Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
not really a purchase, but kind of exciting to know that i have this!
in all black!
my grandma gave it to me years ago and said she though it was from the 20s, turns out it was more from the 30s.. but! it seems to be worth some money.. the one on ebay is "worn" and still going for a lot.
bda3_1_b.JPG

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tough Cookie said:
Daisy, I adore that fruit necklace, seriously. I hope you wear it much--or sell it in your ebay store. :D

Nothing says "warm weather is coming!" better than fruit jewelry, eh?

Oh, I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of both the necklace and the bracelet. I'm actually watching a few more on the bay. I just see them as a good investment. Maybe if I have one too many I'll put it in my store, but for now I'm keeping it all to myself!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It's been a while as I've been on a diet since the pink dress (which received rave reviews today btw) but this was only $12!

BlackFloralTieredSkirt.jpg

Of course I had to bid. There are so few skirts in my size that come around.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
If it were me I'd try to take it apart and add to it to make it fit. Like, if you want to pick up red use red fabric and add panels, know what I mean? Maybe do a search for vintage and western jacket patterns to see if you get any ideas. Or take panels from the jacket and applique them to another top you love.

Otherwise, a pillow, lampshade, purse as you said...

I wanna see it!!

Nikki

Grnidwitch said:
I won a bark cloth jacket from ebay. It arrived and the size is very small. I've contacted the seller to ask their return policy. In the mean time, should I have to keep this jacket (I know no one this small except maybe a 12yo), do any of you ladies have suggestions on what I can make from the fabric. Keep in mind, really isn't alot. I'm thinking purse, make up bag, etc. Any other suggestions?

I really loved this fabric. Blue background, cowboy sitting on fence, horses, clouds. So kitchy and so me.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
You know, I know I answered on the other thread too, but what about light tan or dark green pumps? I just went into my bedroom and saw my shoes and got to thinking about it.

I suppose if you're realy wanting vintage, oxford heels might be better, tho.

The dark green would look smashing, I think. This is only my second vintage dress. (My other is a chinese dress) I'm determined to piece together a nice outfit. Vintage shoes would be wonderful, but I am SOOO scared of buying them off the internet for fear they might not fit. I think I'm going to head off to Dallas and scour some vintage shops...

Thanks so much for your help!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
If it were me I'd try to take it apart and add to it to make it fit. Like, if you want to pick up red use red fabric and add panels, know what I mean? Maybe do a search for vintage and western jacket patterns to see if you get any ideas. Or take panels from the jacket and applique them to another top you love.

Otherwise, a pillow, lampshade, purse as you said...

I wanna see it!!

Nikki

Nikki,

As it turned out, they accepted returns. I can't seem to get pics to download here. It was just adorable. If you go to Ebay and type in bark cloth you will see other cowboy themed prints. It was similar to those. I won't give up on getting my bark cloth. I just won a halter dress, very mod. It was listed as being for a bustier person. I'm hoping it fits, but if not, there is enough fabric to make a reallly kitchy skirt.

Daisy Buchanan

I hit the jackpot with this win!
It's a limited edition, first printing of "1940's Hairstyles"
The seller sold it with some hair accessories including some wave clips, which I know are pretty easy to come by, but it'll be nice to have some more. I think it also comes with some snoods and bobby pins. We vintage gals can never have enough of either of those!:)
I do hope that this is the real deal. I do have the book already. But I thought owning a limited edition first printing would make it's worth a bit higher, being that it seems to be in high demand. There is someone on Amazon selling a regular copy of it for $300! I can't imagine what they would try to sell this one for. Funny thing is, I don't even find the book all that great! I mean it has some great ideas for hairstyles, but I find the directions to be a bit hard to follow. But maybe now that I'm a bit better at doing my hair I should take another look at it, I might find it more useful.
I don't know how many printings of this book that they did, but I know it wasn't a lot. I really didn't think I'd win this. I think because it was up in the middle of the day it had less bids than it would have if the auction ended in the evening.
OK, sorry to go on. I'm just really psyched about this win. I know, it's not like owning a first edition Hemingway or Steinbeck, but I do think this is a good collectors item to own.
38e6_1_b.JPG

3928_1_b.JPG

faac_1_b.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Small world! Daisy, the seller you won this from is one of my best friends! Janine bought the book new at the RE-MIX shoe store a few years ago. It is indeed a first edition, predating the version with Gene Tierney on the cover. You got a very good value for it ... an identical copy sold a few days ago on eBay for nearly double the price.

You've seen Janine's marvelous vintage shoe collection before: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12492&highlight=Janine Most of them she bought deadstock from RE-MIX, back when the store was still selling never-worn vintage shoes.

Daisy Buchanan

Marc Chevalier said:
Small world! Daisy, the seller you won this from is one of my best friends! Janine bought the book new at the RE-MIX shoe store a few years ago. It is indeed a first edition, predating the version with Gene Tierney on the cover. You got a very good value for it ... an identical copy sold a few days ago on eBay for nearly double the price.

You've seen Janine's marvelous vintage shoe collection before: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12492&highlight=Janine Most of them she bought deadstock from RE-MIX, back when the store was still selling never-worn vintage shoes.

WOW!! Thanks for the useful info Marc! I really didn't have a doubt that it was the real thing, a book like that would probably be difficult to duplicate. I did make immediate payment, so hopefully she'll leave me positive feedback. I will make sure to do so for her.
I can't believe the price the other copy went for. That's why I didn't mind paying what I did. It's the most money I've ever paid for a paperback book, but in comparison to the other one, I knew I got a pretty good deal.
Make sure to tell Janine I say thanks!:)

Miss_Bella_Hell

Target - Isaac Mizrahi.

Well, I found the Target dresses to be universally unflattering, unfortunately, but I did get two cute tops:

51KYja9ZS+L._SS260_.jpg

and

41i66FeZVGL._SS260_.jpg

The sweater runs HUGE - I got it in an XS to get that tight sweater-girl look.

This dress was cute, I didn't get it though because I think it looks kind of like a tablecloth.
51+yvRc1wGL._SS260_.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

Hey gals, I just got this Suzy Perette for $56. It's more than I usually spend but I have THREE weddings to go to this summer.

1175633678369_DSC_0039_edited.JPG

Ps this model really bugs me, maybe because when I see her I know I can't afford the dresses! This is pretty much a steal for this seller.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hey gals, I just got this Suzy Perette for $56. It's more than I usually spend but I have THREE weddings to go to this summer.

1175633678369_DSC_0039_edited.JPG

Ps this model really bugs me, maybe because when I see her I know I can't afford the dresses! This is pretty much a steal for this seller.

Did you notice that the dresses are photoshopped over her body? So that's not exactly how the dress would look on someone.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
Did you notice that the dresses are photoshopped over her body? So that's not exactly how the dress would look on someone.

They are?! It doesn't look that way! That's totally weird!

I heard on another messageboard that someone bought a dress from that seller and the vintage tag was sewn in. The girl who bought it said it was obviously a homemade vintage item, but had a department store tag from another dress sewn in place. I don't know if thats 100% true or not, just what I heard.

Anyway, it's a darling dress so I hope everything works out!

Miss_Bella_Hell

pigeon toe said:
They are?! It doesn't look that way! That's totally weird!

I heard on another messageboard that someone bought a dress from that seller and the vintage tag was sewn in. The girl who bought it said it was obviously a homemade vintage item, but had a department store tag from another dress sewn in place. I don't know if thats 100% true or not, just what I heard.

Anyway, it's a darling dress so I hope everything works out!

Yeah I've been to some vintage stores where they sell just vintage tags separately for $1 or so, which is VERY sneaky. I don't mind spending the money though if the dress is cute and flattering.

As for the model, she IS an extra small, so of course the dress wouldn't fit her so I know it's altered. Are you certain it's photoshopped? That seems like tons of extra work.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Oh is it photoshop? I thought it was just creative pinning.

Just look at the picture, something's just not right about it - the depth is all off. The lines around the edges of the dress are too straight. There's no depth between the dress and the models body - it looks flat like a dress on a paper doll. It has to be photoshopped, I can't think of another explaination for the picture looking weird - That's why everything looks so great on the model (no matter what size or style) and the dresses look so fantastic. Either that or the model is really an evil mannequinn brought to life by black magic in an attempt to make a lot of money on eBay.

What does everyone else think - photoshopped or not? Maybe because I do graphic design/editing for a living I notice it more than the general public? It sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred