Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The one issue with vintage frames is that the plastic can become brittle with age and not a lot of opticians will touch them for that reason.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Questions answered for Imoldfashioned...

imoldfashioned said:
These are from Target, no? Can you tell me how the quality and fit are--I've been looking at them online.

Also, fabulous glasses FDG--they look perfect on you!

Both dresses are lined and the outer shells are 100% cotton. The fabric has a good weight to it. Light,but not flimsy. Perfect for Spring and Summer.
The swiss dot(pink) fits a bit long in the torso(I'm very short-waisted),so it is probably designed to sit at the natural waist and the gingham sits perfectly at my natural waistline so probably made to sit at the top of the natural waistline(Though still too long to be considered empire).
The length sits mid-calf(I'm 5'1).

Side note:The lavender gingham comes with a little tie at the waist and would be so cute worn in longer hair tied in a bow.I'd wear a thin white belt in it's stead.

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars

Picked up these shoes in Kmart. I was very excited as it's so hard these days to pick up pretty looking shoes with heels that aren't stilletto or ballet flat. I almost bought a pair of VERY vintage looking stillettos though.... if only I had the money!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
The one issue with vintage frames is that the plastic can become brittle with age and not a lot of opticians will touch them for that reason.

Not here, they'll happily take your money, you have to pay first, and if they break, tough luck.

Of course I asked them at the time, the guy who did my test etc, was a total eyewear nerd, talking about all the vintage frames he collects. He said mine were pristine, no discolouration, no cracks, no brittleness, no funny smells. They might as well have been repro, the condition they were in.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Oh a nerd! I love nerds. Has anyone seen "Revenge of the nerds"? If so, has anyone seen "American Splendour" too? A real life nerd is touched be the former.
I'm trying to go through this thread, but I'm only on p 128, and it keeps growing like crazy, so sorry if haven't commented your lovely buys. I just sit at home saying Ooh and Aah watching what you gals bought a year ago!
Fleur De Guerre said:
Of course I asked them at the time, the guy who did my test etc, was a total eyewear nerd, talking about all the vintage frames he collects. He said mine were pristine, no discolouration, no cracks, no brittleness, no funny smells. They might as well have been repro, the condition they were in.

glass susie

New in Town
Warbaby said:
The three matching combs in the center look like they may be real tortoise, not celluloid or plastic. Can't tell absolutely from just the photos, but I've done a lot of tortoise restoration and those look right to me. The one on the top left may also be tortoise, and the big one below it is also a contender. Just thought you might like to know...
Thanks Warbaby, but close up they are all plastic/celluloid and that was how they were sold. I would have been shocked with the price I paid if they were 'real' but they just look good in the photos. I can't wait to wear them.

MissHannah

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
I got these OSHKOSH B'GOSH jeans for $25. Apparently from the early 50s, however I want to check them over once they arrive, as $25 for early 50s jeans sounds a little odd to me.

8b071ha8.jpg

I need another pair either way though, as I only have one pair at the moment.

Ooh - I nearly bought those too! If you don't like them when they arrive drop me a line ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I've been looking for a properly sized (large enough to fit my A4 notebooks) frame bag ever since I started at the university, and I finally found one today. Maybe it's 50's? I don't know, what do you think?

It's made of very nice pig-skin. I should've taken a picture of the inside too, it is lined with a silky orange fabric and is in very good condition. It has two seperate departments, it's perfect, it can even fit my laptop!

2369041172_2147a91f8b.jpg

2368205739_32ff9e4808.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
ShooShoo..Love that blouse!

I've been very good lately with not spending money on vintage things but today I broke down. lol

I ran across an old antiques place out in the country and down in the basement was vintage clothes! I found a wonderful 50's summer dress...and it goes great with my bolero jacket and belt! Can't wait to wear it when the weather gets warmer. The print is atomic awesome!
2374264901_521bf93535.jpg

I also found this really cool 40's hat but I'm not sure how I feel about it now that I brought it home! Here's the back of it! Very cool but very BIG!
2375073654_9a06dfb60a.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Thanks gals!

The hat is adorable and in mint condition but I just don't know if it works for me? Now I see why it's always important to go shopping with a girl friend!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
The coolest old lady was selling her vintage things at my work today, and I ended up buying this fabulous bag:

2374811435_f297492de4.jpg

My mermaid purse!! The seahorse, shells, coral, etc. are all real. I'm in love.

The lady told me I look like a movie star, too! Awww.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
My two most recent purchases:

sw_jpg.JPG

A Swirl wrap dress from the late 40s or early 50s. I have loved everything I've ever seen from Swirl in those eras so I'm glad to have one of my own!

116473676_tp.jpg

Kelly green plaid dress.

My mum bought me a demi parure of Sarah Coventry, which was sold to her as 40s, but is in fact 60s. Luckily it was very cheap and I absolutely love it, so I couldn't care less what era is is!
The earrings are identical to these, but the brooch is in more of an asymmetrical leaf shape than the one here. One day I'll get myself a camera!

f56f_1.JPG

(incidentally this one is on eBay now, starting bid of $199! My mum paid around $20! lol)

Edit: I've had a look around on t'internet and all the sets I can find look like this one! The brooch is definitely Sarah Cov and it matches the earrings perfectly, but it's not the same as this "Blue Lagoon" set. Mysterious!

Folly

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Not here, they'll happily take your money, you have to pay first, and if they break, tough luck.

I've had the opposite problem in the UK. I have a pair from the fifties and no optician I've spoken to will touch them because they're worried in case they break them. I'm sure if I forced my money upon them and insisted, they'd do it mind you lol

Folly

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
My two most recent purchases:

My mum bought me a demi parure of Sarah Coventry, which was sold to her as 40s, but is in fact 60s. Luckily it was very cheap and I absolutely love it, so I couldn't care less what era is is!
The earrings are identical to these, but the brooch is in more of an asymmetrical leaf shape than the one here. One day I'll get myself a camera!

f56f_1.JPG

(incidentally this one is on eBay now, starting bid of $199! My mum paid around $20! lol)

Edit: I've had a look around on eBay and all the sets I can find look like this one! The brooch is definitely Sarah Cov and it matches the earrings perfectly, but it's not the same as this "Blue Lagoon" set. Mysterious!

The brooch reminds me colour wise, of one of mine, it's such a delicious blue/green isn't it?

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Folly said:
I've had the opposite problem in the UK. I have a pair from the fifties and no optician I've spoken to will touch them because they're worried in case they break them. I'm sure if I forced my money upon them and insisted, they'd do it mind you lol

My opticians wouldn't put my lenses in my old glasses - and we're talking 5 year old frames here..

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I was just lucky to get a glasses nerd serving me!

Thanks Folly, and yes the colour is spectacular! I need to get a camera so I can take some pics of another two pieces of vintage jewellery my mum gave me. One belonged to my dad's grandmother so probably came from the teens or 20s, and another is a lapis lazuli and pearl strand, which is lovely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR