Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Rockabilly Kitsch on a Comeback?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Both are amazing. The second one in particular....pink diamond pattern, XL, DEADSTOCK???
WOAH!
I don't think the style is making a comeback, (I didn't see much at Viva Las Vegas this year, and if not there then where right?) but the collector's market is alive and well.

Last edited:

YETI

A-List Customer
^^ You may be correct. But seeing those 2 items sell for so much reminded me of when I first got into vintage in the early 90s. I was told that anything in a "thunderbird" or "argyle" pattern from the 50s sold at a premium. This was around '94 '95.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Guess the prices went up so high because of the combination of size and pattern.... and 2 or 3 bidders with a very deep interest.
I think you won´t see one of those to be worn anywhere in public they will have their places somewhere in a collectors shrine :D

flat-top

^^ You may be correct. But seeing those 2 items sell for so much reminded me of when I first got into vintage in the early 90s. I was told that anything in a "thunderbird" or "argyle" pattern from the 50s sold at a premium. This was around '94 '95.
Ah those were some good times! The difference then is that I would have bought that shirt (if I could have afforded it of course), unpinned it and wore it!
I have racks and racks of that stuff still. I suppose I should sell it. The more time goes by, the more I realize that I'm probably never gonna wear it again.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Ah those were some good times! The difference then is that I would have bought that shirt (if I could have afforded it of course), unpinned it and wore it!
I have racks and racks of that stuff still. I suppose I should sell it. The more time goes by, the more I realize that I'm probably never gonna wear it again.

If you´re not a teenager or young adult you may better not wear it. IMHO those patterns look kind of wrong to my eyes if worn from "older guys" (can´t say it better).
I know a guy in Berlin who sells vintage stuff from the 40s and 50s... great collection and great apparel he´s selling. This guy is in his 40s now and don´t wear all of his stuff becaus he knows he´s kinda grown out of it...
So just sell it and buy tons of newsboys and casquettes mate :D

Lord Brett

New in Town
If you´re not a teenager or young adult you may better not wear it. IMHO those patterns look kind of wrong to my eyes if worn from "older guys" (can´t say it better).
I know a guy in Berlin who sells vintage stuff from the 40s and 50s... great collection and great apparel he´s selling. This guy is in his 40s now and don´t wear all of his stuff becaus he knows he´s kinda grown out of it...
So just sell it and buy tons of newsboys and casquettes mate :D

I sort of know where you're coming from, but where would many of us on this forum be if we all started dressing 'appropriately'? I've thought about this as I've got older (47 years old in two week's time) I've started to think 'bollocks to what people think - I want to make an effort and dress how I want'.

When I was younger I was quite the flamboyant dresser - parents of old friends still ask if I have my red patent leather winkle-pickers (I do!). As I aged hair-loss and fat made me dowdy I dressed down, but I was miserable. These days I know I want to dress with a certain style, without trying to look like a teenager.

Middle-aged men where I live are forced to wear those ridiculous baggy-arsed jeans the kids wear because that's all most shops will keep. These days I keep my weight down and try to look my best, and want the freedom to express myself through clothing. The only limits should be those you set yourself.

Attached is a good photographic example - Dexys have released their first album for 27 years and have adopted a 1940s look (apparently two of the members did this quite independently and then bumped into each other). I think they look great, and who cares if it's 'age appropriate'. It has style, and that's what matters.

Kevin-Rowland-with-Dexys-008.jpg

Last edited:

flat-top

Wow!
That's pretty cool!

[video=youtube;NS1Ar3ZduSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1Ar3ZduSM&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There are still some vintage look shirts being made by Nat Nast, floating around, I have a few that are close to the pink and diamond shirt, but are not flannel...they are silk.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I sort of know where you're coming from, but where would many of us on this forum be if we all started dressing 'appropriately'? I've thought about this as I've got older (47 years old in two week's time) I've started to think 'bollocks to what people think - I want to make an effort and dress how I want'.

When I was younger I was quite the flamboyant dresser - parents of old friends still ask if I have my red patent leather winkle-pickers (I do!). As I aged hair-loss and fat made me dowdy I dressed down, but I was miserable. These days I know I want to dress with a certain style, without trying to look like a teenager.

Middle-aged men where I live are forced to wear those ridiculous baggy-arsed jeans the kids wear because that's all most shops will keep. These days I keep my weight down and try to look my best, and want the freedom to express myself through clothing. The only limits should be those you set yourself.

Attached is a good photographic example - Dexys have released their first album for 27 years and have adopted a 1940s look (apparently two of the members did this quite independently and then bumped into each other). I think they look great, and who cares if it's 'age appropriate'. It has style, and that's what matters.

Guess I have to write more detailed to make clear what I want to say. My comment is meant especially for kind of those xtreme patterns and/ or colour combinations. I´m not speaking of appropriately/ tory dressing by no means.
And speaking of those (IMHO) xtremes it just doesn´t look good to my eyes. Myself would not feel confident wearing this. And I´ve recognized this feelings by many "older" cats in the r ´n´ r scene here.
I´m about 2 years away from my own 40s. So I may get some insights then that I don´t have now ;)
I´m the last one to tell other people what to wear or not... but I have my meaning and feelings about it... as surely many people have about me... but that´s absolutely okay.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have always felt that a person should dress how they feel comfortable dressing. Not all the styles that exist are "eye" appealing to me, the pants hangin' off the rear end seems sloppy and rather foolish, I would never wear pants at "half mast"...but also I would never tell anyone what to wear. Not my place to do so.

I think the individuals in the picture look fine and I even like the fact it is a statement of individuality for each of them. They all get a "thumbs up" from me.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
In answer to the question posed in the title of this thread . . . I don't think rockabilly style has ever fully gone out, at least in certain circles. It may fade in and out of fashion with the mainstream, but there is a strong underground scene which is constant.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
In answer to the question posed in the title of this thread . . . I don't think rockabilly style has ever fully gone out, at least in certain circles. It may fade in and out of fashion with the mainstream, but there is a strong underground scene which is constant.

I have to agree, it does remain around most places, and does have an appeal. I like it personally.

flat-top

I'm not sure if I'm not wearing my crazy Rockabilly style because of my age (I thankfully look much younger than I am), I just basically don't get the opportunity to wear pink Hollywood slacks and Lurex shirts anymore. My look has morphed into a style that works for day to day (you know...workwear, newsboys....zzzzzzz).
I DID have fun packing for this year's Viva Las Vegas though. I busted out some Killer Diller threads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner