However, that is only a guide. I can't tell you any determining factors simply from cut or pockets etc.

Good luck.
This vest lacks a belt. The only tag is the one on the bottom that reads "100% wool except for decorations", along with the serial numbers.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm SO excited. I just won a really cool Ralph Lauren 3 piece suit on ebay. Ever since I was a kid I have always wanted a 3 piece suit with lapels on the vest. I finally got one! Its not "old", but probably about 15-20 years old. I believe it was made to look like a 1920's suit however, or at least take some styling cues from that time period. There's just something about lapels on a vest when matched with a jacket and trousers that really gets me excited.

RLSUIT1.jpg

RLSUIT2.jpg

RLSUIT3.jpg

RLSUIT4.jpg

RLSUIT5.jpg

RLSUIT6.jpg

RLSUIT7.jpg

RLSUIT8.jpg

RLSUIT9.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
Was walking by the pajama isle of a local Salvation Army and spotted the lapels on these. They are in like-new condition and fit, and from my research they appear to be early 60s. Darn strong stitching and a very deep seat.

b52c164d.jpg

aebc4954.jpg

eff1e9f4.jpg

384cf1fd.jpg

I'm SO excited. I just won a really cool Ralph Lauren 3 piece suit on ebay. Ever since I was a kid I have always wanted a 3 piece suit with lapels on the vest. I finally got one! Its not "old", but probably about 15-20 years old. I believe it was made to look like a 1920's suit however, or at least take some styling cues from that time period. There's just something about lapels on a vest when matched with a jacket and trousers that really gets me excited.

RLSUIT1.jpg

RLSUIT2.jpg

RLSUIT3.jpg

RLSUIT4.jpg

RLSUIT5.jpg

RLSUIT6.jpg

RLSUIT7.jpg

RLSUIT8.jpg

RLSUIT9.jpg

Nice waist coat. RL makes good quality clothing, I have some 100% silk blazers from the sixties by RL.
They will be tomorrow's vintage clothing.
Thanks for posting the suit and wear it well.
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

davidraphael

Practically Family
Picked up this great vintage-y leather jacket for EUR 15 at a flea market. Quite pleased with it!
The leather feels a little dry and hard like it could with conditioning. Any recommendations?

(incidentally, that's our 1930s Bavarian wardrobe behind the jacket. :) )

img7005xxx.jpg

img7003xxxx.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW